Where the content sega?

The open world was a development trap(as it always is) and a complete waste of time and resources(as it always is). There's zero benefit in making this game open world over instanced lobbies like PSO2. The devs have to do more, players get less content and less to do. It's a lose/lose situation.

There's just nothing to do in the world, and no, gigantix is NOT end game content. That's like saying public quests are content...no one thinks that. They're ok side content but not end game.

Don't expect content, though. People are blowing $200 per AC scratch and Sega is spending so little to keep the game afloat that it's just pure profits.

@XenoBladeX37645 said in Where the content sega?:

I mean...what more was there to do on the base game? It was done already

A scant minority got through Space-Time Interstice and Twisted With Hatred, especially on Global, and the kneecapping of the progression leading into those barely a couple months after their release has made it harder now than it was before NGS released, and I'm sure some people would still have liked to go through that progression if it hadn't been for that.

The last class reworking saw buffs to Fighter, Γ‰toile and (barely) Bouncer which remains a scuffed class. They could spend a few minutes reworking those a bit, especially since they're probably starting to do the same with N-Bouncer around this time.

There's complaints about cosmetic availability especially for F2P players. with New Genesis not ready to add mechanisms to provide some of those (e.g. N-Mission Pass) and no new outfits that aren't made for an AC scratch available, they could leverage classic PSO2 to provide NGS-usable content like emotes and accessories, especially since many never were released on Global. Heck they could even add periodic content to Treasure Shop as they did on JP like the first 3-4 OST albums' music discs which never made it to Global either.

@Miraglyth There plenty of things jp got that global just isnt getting. People have to accept that

And none of that warrants keeping the game around full sale. People should've already understood the game was done when the story ended. The last bit of the games life was just event and campaign filler tbh

@Milk Those areas are straight-up not open yet.

@Miraglyth There plenty of things jp got that global just isnt getting. People have to accept that

What nonsense logic is that? "It didn't happen so it shouldn't happen!"

The point you replied to was "This wouldn't be so bad if sega hadn't deliberately ruined pso2" and the question you asked was "what more was there to do". Restoring some of the removals and in the case of Global giving us some of the content preservation in the first place is an answer to that, and one that could be used as a low-effort means of extending the longevity of NGS right now.

And none of that warrants keeping the game around full sale. People should've already understood the game was done when the story ended.

That's like saying OG PSO1 was done when you beat Dark Falz in Ruins Normal at level 25 with 5β˜… gear and no rares. Post-story content isn't somehow invalidated as something to do, especially considering those most left with nothing to do in NGS right now are those who've done virtually everything to do in NGS and by definition need something to do.

So I'm super late to the party on this one, but the thing people need to understand is that the content drought is due to the success of PSO2. That game had the advantage of having quests and instances that you could repeat at will, but as far as content goes, it was also fairly dry. Most players didn't really mind this though, so sega is just continuing their successful business model. You're not wrong if you think that people got spoiled by global cramming content, but that doesn't detract from the fact that content was scarce, and that was a problem.

@Miraglyth said in Where the content sega?:

What nonsense logic is that? "It didn't happen so it shouldn't happen!"

The point you replied to was "This wouldn't be so bad if sega hadn't deliberately ruined pso2" and the question you asked was "what more was there to do". Restoring some of the removals and in the case of Global giving us some of the content preservation in the first place is an answer to that, and one that could be used as a low-effort means of extending the longevity of NGS right now.

And none of that warrants keeping the game around full sale. People should've already understood the game was done when the story ended.

That's like saying OG PSO1 was done when you beat Dark Falz in Ruins Normal at level 25 with 5β˜… gear and no rares. Post-story content isn't somehow invalidated as something to do, especially considering those most left with nothing to do in NGS right now are those who've done virtually everything to do in NGS and by definition need something to do.

You're not wrong, but you're kind of comparing apples to oranges. When PSO1 released it was basically a full gaming experience, and every time it was updated it gained more, but ultimately retained the same combat loop and general things to do, just with more stuff. PSO1 was not only built with full experiences released in mind, but it was also built to have long replayability with the different section IDs, the different drop rates, every character having a long and somewhat unique list of rares that they could use rather than being 2-3 weapons per class, constantly having reasons to go back to older content/lower difficulties to make big gains in progress, secrets to discover by exploring, ect.

PSO2 at the start, and NGS now were very clearly not complete games. We're stuck at lv 20 treating 4* gear like the holy grail of endgame just because there's no way to go beyond it even though we all know that 4* in the long run is completely worthless, and all the millions people spend on them is just going down the drain as soon as we get 5*s. And rather than having extensive weapon options, skill trees are set so you can't optimize the important class skills + all the weapons, so some people will essentially stick to one weapon, and once they get their 4 star (insert weapon type here) have nothing to do, or spread their skills around, use 3 weapons sub optimally. It makes sense why people can't trade with each other, because if we could, we would reach the end of the available content in a matter of hours. The game is also designed in a way where once you do everything currently available, the only substantial progress you can make is by;

-Waiting for Gigas to spawn

-Waiting for vets to spawn (if you want to practice vs vs certain bosses [Looking at you nex])

• Waiting for EQs to happen so you can put exp towards n-excubes

-currently in the event, doing what we've been doing since launch and getting rewarded slightly more for it.

Essentially, NGS is not a complete game, nor is it built for replayability the same way PSO1, PSZ, PSP1, 2, 2i, or PSU were. In that sense it is unfair to compare because it was never designed to be like those games. And I'm not really defending sega, because ultimately I feel they could have pushed the game back, maybe released it once everything on the roadmap was complete, maybe release it after not-luster was complete so we could have all of the base weapon types back at the very least. But the game is the way it is partially because players were mostly accepting of the content drought known as PSO2JP, and because they decided open world with no player agency in terms of mission selection.

And due to how they yanked the support from PSO2, it ended up in shambles.

Gaps in gear progression, missing item names and descriptions, less features than when it was being worked on, and no sense of schedule with UQs.

@Pariah-Chan said in Where the content sega?:

And due to how they yanked the support from PSO2, it ended up in shambles.

Gaps in gear progression, missing item names and descriptions, less features than when it was being worked on, and no sense of schedule with UQs.

OMG. "an item equipable as (insert weapon type here) was so sad. And I'm legit still kinda sad that we didn't get all the weapon camos because Talon is DoA since not-luster comes out after 4* gear (and transmutations by proxy) become super obsolete x.x

Yeah, the lack of camos is pretty upsetting. For example, Opt Leon:

85F849CD-37BF-4E1C-9CEB-91F53B035E25.jpeg

They brought out the BLUE * Opt Hermes camo, but not the pink * Opt Leon camo to go with the suit.??? πŸ˜•

@Pariah-Chan Real talk, I didn't even know about that one. That ones kind of a mind blown moment tbh.

@Flowen231 said in Where the content sega?:

You're not wrong, but you're kind of comparing apples to oranges. When PSO1 released it was basically a full gaming experience

Oh definitely. It was an unpatchable Dreamcast game. I was just pointing out the folly of thinking end of story = end of all content.

This is now the fifth most responded to thread on the forums.

Don't forget you can always submit a ticket to provide feedback:

https://support.pso2.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

They do respond.

@Miraglyth said in Where the content sega?:

Good! This is the kind of discussion I think will be useful.

So the question is, if more empty regions is not the answer, presumably that only leaves making new and existing regions that are less empty? If so, what could we flesh out Aelio with that would be interesting for a sustained period of time? I think we're getting somewhere here. πŸ‘

Hmm, how to flesh out the regions... There's the more obvious stuff, like having NPCs and settlements outside of the main city with side tasks, mini-games and such.

Other than that, I think the veteran bosses have potential to be more interesting and offer more replay value than their current implementation. Right now we have 4 different veteran bosses per exploration area which always stand in the same location and have relatively long respawn times.

Maybe they could take lessons from Monster Hunter World expeditions for these? In MHW expeditions, the boss monsters have patrol routes instead of always standing in the same location, they also have specific resting locations. There's also alot of different monsters that can appear in a region, but there's a max of 3 at a time. When one of those 3 dies or leaves the area, another one respawns shortly afterwards.

I think a similar system would make the exploration areas and hunting veteran bosses more interesting overall. Between random bosses always being active at a time (no downtime due to respawns), and patrol routes could also open the possibility of veteran bosses entering turf wars or joining forces in the fight against players depending on the veteran bosses that would meet up. Plus this would make it more viable to add more veteran bosses to each of the existing locations, it would be a nice way to add more meaningful updates while waiting for the next major update.

@Ezodagrom I would love to see the Phantasy Star equivalent of Turf Wars (a Bar Lodos from the waters attacking a Groq, or a Rockbear fighting a Daityl?) and a sort of actual imbalance between something like the Alters, Formers, and DOLLs.

I feel that for where we are, we have a decent setup of enemies I would have expected to have seen in Central Aelio but I really do feel that when you look into the other regions we could be seeing potentially different behaviors, different animal patterns, and potentially wholly different enemies. So far, it seems like outside of a select few you really can expect to see a lot of repetition elsewhere when you have largely the same common enemies everywhere.

I know there are theories people have on the game's world being a simulation of sorts but I would really hope for some more depth in how the creatures behave in the world like how the Voks walks around, "eats" from the grass, and then will idle around. Outside of the Rappy encounters where players are quick to defeat them, I would be curious to see how other animals treat them or how other mobs will behave around them if they actually interacted.

At least we have Noxii the hostile TAMES.