Slow character rendering and too much brightness after engine update

What are the recommended settings in this game and in the NVIDIA Control Panel to improve graphical stability and limit brightness?

Max Detailed Model Display is on 50, Camera Lighting on a bit over 5, Terrain Lighting off, but the maps and the lobby are still way too bright and the loading of other characters in the lobby is much slower (also applies to Open World sections in NGS) than before the NGS update. I've tried changing from Trilenear AA to Bilinear and back. Graphic details are on low.

CPU is stock i5 3570k and GPU is stock Asus NVIDIA GTX 660 Ti OC. I'm playing it via Steam on Windows 8.1. Thanks in advance

The game looks overly bright because the new engine uses a more "photorealistic" rendering method. The old engine had innate shine on everything and external light sources (like the sky) only slightly changed the shade. The new engine now uses those same light sources for actually lighting everything, so they had to be supercharged, otherwise a lot of areas would be really dark. Most of the color the game had came from global illumination, which is straight up gone. None of the materials were adapted to the new lighting method either.

@uB said in Slow character rendering and too much brightness after engine update:

The game looks overly bright because the new engine uses a more "photorealistic" rendering method. The old engine had innate shine on everything and external light sources (like the sky) only slightly changed the shade. The new engine now uses those same light sources for actually lighting everything, so they had to be supercharged, otherwise a lot of areas would be really dark. Most of the color the game had came from global illumination, which is straight up gone. None of the materials were adapted to the new lighting method either.

Thanks for your explanation. To be fair, some darker maps like the Underground Shafts are better with more lighting, however, maps like Floating Continent are now way too bright. My question in this regard is: is there a way to customize brightness levels in the game and/or in the NVIDIA Control panel depending on the circumstances? Or is the only option to tamper with screen brightness settings on the screen?

The only thing I can recommend is trying Reshade/Gshade

@uB said in Slow character rendering and too much brightness after engine update:

The only thing I can recommend is trying Reshade/Gshade

How to use it?

After you install it in the game's directory, you'll see a menu appear ingame with a long list of shaders. For finetuning gamma, brightness, contrast etc search for shaders like ContrastBrightnessSaturation, Tonemap, Curves, Levels, Vibrance, HDR and simply play around with the sliders until you get a result you like. It's fairly straightforward if you don't want to go into really advanced effects

After you install it in the game's directory, you'll see a menu appear ingame with a long list of shaders. For finetuning gamma, brightness, contrast etc search for shaders like ContrastBrightnessSaturation, Tonemap, Curves, Levels, Vibrance, HDR and simply play around with the sliders until you get a result you like. It's fairly straightforward if you don't want to go into really advanced effects

Okay, I've installed Gshade, but there is a long list of Shaders and I'm not sure which one to use:

9b7d066a-d8e9-48e5-bdeb-5c0bad951176-image.png

242ed4e6-0c0b-4488-9077-771a32f8a977-image.png

d048098e-1c84-4fb2-a188-0b38268e148d-image.png

7f990166-936c-4855-a8f4-4360465fb14b-image.png

Just to picture the problem I'd like to have solved first:

cf35cae4-c0f9-4c61-9d48-02511905f66b-image.png

Those aren't shaders, those are presets. Shaders are ones with checkboxes near them. Just type in "brightness", "tonemap" or other things I mentioned earlier into the "Search" bar and it'll bring them up. When you check them, the image will change and sliders below the shader list will appear. As for the issue on the picture, no clue

Ah okay, thanks Basically, the main issue with the brightness is that character faces are now too dark, but the terrain is way too bright. I've made it more tolerable just by reducing the overall brightness in my screen settings, which basically makes everything darker I've checked everything you've mentioned, but the result was worse, so I've completely reverted it again.

As for the rendering issue, using GeForce Experience helps a little. I've set it to the second dot closer to performance and the rendering works now faster, but still not at a level from before the engine update and even back then, it wasn't perfect, but still better