My own personal opinion so far about NGS

@Zeke said in My own personal opinion so far about NGS:

@Yui2387 said in My own personal opinion so far about NGS:

@Zeke Its popular if it has lots of players not if it has the best predatory means to abuse weak humans with no self-regulation. You can call it a success for sega but it certainly isnt a popular game by any means. Also it doesnt matter what people say, we can just compare facts and fact is that ngs has no content. The latest wow addon had content for at least 2 months so please stop this stupid comparisons when you never played any of these games. Also, pso isnt popular in the west because everything after pso1 sucked ass.

Sega one of the top revenue gaming companies around the world.

Phantasy Star being one of Sega's top contributors to their revenue.

Proceeds to say the game isn't popular.

ಠ_ಠ

Well, the digital content they charge in terms of fashion is around 100$ to get all cosmetics you want from current scratch whales like me to spend their money on each scratch. I'm not your ordinary customer.

Edit: The game can do fine even being not popular.

@HermitST said in My own personal opinion so far about NGS:

@Zeke Phantasy Star isn't that popular, in Japan it is huge, but outside of Japan it has always been pretty niche. PSO2 and NGS in Japan on it's own has 10 servers, the rest of the world only has 4 servers, and two of those servers had a much lower player count than the other servers after only 1 day. Phantasy Star is still very niche outside of Japan.

Another good indicator of popularity these days is how well the game does on social media and streaming sites. People on social media aren't talking about Phantasy Star and there aren't any notable streamers regularly playing the games on Twitch with high numbers from what I can see.

There is also the media and how people interact with news on Phantasy Star games. The build up to NGS has been almost non existent. The only place I have seen consistent news of NGS was from a site call Twinfinite, but if you look at the replies to the articles on NGS, it's almost non existent. Every now and then, the big sites like IGN and Gamespot will announce something, but again, nobody interacts with the article. I haven't even seen anything on IGN about the release of NGS.

The fact that PSO2 almost made 1 billion in the course of a year with global leads me to believe it's popular. Even JP devs are saying on their streams they're shocked that it's popular outside of Japan.

It's pretty well known PSO is popular in the MMO community.

1 billion what? USD? if that is what you mean, I find that very very hard to believe. The first 3 months made $14m, so it would have had to increase exponentially to reach anything close to $1b

Also, saying they are shocked by the popularity outside of Japan is hardly surprising seeing as they had pretty much given up on the series being a success outside of Asia for 8 years.

If NGS can maintain most of it's player base, then you can say it is a popular game, but if it drops off the same way PSO2 did, then it will remain niche.

@Yui2387 Oh yay, more anti-monetization complaints. /s

I thought we were done with those.

@Knight-Raime said in My own personal opinion so far about NGS:

@HermitST said in My own personal opinion so far about NGS:

@Zeke Phantasy Star isn't that popular, in Japan it is huge, but outside of Japan it has always been pretty niche. PSO2 and NGS in Japan on it's own has 10 servers, the rest of the world only has 4 servers, and two of those servers had a much lower player count than the other servers after only 1 day. Phantasy Star is still very niche outside of Japan.

Nah. PSU would like a word with you. Also i'm pretty sure NGS is even possible because of how well Global did in the short year it had. IIRC it's actually one of the top 10 played games on steam rn. Phantasy star might not be as popular in name like final fantasy is but it's a very far cry away from being niche.

When was PSU popular? I loved it, it's my favourite Phantasy Star game, but come on, it wasn't THAT big outside of Japan. PSU is often seen as the black sheep of the series

If Phantasy Star is such a big series, then why do we only have 4 servers to manage the whole world and Japan alone needs 10?

NGS is in the top 20 most played games on Steam right now, but that means very little if it dips to the 5,000 players mark again like PSO2 did.

Where is the social media buzz? where is the media coverage and interaction from readers? why aren't the forums on here moving at lightning pace? where are the twitch streams?

@Lorient said in My own personal opinion so far about NGS:

@Chantro said in My own personal opinion so far about NGS:

That it is "fp2" (the store items that many of us buy are more expensive than months of games with a lot of content) should not mean little content or a lack of things to do. I like the game but seeing it in this state is depressing for me and the worst thing is that I imagined it would be that sad

NGS: The World's First FP2 game. XD

Jokes aside, I feel like people just aren't getting that maybe this game isn't for them. If you've finished all the leveling content and nothing else appeals to you, maybe this game isn't for you.

What else is there besides the little leveling content? The entire game is just a tutorial. That's the WHOLE game. A tutorial. Go through the basic actions with basic gear, learn the system, getting ready for the rest of the game.. but there isn't one? It's just so weird.

If any other game did this it would be scandalous.

@Gurgles said in My own personal opinion so far about NGS:

That it is "fp2" (the store items that many of us buy are more expensive than months of games with a lot of content) should not mean little content or a lack of things to do. I like the game but seeing it in this state is depressing for me and the worst thing is that I imagined it would be that sad

Jokes aside, I feel like people just aren't getting that maybe this game isn't for them. If you've finished all the leveling content and nothing else appeals to you, maybe this game isn't for you.

What else is there besides the little leveling content? The entire game is just a tutorial. That's the WHOLE game. A tutorial. Go through the basic actions with basic gear, learn the system, getting ready for the rest of the game.. but there isn't one? It's just so weird.

PSO and PSO2 would like a word with you then because they did the same thing, but with even less.

PSO and PSO2 would like a word with you then because they did the same thing, but with even less.

That's probably why those games are unpopular.

That's probably why those games are unpopular.

Says games are unpopular.

Proceeds to one one of Sega's top money maker franchises.

You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.

@Zeke Most ppl have never even heard of pso outside of Japan. This is a very very niche game.

I've only ever met 2 people in my entire life that have played any pso game.

@Zeke Most ppl have never even heard of pso outside of Japan. This is a very very niche game.

thats wrong...youre constantly meeting people on this forum who are playing pso /sarcasm off

you need to meet more people...only meeting 2 people in your entire life is not good

Is that why Sega got asked when PSO2 is getting a localization in other countries every E3 they've been apart of since PSO2 release?

There are plenty of people who haven't heard of World of Warcraft in recent times and that's still an immensely popular game. Your strawman doesn't work in this scenario.

Are you seriously comparing pso to wow in terms of popularity?

Are you seriously comparing pso to wow in terms of popularity?

With the example you used yes. Your argument is that no one has heard of pso because it's unpopular. I used that same example with WoW because it really isn't talked much these days.

By your logic that means WoW is unpopular as well which we all know is false. The same is with PSO. Obviously isn't as popular as WoW, but it's clearly still popular with the money Sega nets from the series. Unpopular games don't make that much money.

Is that why Sega got asked when PSO2 is getting a localization in other countries every E3 they've been apart of since PSO2 release?

There are plenty of people who haven't heard of World of Warcraft in recent times and that's still an immensely popular game. Your strawman doesn't work in this scenario.

Shenmue fans were asking for Shenmue 3 for well over decade every year, it doesn't mean it is a popular series, it just means it has a passionate and vocal fanbase.

Dragon Quest is quite similar to Phantasy Star, massive in Japan, but outside of Japan, it's pretty small.

I don't know why you are so defensive about this. Phantasy Star has always been niche outside of Japan. It's Japan that has kept the series alive. If the Japanese player base was as low as global, then there is very little chance the game would stay alive for the rest of the world.

@Zeke My dude, pretty much everybody has heard of world of warcraft.. it was on south park for god's sake. It had a feature film!

I don't know how you can think PSO is a popular series outside of japan, but hey, you do you.

EDIT: I actually want NG to be popular.. I like the battle system and the world. It just seems so weird to me that they would release a NEW game that is little more than a tutorial. I worry that everyone is gonna bail. I don't think westerners have the patience and attention span for it.