so the story "SPOILERS"

so the story was ok but way to short and no villains. next part be in 6 months? what you think of it? one more element of a way to short development?

The story was really... Nothing at all. It was pointless, nothing very exciting outside of the very first part when the beach gets destroyed. So far... Every character is either annoying or just plain as can be. And there is how many hours of story content? I beat it in 2 days, and the only reason it took that long is because having to get your Light level, shit I mean your "Battle Power" high enough doing the most mundane and noring sidequests I've ever done

What we got for a story was so barebones I'm even kind of wondering if there is a plan for it or if they've just set up a core set of characters so they'll be there once they decide what they want to do with them.

Calling the first big enemies we come across Dark Falz felt both super unnecessary and pretty disrespectful to pretty much all previous Dark Falzes spanning over 30 years.

Central City appears to have fewer guards than Aelio Town did (and no signs of whether they're any more capable since they never move), and walls regular people can simply jump over. It's hard to take what we've seen of the story seriously when that enemy could turn Central City into a spherical crater just as easily but isn't because... why?

It's also pretty immersion-breaking that Aelio Town is just kind of never mentioned again by anyone. Literally one of the two settlements on a landmass is wiped out in minutes and nobody cares? They alluded to survivors, where are they and why aren't they (or if there weren't survivors, their relatives in Central City) giving us client orders to find a memento of their families or help create a memorial?

It was a tutorial story. I recall many not liking the amount if talking in pso2. It was very tedious.

The way I see it, an actual Dark Falz would slap this doll out of existence.

The dolls look like draconian cyborgs, the Cocoons / Towers are also very reminiscent of "draconian technology". If the story had any consistency then the actual antagonist here would be Kashina with Crawford just throwing out the name Dark Falz for the lack of a better term.

It’s kinda insulting. The whole focal point of the finale of pso2 was about bringing an end to this entity. All of the developer updates go on about this new MyStErIoUs type of enemy, only to have it be revealed that “oh, it’s just dark falz” in a serene way.

Like ok I guess. It would’ve been nice to have a bit of world building at least to make the world a bit more immersive instead of just getting dropped off on a random planet to just get told to kill stuff

@SalutexMO said in so the story "SPOILERS":

It’s kinda insulting. The whole focal point of the finale of pso2 was about bringing an end to this entity. All of the developer updates go on about this new MyStErIoUs type of enemy, only to have it be revealed that “oh, it’s just dark falz” in a serene way.

Like ok I guess. It would’ve been nice to have a bit of world building at least to make the world a bit more immersive instead of just getting dropped off on a random planet to just get told to kill stuff

PSO story is essentially about Darkness always coming back then people of light come to put it back down. Welcome to the most overused story telling in video games.

Aina crying and Mamon being drier than firewood for 2 hours was a story? I'm tired of these female characters being whiny and weak with crippling self-doubt who overcome their anxiety with words and calling that a narrative. I'm absolutely tired of it.

Give us some new archetypes for once. And it's not like the Japanese can't do it, they've created plenty of stories that went against type and successfully subverted expectations.

I'm strangely glad Aina's presence has saved Manon from going the Karen Erra route of having a traumatic backstory that shortcuts her becoming dependent on the protagonist.

I'm still getting Alys/Lyra Brangwin vibes from Manon and I'm not entirely sure why, maybe the one or two moments of subtle snark she showed. Maybe because Aina is clearly the main heroine and I'm worried Manon may just end up used for her development the way Alys was for Chaz but without any other aspects to make her a worthwhile character.

I'm just glad they didn't go the way of the pretentious narcissist that "put effort into it" and still allows you to skip it.

@BlockedMarlin58 said in so the story "SPOILERS":

Give us some new archetypes for once. And it's not like the Japanese can't do it, they've created plenty of stories that went against type and successfully subverted expectations.

Maybe, but how many of those had the good ol' blank slate protagonist with them? These stories go the same way almost every time with the voiceless main character: every relevant character you meet will eventually tell you their life story out of nowhere for no rhyme or reason and then you're the best "friend", just like that, because the plot demands it. It's like an outside power controls them against basic logic, not to mention how real people develop relationships, just to tell a cookie cutter story about the same old s*it. Every new relevant character will do the same while the blank slate nods ambiguously. I just couldn't possibly care less what wittle fee fees drive these bland mooks and what convenient exposition will make them pull their heads out of their backsides. Regardless, this sums up japanese writing in games like this.

Ugh, i did it again...

Personally I think they are being the way they are with the story, because this isn't a planet we have seen before. I think, ARKS in their want for a place to retire, built a planet, and populated it with all the animals and enemies we kidnapped, I mean captured. The planet itself is very artificial, very little about it seems to be natural. And I think the story is heading in the direction of making the point about history forgotten. It's been a thousand years, and according to many philosophers and historians, is about the time it takes for accurate accounts of history to be lost in any civilization, (due to poor record keeping, and information hidden on purpose) and its respective society. And it takes about five hundred for the events that led up to a known history to be ignored or also forgotten, and potentially repeated.

Perhaps about five hundred years after the events of the last story, (EP6) someone repeated the mistakes of the photoners, more specifically Luther, and managed to screw up the whole thing. The peace, and the planet. This was done through idiotic experimentation. What backs up my theory is that we are told at the beginning that the Dolls came from the same place older ARKS, or the Meteorn as they call us, came from, ( it's obvious at this point we were forgotten in space for some ungodly reason.) that our mags are more advanced then theirs, and that they have been at war for a little over five hundred years.

We are told that most like us, that fall from the sky, suffer from amnesia like symptoms, (likely related to the cryo freeze ARKS ops regularly went through to recover from fighting fallspawn, or Dark Falz, as a means to negate exposure to the F-Factor. And many believe that being left too long in cryo can lead to damage of the brain.) and that beyond that, they were essentially clueless as to why that was happening, at least that's what I understood thus far. Our character has no memories of their past, which admittedly is a good cop out, for new players. We are then left seeing things from the perspective of the amnesiac in question, and for whatever reason, our character instinctively still jumps right into the fray. This was meant as a show, and not tell situation, where we are supposed to be just as confused as our character, and not understand anything around us, or our drive to fight.

It's a gamble, because some can appreciate that type of evolving story, but most hate it because it feels plain or empty. It's not a guaranteed way to draw in players, or to keep them, but personally I want to wait and see where they go with this. Give them a chance essentially. I've been burned so many times before by companies that make uninspired stories, so if it happens again, it's nothing new, but it would be nice to be pleasantly surprised by a good, and immersive story.

The only thing we have to go on is hearing wat the announcement says before the pod dropped, and hopefully the trajectory of how the pod landed

@Anarchy-Marine said in so the story "SPOILERS":

someone repeated the mistakes of the photoners, more specifically Luther

WDYM? The Profound Darkness wasn't on him, he only lost it after they took Harriet from him and everything else went to s**t.

@Pariah-Chan Personally I think there is still ark ships floating in orbit of this planet, and that it's partially inhabited by fallspawn, and partially inhabited by frozen/forgotten ARKS. We have seen how they, the Falz, can infect both men and machine. Look to the AIS units throughout base PSO2, or to how the mothership was infected, not once, but twice, the second time being the replacement for the first. The dolls were likely at one point, ARKS creations. They appear to mostly be machine, possibly married to some type of synthetic organic compounds.