My own personal opinion so far about NGS

@IzzyData said in My own personal opinion so far about NGS:

@Zeke People will quit and never come back because they finished it. The idea of an MMO is to have too much content to actually finish for anyone other than for hardcore players and then release new content to keep people interested.

@Zeke said in My own personal opinion so far about NGS:

@Star-Platinum said in My own personal opinion so far about NGS:

@Zeke

Have you hit level 20 on a main and sub class?

Did you try other classes and getting them to 20?

Do you have maxed out rarity 4 star NGS weapons?

How about maxed out rarity 4 star units?

Are those also augmented?

Did you find all 113 red boxes?

Have you done all the towers and cocoons?

Have you noticed there is a collectable sheet for each area? Did you get those yet?

I don't know why people are claiming it doesn't have much to do when I'm seeing plenty. Just because you don't like what they're offering doesn't make it obsolete in terms of content.

Also people said the same damn thing when FF14 AAR came out. Game seems to be doing great regardless of what people said about it. This game will be the same due to how popular the Phantasy Star franchise is.

@Gurgles said in My own personal opinion so far about NGS:

@Nyxerys said in My own personal opinion so far about NGS:

Have you hit level 20 on a main and sub class? Did you try other classes and getting them to 20? Do you have maxed out rarity 4 star NGS weapons? How about maxed out rarity 4 star units? Are those also augmented? Did you find all 113 red boxes? Have you done all the towers and cocoons? Have you noticed there is a collectable sheet for each area? Did you get those yet? I don't know why people are claiming it doesn't have much to do when I'm seeing plenty. Just because you don't like what they're offering doesn't make it obsolete in terms of content.

If you think this is content, then you really need to go back to dev school. #sorrynotsorry

Yeah no kidding. This "content" is embarrassing. After slogging through the tutorial, all that's left is uber-basic grinding and.. collecting boxes?

The new world is nice and all, but there is a shocking lack of content. After a week or two even the casual players will be left with nothing to do except sit around and wait for UQs? There isn't even any fashion or anything? I'm really confused.

Oh my god, it's as if the NGS release was only two days ago, and this is an MMO, with continued planned service, and new content won't release until weeks later, because I decided to burn through everything super fast.....

Sarcasm aside, did you really think they'd just release everything at once? That'd be stupid, because you'd have burned through that in a couple of weeks, and would still be complaining. Releasing stuff in increments, over a period of times, slows a players progression, and allows them time to polish what they are currently working on.

@Ryoga said in My own personal opinion so far about NGS:

@Charus said in My own personal opinion so far about NGS:

NGS combat just feels extremely slow-paced and clunky to me

Depending on the weapon type in question there are obviously differences but pretty much this, if you compare the gameplay of NGS rifle to its closest base PSO2 counterpart then it's nothing but a downgrade. It's slow, the related active skills are unreliable in their application and similar things can be said about launcher which is even more sluggish than how it was in base PSO2 (with the exception of "Prominence Assail").

Have you hit level 20 on a main and sub class?

There is no point in leveling your subclass as you don't get any stats from it and skill points are universally acquired from Cocoons / Towers.

When you level a class your BP goes up. If both main and sub classes are level 20 then you get the max BP available. There is a reason actually.

I sort of agree one some things you've said. This game definitely feels like just an open BETA, not an official release, but at least they havn't promised anything and didn't deliver on it. Though I do disagree about the game not having a lot of fashion. Yeah, there is a lack of NEW fashion with this isnt PSO3... it's PSO2 New Genesis, everything we've been playing and doing is still part of this game and counts as such in my opinion. Also, I like the combat. PSO2 was fun but it got to a point where it was just...too much. Everyone is just a teleporting godlike character, running around destroying everything in blinding flashes of light and techniques. I like how they are taking the good things from both PSU and PSO2 and putting them together.

Have you hit level 20 on a main and sub class? Did you try other classes and getting them to 20? Do you have maxed out rarity 4 star NGS weapons? How about maxed out rarity 4 star units? Are those also augmented? Did you find all 113 red boxes? Have you done all the towers and cocoons? Have you noticed there is a collectable sheet for each area? Did you get those yet? I don't know why people are claiming it doesn't have much to do when I'm seeing plenty. Just because you don't like what they're offering doesn't make it obsolete in terms of content.

If you think this is content, then you really need to go back to dev school. #sorrynotsorry

Yeah no kidding. This "content" is embarrassing. After slogging through the tutorial, all that's left is uber-basic grinding and.. collecting boxes?

The new world is nice and all, but there is a shocking lack of content. After a week or two even the casual players will be left with nothing to do except sit around and wait for UQs? There isn't even any fashion or anything? I'm really confused.

You guys are clearly new to the PSO franchise.

The content currently available doesn't really bother me, what does bother me is the actual content itself. It just doesn't seem all that engaging for more than a few days. Cacoons and Towers are easily the worst thing about the game for me, just so boring and samey.

@HermitST I like the concept of Cocoons and Towers. Reminds me of BOTW Shrines. But you're right, theyre really just boring and not very fun. hopefully theyll be more creative with future ones.

@Zeke No offense but the way you are trying to defend ngs is just laughable. Some things:

• FF14 in 2010 was dead on arrival. Apparently you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to FF14. Even Realm Reborn was far from a polished game when it got rereleased, but it had 50 times the content this game has. Now after years of hard and earnst work of the devs, the game is decent. How can you expect the same story for NGS when og pso2 showed us that they don't know good content? I will tell you a secret: 5 years from now on NGS will have less content than FF14ARR on release.
  • The whole server disaster and lack of content is driving away all new players and most of them will never come back. This is especially true for a game that doesn't significantly improve which NGS is the best contender for (points at og pso2 once again)
  • there were reasons why pso2 never saw the west. one was: the game had no good content and would have become irrelevant. there is a difference between some EU/NA fans that play on a big JP server and these few people playing on an independent global server.
  • microsoft is the sole reason pso2 came to the west because they apparently wanted NGS on their shitbox. this aligns perfectly with all their actions in 2019-2021 in the context of xbox releated things
  • this game has less content than a lot of single player rpgs and the upcoming content is most likely a class and maybe a new UQ or worldboss, none of which will address any relevant issues
  • when people hear mmo they have expectations. mmos genereally have lots of repetitive content and group play. in most mmos it takes a long time to see everything and to reach all possible goals. they usually have a least some things that keep hardcore fans interested. ngs has none of it...
  • once casual hit lvl 15+, where you only wait for UQs because killing monsters for 100exp is pointless, the game will lose its playerbase quickly, which could have been prevented by any semi-meaningful content that you could spend your time on. why release the game in this state? its literally NGS beta + 10% content
  • just because pso2 was like that it doesnt excuse the state. you have better games on the market for comparison. even the mediocre og pso2 looks like a good game compared to ngs

I think my only complaint so far, other than the lag issues, has been the way they limited accessories to the point system. 18 points doesn't feel like nearly enough.

@Brittany_Rose_C said in My own personal opinion so far about NGS:

I've been having a lot of fun. I will say I haven't felt this sense of wonder like this since I first made it to the cavern in Myst Online Uru Live (back in like 2003 maybe, was during the initial beta test), the world just feels so magical and alive. There's just such a level of polish in the world, even in the most minute details. Like go to the little channel in the rock between Cryano Cliffs and the Halphana Wetlands and you can actually hear the wind whistling through it. I haven't found any other areas yet that do that too.

I have to say though, and this is just my own opinion, there's a lot of people being overtly negative... Lighten up!

I agree. This game, to me, feels like a weird cross between OG Aion and BoTW.

There's two ways to play MMOs. You can either try to "win" (which is pointless, as there will always be more content so long as it's running), or you can create a character to live a life that you can't IRL. IMO, the latter will always be more fun. People who try to "beat" MMOs turn it into a "job" and often end up ruining the fun for others.

Anyway, I'm liking how you can easily switch between fighting side by side with your fellow players, or just jump into solo exploration. I keep finding fascinating cliffs or beachside coves or whatnot. I find crabs crawling around, glowing butterflies, cute animals, interesting plants, etc. And often those weird cliffs or whatnot will have a random box of star gems in the middle of nowhere just waiting to be looted, so it's not like your exploration isn't rewarded. (Though the exploration would almost be just as fun without the easter egg hunt. )

I even found a level 60 patt...Yeah, as in those cute little birdies you can hunt for meat. I was tempted to pick on it, but figured it would magically squish me somehow. LOL

(BTW, I'm absolutely convinced that Halpha is Xiao's mothership, just covered in dirt, rocks, and plants. But that's just me.)

::eats popcorn::

@Anarchy-Marine said in My own personal opinion so far about NGS:

Oh my god, it's as if the NGS release was only two days ago, and this is an MMO, with continued planned service, and new content won't release until weeks later, because I decided to burn through everything super fast.....

Sarcasm aside, did you really think they'd just release everything at once? That'd be stupid, because you'd have burned through that in a couple of weeks, and would still be complaining. Releasing stuff in increments, over a period of times, slows a players progression, and allows them time to polish what they are currently working on.

I think the issue is not that they are waiting to release stuff, it's that there's basically not much there to begin with.

I'm not the only one that got through the tutorial and thought "wait.. is that it?" I thought the game would finally open up, but all I have left to do is collect rocks basically. It's just a weird way to release a game IMO.

Maybe they'll fill it out over time, but it kills any hype people had when they realize they're just playing what amounts to a demo.

@Yui2387 said in My own personal opinion so far about NGS:

@Zeke No offense but the way you are trying to defend ngs is just laughable. Some things:

• FF14 in 2010 was dead on arrival. Apparently you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to FF14. Even Realm Reborn was far from a polished game when it got rereleased, but it had 50 times the content this game has. Now after years of hard and earnst work of the devs, the game is decent. How can you expect the same story for NGS when og pso2 showed us that they don't know good content? I will tell you a secret: 5 years from now on NGS will have less content than FF14ARR on release.
  • The whole server disaster and lack of content is driving away all new players and most of them will never come back. This is especially true for a game that doesn't significantly improve which NGS is the best contender for (points at og pso2 once again)
  • there were reasons why pso2 never saw the west. one was: the game had no good content and would have become irrelevant. there is a difference between some EU/NA fans that play on a big JP server and these few people playing on an independent global server.
  • microsoft is the sole reason pso2 came to the west because they apparently wanted NGS on their shitbox. this aligns perfectly with all their actions in 2019-2021 in the context of xbox releated things
  • this game has less content than a lot of single player rpgs and the upcoming content is most likely a class and maybe a new UQ or worldboss, none of which will address any relevant issues
  • when people hear mmo they have expectations. mmos genereally have lots of repetitive content and group play. in most mmos it takes a long time to see everything and to reach all possible goals. they usually have a least some things that keep hardcore fans interested. ngs has none of it...
  • once casual hit lvl 15+, where you only wait for UQs because killing monsters for 100exp is pointless, the game will lose its playerbase quickly, which could have been prevented by any semi-meaningful content that you could spend your time on. why release the game in this state? its literally NGS beta + 10% content
  • just because pso2 was like that it doesnt excuse the state. you have better games on the market for comparison. even the mediocre og pso2 looks like a good game compared to ngs

The issue is you're expecting a theme park MMO which isn't the case with PSO2 or NGS. I've more than post enough on the content section to where it will last people some time to get what I said. NGS is about exploring, grinding and cosmetics. PSO2 was the same just without the exploring aspect. Simply because you don't see it as content doesn't make it barren in content. Saying the game will die or is dead is straight up laughable. You guys really don't seem to get how popular PSO is in general.

Also I said FF14 ARR and not FF original. Don't add arguments that were never spouted from my mouth to begin with.

This game reminds me of the failed 2010 FF14 attempt. Maybe sega should just take 2 more years of development. But I guess we will see one more UQ every month and grind monsters like in Black Desert but without an actual reason for doing so (not that BDO has any real reasons for that other than its the only thing to do). Well, thankfully the Diablo 2 remastered that I got a close beta key for wasn't a disappointment.

@Zeke said in [My own personal opinion so far about NGS]

The issue is you're expecting a theme park MMO which isn't the case with PSO2 or NGS. I've more than post enough on the content section to where it will last people some time to get what I said. NGS is about exploring, grinding and cosmetics. PSO2 was the same just without the exploring aspect. Simply because you don't see it as content doesn't make it barren in content. Saying the game will die or is dead is straight up laughable. You guys really don't seem to get how popular PSO is in general.

Also I said FF14 ARR and not FF original. Don't add arguments that were never spouted from my mouth to begin with.

Pretty much this. There's nothing really "wrong" with the Theme Park per se. Games like Everquest 2 and WoW run almost exclusively off this stuff. The problem is when there's no reason for people to play the content anymore, it gets abandoned. New characters are left behind when they find themselves behind a wall that requires a raid group to proceed. These "theme park" games often end up gutted so that new players can later join in the fun. (And now we have classic servers so people can get that old content back, LOL.)

I think the future of MMOs is closer to Sea of Thieves, which, as folks may remember, had many of the exact same complaints. "THERE'S NO CONTENT!" Well, except, there's also no levels and everyone's on the same playing field. The game was set up as a playground with story, not a themepark. All loot is cosmetic. But you know what? That game has a crapton of story content now, and nothing is going to stop a newbie from joining his old friends on an alliance on his very first login.

I feel like Sega's got it's finger on the pulse of MMOs here. WoW and Everquest 1/2 are dying, and Aion is desperately trying to hold on with a classic server now. Sea of Thieves is thriving. MMOs just need a new philosophy on content. That's all.