Where the content sega?

@Riesz

They seem to care about the game being in bad state but they fail to even entertain the thought that the game would've been in the same bad state or worse even if Sega hadn't let people see the state of the game.

You should care too when a game is called the release version of the game and does not feel like it. That's misleading and it's within people's right to expect more because of it being called the release version.

You set your expectations of what release should be yourself, but by any actual solid definition release is when the developer calls it a release. The game is f2p and everyone could see for themselves whether it's enough for them to consider paying and how much. You weren't mislead if you immediately renewed every single subscription and bought a rappy pack at the release. You just realized that reality isn't always what you imagine it to be.

Also you make the assumption everyone has another game to play, what if you don't?

In hypothetical situation where you don't have a game to play at this time, and Sega delayed NGS to 2022, you would be left in an even worse situation. Game wouldn't magically have content in 2021 if Sega had delayed it to 2022, and the game wouldn't magically have more content in 2022 if 2021 hadn't been the release date, unless you want to count in delays to development caused by bug fixing.

look all in all its clear that sega want to kill the game. nothing they do so far show any thing but this. make the only content they wanted to add before winter UQ show this the most.

@Hooonter See, the thing about f2p games is that they tend to not actually be that without serious time investment (for some this is part of the fun and I can't fault them enjoying finding ways to efficiently earn paid content and such without paying a dime) and sooner or later you will either quit, or fall for the siren's call that is gambling/lootboxes/gacha (all the same thing really) and go down the rabbithole. The problem here is that Sega is concerned enough about people not gambling that they put out a survey. While it is impossible to know the extent of how badly they're hurting from this, it does point to a flaw in your argument: if nobody spends money on the game, how does it make money? How does it keep operating?

Sega's aim is to get as many people as possible to spend money to gamble on cosmetics, so that they can maintain a steady flow of revenue, while cutting costs whenever possible (corporation 101 right there). This is the one thing we can know for sure out of everything else and can build upon that to make an educated guess as to what happened with NGS and what Sega is planning to do next.

The first one I could come up with is that Sega was overambitious with NGS, not reinvesting enough money into it to ensure it would engage the playerbase and keep it playing for an extended period of time, whether by fleshing out the game more or by creating a backlog of content to roll out at a steady rate post-launch.

It's 5am so I'll stop here, but hth.

@IAMCRAIG

You're completely missing any points made in favor of generic badmouthing of Sega. Sega's fucked up by not having enough ready for 2021. This fuck up can't be amended by delaying it further. Rettem (probably) next year is Rettem next year regardless of whether I can play the game or not.

@Gilver-Redgrave said in Where the content sega?:

@Milk

Blue Protocol is also made by the people that are responsible for the "Tales of Series". So battle system should be very good aswell.

It looks amazing! So does Project BBQ, I'm bummed there's no release date for that one. I bought Sword of Legends last night just so I'd have something to do until NGS either improves or kicks the bucket, just want some good ol' gaming on my weekends again.

cry more tho

Numbers.png

August 2020 when the game released has a peak of 19,684. The following month we get an average 7.6k players. June 2021 when NGS release, we're at a peak of 59,197. The following month, we get an average of 7.6k players.

The game was at its lowest point in May, with at peak of 5,581. Let's say we go about re adding the peak population from initial release back to this value, just to get a rough calculation for those who may have let PSO2, but came back to NGS, that would be 14,103. So, roughly, NGS attracted give or take, an additional 45,094 players on release.

It terms of drops in the player base, we are on course to follow the same pattern as when the game initially came to the West. It is more or less indicating that the fans of the series are still sticking around, but then that also means that all the gains Sega made by attracting a new audience has been lost.

Now granted, as @Gilver-Redgrave pointed out, not all of those who played in PSO2 base had the specs to continue to play due the the graphical update that came with NGS. Still, the offset is minimal if we are on the same path as before, since any new players still around are more or less replacing those from base that cannot continue playing for whatever reason.

It is now just a matter of watching how things continue to play out. At the very least, there is a passionate base that loves the franchise that WANTS to stick around, but Sega shouldn't take advantage of that loyalty.

@Hooonter said in Where the content sega?:

@Riesz You set your expectations of what release should be yourself, but by any actual solid definition release is when the developer calls it a release. The game is f2p and everyone could see for themselves whether it's enough for them to consider paying and how much.

You're right it's ridiculous for me to expect New Genesis to have at least have content that lasts as long as almost every single other free to play mmorpg or other similar genres, where if they have months of time for people to be playing they have close to a month worth of content every month, and not just 2 weeks (maybe 3 if we're really pushing it, probably even less for the stuff they're adding until winter) worth of it every month.

There are other games that do this too I'm sure, but those are the exception, not the standard. The majority of mmorpgs or whatever you call NGS (doesn't really matter the idea is I mean games that function similarly to NGS in most aspects), have a month worth of content for you know... a month worth of time. And then either release another really big piece of content every month or 2 since then, or release small amounts of content every couple weeks that are enough to hold the players over for the whole time.

I played many free to play mmorpgs and I can think of 2 or 3 games that on release had lack of content anywhere near the extent of New Genesis.

Most fricken mobile games have/had more content on release than NGS has. That is a sad thing to say, but it is 100% true. If you're making a PC game or Console game now, and you can say on release it has less content than a mobile game had on release, you're doing something incredibly wrong.

You know it's bad when players like me who work anywhere from 60-70 hours a week ran out of content to do. It's one thing for players to run out of content like when they grind out for an entire week and forget to even sleep, but a very casual player who has no time for that? It's ridiculous how little there was, I never make it through content before more is released on any game. I got a three day weekend and was looking forward to some game time but I ain't getting it here so I've had to buy a new game instead, this is a brand new freaking game only out a month that should be loaded with stuff to do but I've already got to fill the void with something else. Not a great first impression.

I have plenty of content from just trying to grind out Mastery III for my future units and weapon. Trying out different combo nations with multi-weapons. Working out better ways of taking down Gigantix solo. Farming mesta for cosmetics and costumes for that unique look. Helping my friend learn and grind for their gear items. Buying and sell items to increase my money flow and savings in game. Speculating Sega approach with the community in game on what Sega future approach to game content ......like the farming task they did in the story line and if they going to add something like that in game. Like that of the guild hall photon Tree. Clues to future content imbedded in the storyline quest. Hey I farmed for the White Disaster Camo and got it for 7mil! I have plenty of content and finding more every day!

@Rain-Gnyu said in Where the content sega?:

I have plenty of content from just trying to grind out Mastery III for my future units and weapon. Trying out different combo nations with multi-weapons. Working out better ways of taking down Gigantix solo. Farming mesta for cosmetics and costumes for that unique look. Helping my friend learn and grind for their gear items. Buying and sell items to increase my money flow and savings in game. Speculating Sega approach with the community in game on what Sega future approach to game content ......like the farming task they did in the story line and if they going to add something like that in game. Like that of the guild hall photon Tree. Clues to future content imbedded in the storyline quest. Hey I farmed for the White Disaster Camo and got it for 7mil! I have plenty of content and finding more every day!

Sounds more like you are scrapping the barrel to try to make it look like you have content.

@Rain-Gnyu said in Where the content sega?:

Good for you, but for the majority of the players that have played this game, this will not be enough to keep them interested.

Meseta grinding in NGS is not fun. Augment grinding in NGS is not fun. Material grinding in NGS is not fun. Buying cosmetics is really not fun right now because of how screwed up the player market is.

All of this is tedious. If the vast majority of the game I am playing is tedious, then eventually I am just going to stop playing it and move on to a game that is fun to play.

Game's dying bois, try another game. SEGA ruined one of their best franchises yet.

@Not-Important ironically not the first time it's happened for this one. To this day I theorize that sega delayed pso2 global for 7 years because they knew in their hearts that pso2 would be hated in its launch state like psu.

@Flowen231 no they just never cared to bring it here. Only resently they discovered that people out of Japan Yakuza games. The just never think we will like it. As strange as it is most of Japan really think people like Japanese things out of Japan.