My own personal opinion so far about NGS

Those are gonna be just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. Note, this is not gonna be about the lag/server/maintenace issues that NGS is undergoing, but precicely about the game and gameplay it'self.

1. While I love the concept of the Open world, I just sometimes miss the more simpler and more sandboxy feeling of the original PSO2, where we could easily pick any quest or challenges from the counter and the game would throw us up quickly right into the rage of combat.

2. I realise that when PSO2 was initialy launched on the JP side 8 - 9 years ago and did not have content, but I am sure it had decent amount of starting available Fascion items/cosmetics and Outfits/Uniforms available. I'm not gonna start with the gear of the player because I dont think this is of importance, but I think NGS entirely lacks in content when it comes to the fashion aspect, the "Soldier Line" doesnt provide anything interesting for me, and the amount of NGS starting default outfits available is almost complete null compared to the base PSO2.

3. To be honest, I dont like how the way the Story mode of the game is handled, I liked it how it was in the base PSO2 where the singleplayer storymode was separate as a series of story quest to be attended in the counter. But NGS now forces us to progress through the story missions just to unlock all the shop or menu features which should all be unlocked from the start. On a side note, I dont really like how the story is getting approached here, it tries too hard to be like a cinematic movie and not retain what it was in the original PSO2 where everything felt more like an Anime, NGS just feels too much like It tries too hard to be like the Jumanji 2/3 Movie (Not saying I hated that movie, I actualy liked it, I just dont like how NGS doesnt really feel like an Anime and more like westernized hollywood cinematic movie).

4. This take would most likely be wrong, because in base PSO2 I have been mostly an Phantom/Braver player myself, since those classes had one of the most fast paced playstyles, but still hear; NGS combat just feels extremely slow-paced and clunky to me, It could be because of the lag in the game but still it feels slow. I know Fighter is fast paced, but I'm not interested in Fighter because it does not have any weapons I'd interested in trying to play, especialy because this class is very squishy. I just look back at PSO2, I would play with the braver, I would quickly maneuver around and slash everything into pieces with lighting speed and then continue blitzkrieging rest of the enemies in the area, the combat overall felt fun, fast-paced, flashy and arcadey, I just dont get the same awesome adrenaline pumping experience in NGS, the combat just feels so slow and boring, we are limited to long charging times of the photon arts/Techs and spamming them all over and over again.

Maybe SEGA decided to approach the game with more cinnematic tone with just how the gameplay feels like and the cast of Characters , but I feel like this is a step backwards of what PSO2 should be.

To conclude, I honestly think that the game would be most likely "Crowded" for 3 to 6 days, untill all players will reach level 20 and obtain all the high level gear, after this majority of the players will realise how the game lacks content, and the game will turn into a Ghost town quick. SEGA in my opinion needs to address the major issues with the game and the lack of content.

I agree. To me this game is far from finished, and there are places that step back from base pso2.

As a FO/TE player, there are only 6 techniques available. Base PSO2 has 6 elements, each having 7 techs available, and that does not include compound techs and such. PP conversion takes your HP away but never add them back when it is done.

I really really hate the design of resta signs, especially when you need to manually press E to pick them up. Haven't we already collected more then enough crystals in base pso2? Mining base defense? Buster quests? Divide quests?

Platforming, way too much platforming. You even need a lot of platforming when grinding exps.

I wondered how long it would be until we saw the "this game has no endgame content" thread that literally every new MMO gets when it launches.

We will get more as they update stuff. They had already announced monthly updates coming over the next few months. You can also play other games between patches if you run out of stuff to do. There's nothing wrong with that at all, lots of people do it.

Why do some people think games are suppose to be played indefinitely? I don't understand this mentality.

@Lorient said in My own personal opinion so far about NGS:

I wondered how long it would be until we saw the "this game has no endgame content" thread that literally every new MMO gets when it launches.

We will get more as they update stuff. They had already announced monthly updates coming over the next few months. You can also play other games between patches if you run out of stuff to do. There's nothing wrong with that at all, lots of people do it.

Wut? When did I say anything about Endgame content? I understand that there is a schedule of new updates in the following months, but the launching felt like a lackluster in content, mostly fashion-wise.

@Zeke It's an mmo. It's meant to have longer longevity than rpgs. As it is, it doesn't even have the content to be on par with a generic rpg, let alone a mmo.

Being a revolving door where new players constantly quit because there's nothing to do isn't what devs want in an mmo. You want people to keep playing to get them to want to swipe. Unless ms gives them so much money, that sega stopped caring about the playerbase.

@Star-Platinum said in My own personal opinion so far about NGS:

@Zeke It's an mmo. It's meant to have longer longevity than rpgs. As it is, it doesn't even have the content to be on par with a generic rpg, let alone a mmo.

Being a revolving door where new players constantly quit because there's nothing to do isn't what devs want in an mmo. You want people to keep playing to get them to want to swipe. Unless ms gives them so much money, that sega stopped caring about the playerbase.

Have you hit level 20 on a main and sub class?

Did you try other classes and getting them to 20?

Do you have maxed out rarity 4 star NGS weapons?

How about maxed out rarity 4 star units?

Are those also augmented?

Did you find all 113 red boxes?

Have you done all the towers and cocoons?

Have you noticed there is a collectable sheet for each area? Did you get those yet?

I don't know why people are claiming it doesn't have much to do when I'm seeing plenty. Just because you don't like what they're offering doesn't make it obsolete in terms of content.

alot of you seem new to PSO in general let alone this is a brand new game in its self. It's going to slowly build up just like PSO 2 did 12 years ago. The entire game is just a loot rpg. You're meant to play casually. Some of you are so high strung sit back have a drink play it for a bit then move on till you get the itch to come back.

Meh, dont let my judgment cloud your mind, most likely It's because of the lag and poor launch of server that causes negative gameplay experience, hopefully it will get better.

The lack of fashion thing doesn't really bug me. My guess is they (rightfully) assumed we had plenty of fashion in our PSO2 collections to use. Even NPCs are wearing PSO2 clothes. I dug some lesser-used outfits out of my PSO2 character's wardrobe for a change in pace.

Though, this might be a minor nitpick, but I hope some later clothes in this game end up closer to the feel of PSU than PSO2. I felt like PSU's outfits had a "Tron" appeal that was completely missing in PSO2. (Yeah, there was plenty of glowey clothing, but I miss the aesthetic of the lineshields of PSU. PSO2's clothes just looked like somebody slapped a bunch of old indiglo backlights on a bunch of stuff.) Or hell, maybe just release a bunch of PSU clothes that haven't made it over yet into the game.

Yeah, this is a bad take all around.... I wouldn't even know where to begin.

@Charus said in My own personal opinion so far about NGS:

1. While I love the concept of the Open world, I just sometimes miss the more simpler and more sandboxy feeling of the original PSO2, where we could easily pick any quest or challenges from the counter and the game would throw us up quickly right into the rage of combat.

you can kinda do that....by clicking the ryuker and choose a room...then just join the battlefield instantly...its just like old pso2

1. I realise that when PSO2 was initialy launched on the JP side 8 - 9 years ago and did not have content, but I am sure it had decent amount of starting available Fascion items/cosmetics and Outfits/Uniforms available. I'm not gonna start with the gear of the player because I dont think this is of importance, but I think NGS entirely lacks in content when it comes to the fashion aspect, the "Soldier Line" doesnt provide anything interesting for me, and the amount of NGS starting default outfits available is almost complete null compared to the base PSO2.

it lacks new fashion yea - but it just released so...i cant think of any mmorpg right now that had a huge amount of fashion from start...just a year and itll be the old phashion star online again....ngs hairstyles are actually bugging me too....could have been more

1. This take would most likely be wrong, because in base PSO2 I have been mostly an Phantom/Braver player myself, since those classes had one of the most fast paced playstyles, but still hear; NGS combat just feels extremely slow-paced and clunky to me, It could be because of the lag in the game but still it feels slow. I know Fighter is fast paced, but I'm not interested in Fighter because it does not have any weapons I'd interested in trying to play, especialy because this class is very squishy.

ranger feels fast paced to me....playing ranger/force right now just to try it again with new set of passive skills available...if you multi weapon launcher and rifle you get lotsa fun too...never felt clunky to me at all.....but idk about other classes

To conclude, I honestly think that the game would be most likely "Crowded" for 3 to 6 days, untill all players will reach level 20 and obtain all the high level gear, after this majority of the players will realise how the game lacks content, and the game will turn into a Ghost town quick. SEGA in my opinion needs to address the major issues with the game and the lack of content.

if you play 24/7 you might be done with the content in approx 2-3 weeks? (the content i currently know of - havent seen everything yet i guess) youll have to consider the breaks you need for sleep etc...getting all classes to 20 costs you around hmm 3 days straight playing no sleep doing the most effective way over and over again...getting the endgame augments (those i currently know of) might take abit longer than that...and all the meseta/mats to upgrade your gear...uff might be quite abit....probably worth 2 weeks of dailies/weeklies for 2 weapons and 6 armor if you decide to have 2 classes you wanna play with...from that point on you "play for fun" (if youre really just a -i clear all content and get everything possible then the game is useless to me- kinda player)

The thing is: ngs neither has endgame content nor content at all.

• story quests: about 1 hour of playtime? Very easy and boring; the only thing that was remotely cool was the dragon boss that is also an UQ
  • what is there to do after you finished all quests and hit lvl 15+? keep grinding monsters that are no challenge until lvl 20 and do it all over for a different class? sorry but this is way different from other mmos. What mmo can you finish in a single day until you reach the softcap where you only grind slowly for some exp? maybe BDO in the current state..., but everyone should know by now that that game sucks and is a bad example for good content design
  • the beta was about 80% of the current content and 2 days was plenty to see and play it all, says about everything imo
  • cosmetics suck and the whole ngs body/face stuff is just annoying; thank god they will remake existing stuff and sell it to you again for full price
  • the lag in this game is the worst ive ever experienced in an mmo yet. day 1 = the usual mmo start, day 2 = the blocks of ship 3 are at 50% capacity and the delay while playing is like 10 seconds
  • 100 red boxes that sometimes contain 10sg = content
  • it took like 2 hours to finish every single cocoon with all secondary goals
  • the combat system has no depths and i really miss my og fighter, the gameplay in ngs is braindead
  • whats the point in open world and immersion when the netcode cant transmit the location of player. even when playing in a party, there are so many instances where my teammate would just run in place for literally 30seconds until teleporting

I happen to agree with all of this guys points and Im adding one. I know its a new game and while its loseley connected to ps02 where you can change between one and the other other. Some of the gear transfer excetra myself im mad about the classes myself. Even if theres limited story content at once I don't think its right That we have to wait to next year for summoners and what not. The should have realised all classes that you have in po02 in ngs at same time. Thats just my honest opinion.

second what if your completely new. Im not but I can see it happening. Forcing you you to complete tutorial first then jump between ps02 and ps02 new genesis In my humble opinion it takes away from the imerisian of story. What if by being new you want to play ps02 first to get a feel for whats what. From The very start of game you should be able to chose where you start you want to go with ps02 you should if you want to start with ng you you should be able to two.

All that being said I do like ps02 and NG i know its only second day and things will get better But i do think the owner of this post has some good points. I will continue to play but I agree with him

@Charus said in My own personal opinion so far about NGS:

Meh, dont let my judgment cloud your mind, most likely It's because of the lag and poor launch of server that causes negative gameplay experience, hopefully it will get better.

Well, when a game is unplayable, it's only natural to be negative.