This Stuttering & Lag Needs To Be Addressed

I'm all for giving games & devs the benefit of the doubt (except for Ubisoft or EA), but I'm running 32 gigs of RAM, and an Intel i7-7700K 4.20ghz (8 cores), with a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070, and the game is on medium settings. My drivers are up to date.

And I'm still getting random stutters every few seconds, plus major freeze-ups when I level up.

Also, the game is laggy as heck. I would have expected it to settle down after launch day, but it's really great to be fighting some big DOLL, the action freezes for 10-15 seconds, then I'm nuked. 😞

must be addressed but they are in japan and normally don't care for things out of japan.

@samsaralotus said in This Stuttering & Lag Needs To Be Addressed:

must be addressed but they are in japan and normally don't care for things out of japan.

Wait, so the global servers are in Japan and not in US? That would explain the horrendous lag.

@NotTriEdge said in This Stuttering & Lag Needs To Be Addressed:

Wait, so the global servers are in Japan and not in US? That would explain the horrendous lag.

No, they're not. They're Microsoft Azure servers hosted in the US. The person you're replying to just has a post history of replying to any issue he has with the game as "SEGA hates any country that's not Japan".

The lag is most likely due to strain on the servers due to the number of people playing. Remember, we're global, not just NA, so its a LOT more people than the JP servers have. It also feels like Sega underestimated the people that weren't previous PSO2 players that would jump on to try out the game. Issues like this are par for the course for most MMO launches/expansions, give it a couple days and everything will settle or, if it is an actual game bug causing the lag, get patched.

@Lorient said in This Stuttering & Lag Needs To Be Addressed:

@NotTriEdge said in This Stuttering & Lag Needs To Be Addressed:

No, they're not. They're Microsoft Azure servers hosted in the US. The person you're replying to just has a post history of replying to any issue he has with the game as "SEGA hates any country that's not Japan".

The lag is most likely due to strain on the servers due to the number of people playing. Remember, we're global, not just NA, so its a LOT more people than the JP servers have. It also feels like Sega underestimated the people that weren't previous PSO2 players that would jump on to try out the game. Issues like this are par for the course for most MMO launches/expansions, give it a couple days and everything will settle or, if it is an actual game bug causing the lag, get patched.

Thanks for answering. I hope they fix it soon, NGS has been pretty fun so far.

@NotTriEdge No problem! Hope you can stick with it until they get the lag fixed. 🙂

The intermittent lag is definitely frustrating. Killing the boss of the current final story quest was pretty tricky owed to the fact that damage and healing would take between 10 and 30 seconds to register sometimes.

Hopefully Sega will do something about it rather than just hoping it will fix itself. The game has been great outside of the lag.

I think sega obviously knows about the issues, but the approach they seem to be taking is "well we took 3 days to get the game out, and people are already mad, so we'll just let it go on and enjoy what they can for a bit, then we'll fix it"

Just a hunch that's what they are doing.

I mean how wou

Give the PSO2 Team more $ by buying ARKS Cash (AC). It is hot, hot, hot up in this free MMORPG. I plan on dropping half a grand (500USD) after first month's pay.

Also, once you get use to the connection speeds, you can guesstimate when you need to heal/DPS.

@Eguzky-0 said in This Stuttering & Lag Needs To Be Addressed:

I'm all for giving games & devs the benefit of the doubt (except for Ubisoft or EA), but I'm running 32 gigs of RAM, and an Intel i7-7700K 4.20ghz (8 cores), with a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070, and the game is on medium settings. My drivers are up to date.

Check your Internet Connection Speed

And I'm still getting random stutters every few seconds, plus major freeze-ups when I level up.

Xfinity has a bundle I believe $480/yr for basic cable + Internet

Also, the game is laggy as heck. I would have expected it to settle down after launch day, but it's really great to be fighting some big DOLL, the action freezes for 10-15 seconds, then I'm nuked. 😞

Free 2 Play is here to stay, k? Also: <<DOLLS>>

@Robo-Mason-S said in This Stuttering & Lag Needs To Be Addressed:

Give the PSO2 Team more $ by buying ARKS Cash (AC). It is hot, hot, hot up in this free MMORPG. I plan on dropping half a grand (500USD) after first month's pay.

Also, once you get use to the connection speeds, you can guesstimate when you need to heal/DPS.

I can't tell if you're serious or not but you do know most of that money goes to the publisher and not the devs right?

@Eguzky-0 The problem is not really on the client end.

The problem is very very much on server-side. Lots of UI stuff triggers netcode events.

The problem I'm seeing a lot is suggestive of server memory being insufficient, like they're running them on under-provisioned virtual machines. I've seen these exact same kinds of lag issues in another game that predates PSO2. Basically, when you move around the map, you cross through different sectors which are virtual channels, so that only 8-32 people can be in them. This part works well enough, however whatever the underlying netcode is doing, is resulting 5sec to 2-minute long lag spikes (suggestive of swap thrashing), so this results in things like hitting a boss for a minute, while everything else is not moving, and then suddenly you see the flying text a few dozen times and it falls over dead.

The same thing is also affecting the display of resource nodes, where, even if you have a quest to find that item, the quest marker is not showing up. The game that predates PSO2 also had this kind of problem. Every time something moves, the client has to interpolate the positions of everything.

So when either the server has issues, or the data center has issues (eg Ship 2 is super laggy, but Ship 3 wasn't nearly as bad) suddenly everything connected to that server becomes congested.

Now I assume this will eventually get fixed, but for the most part, no MMORPG has ever had a flawless launch.

Here's a potential "bug", and I don't know if others have observed this, but on Ship 3, which was an imported character, it took me around 12 hours to get from level 1 to level 10. But on Ship 2, which was a 2 character, PSO2NG only, I got there in only 6 hours. Despite ship 2 being horrifically laggier.

This makes me wonder if the server is mis-calculating positions and rewarding experience just for being anywhere near mobs even if not fighting them. So a more congested server might be over-distributing experience, money and such.

@NotWhoUThink said in This Stuttering & Lag Needs To Be Addressed:

I can't tell if you're serious or not >

I'm facetious

but you do know most of that money goes to the publisher and not the devs right?

Satan is a spammer, and the Devil is a troll.

I can't tell if you're serious or not >

I'm facetious

but you do know most of that money goes to the publisher and not the devs right?

Satan is a spammer, and the Devil is a troll.

Ah, my bad. I never was very good at detecting sarcasm for some reason.

I can't tell if you're serious or not but you do know most of that money goes to the publisher and not the devs right?

It's a troll account. Best to ignore it.