Can we stop making the characters so unrealisticaly tall and massive?

This is a massive indicator of terrible character writing, when you make the entire character's personality revolve around how tall, strong and physicaly massive he is.

in the NGS I'm not so inpressed with the characters cast and story, because It tries WAY too hard to rip-off the Jumanji movies; Huge jungles with Animals? Check. Story being not so serious and Goofy similar to Jumanji movies? Check. Characters being tall, massive and huge muscles like they took a load of steroids and have their body Tan colored like Spencer/Rock (Dwayne Johnson)? Check.

Can we stop repeating those annoying tropes already? I'm dissapointed because you are not creating anything original except for copying everything from fucking Hollywood and the extremely Shallow beauty standards that western culture has.

Literaly, I am trying to recreate myself in the game, 5'5" height male character, and guess what, my character looks like massive Midget, even compared to female characters because they try to make them look like those Hollywood tall models, because appearently people like me do not exist.

@Charus if you don't like it then just go back to pso2 after finishing the prolouge

Garoa is Modern Seagata Sanshiro. Garoa is my beastly bae.

@TURION-MOONSTAR said in Can we stop making the characters so unrealisticaly tall and massive?:

@Charus if you don't like it then just go back to pso2 after finishing the prolouge

So you're accepting mediocrity instead of expecting something better?

No wonder Sega is having a good time killing Phantasy Star's legacy

Garoa is pretty much the tallest NPC and he's only about 6' tall. Aina and Manon are in the sub-5'8" range IIRC. What part of that in unrealistic? Honestly, I find it a little weird how short all the NPCs are.

yes please, only lolis and their male versions lolis or whatever they are called...:DxD:(:):?

Dwarfs? :3

8BF36EEC-00BC-4554-ACC4-3586A71458C6.jpeg

I would like to create a gnome like in wow but you can't be so small, that dwarf is great:o

Thx! Shame I can’t be any shorter, but I make do. ;3

@jaykat said in Can we stop making the characters so unrealisticaly tall and massive?:

Garoa is pretty much the tallest NPC and he's only about 6' tall. Aina and Manon are in the sub-5'8" range IIRC. What part of that in unrealistic? Honestly, I find it a little weird how short all the NPCs are.

Really? How tall do you want them to be, literal skyscrappers? Women in average are only 5'3 height, men on average are 5'7 in terms of height, globaly. Not every game has to revolve around your holland/Scandinavian skyscrappers, hollywood already does that with fetishizing tall people and putting discriminative beauty standards.

@Chantro said in Can we stop making the characters so unrealisticaly tall and massive?:

yes please, only lolis and their male versions lolis or whatever they are called...:DxD:(:):?

I hope that is a troll right? I am 5'5" tall, I am 22 years old adult male/guy, I am a loli appearently. Women on average are 5'3, atleast the majority of all of them are. Adult people, both male and female, below the 5'7 height exist too, we are not "Lolis", get the hell outta here with your takes.

@Charus said in Can we stop making the characters so unrealisticaly tall and massive?:

Really? How tall do you want them to be, literal skyscrappers? Women in average are only 5'3 height, men on average are 5'7 in terms of height, globaly. Not every game has to revolve around your holland/Scandinavian skyscrappers, hollywood already does that with fetishizing tall people and putting discriminative beauty standards.

Given that PSO2 has a very anime writing and art style to it - it is following an average troupe seen in thousands of mangas and anime.

Typically Garoa in normal manga / anime fashion would been around a lot longer, to cement in his type, Big strong and protective care giver with an impactful end to his arc. I am very positive we will be seeing flash backs on how this character became who he is and why his death impacted the two so much.

It isn't that he is massive, there are hints to how he is stern, but a kind person. Powerful but know when to show compassion. Often found in large men in anime if they are not a villain.

And he is so far the only one, unless you count the casts and the maybe two unnamed background characters seen in a few cuts. In the end, he is realistically fitting in with the writing, design and universe based on how the series has went since they really found their footing PSIII.

@Charus said in Can we stop making the characters so unrealisticaly tall and massive?:

I hope that is a troll right? I am 5'5" tall, I am 22 years old adult male/guy, I am a loli appearently. Women on average are 5'3, atleast the majority of all of them are. Adult people, both male and female, below the 5'7 height exist too, we are not "Lolis", get the hell outta here with your takes.

Kinda a knee jerk to an obvious joke. Lolis / Shotos have a very distinctive look and design to them and can be easily spotted in a crowd of other short characters. Short is just that short. Even in anime to western media short is short. Even those who are older but appear young that are short are just that, short. Tall or short isn't a character trait nor a true description - it is a gimmick to ease in certain key plot points later that maybe underline grim or too dark to throw out at once.

Lina Inverse and Edward Elric - most notably short and the most famous of short anime characters (despite their being thousands of other examples.)

Lina is mid thirties, gets treated as a lost child by friend and foe do to her looking young; but gets mocked for being short when she turns out to be a foul mouthed care free magic user who only enjoys booze, money and blowing up the random town. As she continues to grow from being selfish to selfless, friends stop mocking her height, and villains see her as a threat instead of a "child" and have to act accordingly as shes has grown, not physically but morally and will reach for things that maybe troublesome for said villains.

Ed, gets mocked for being young and short; though he has seen plenty of things, but is still a teenager that has yet to truly experience the world. As he grows in character and experience, the jokes on his height lessens and become a thing of the past. Uses his travels, knowledge and experiences to grow into a bigger person, not physically, but emotionally through self sacrifice.

I’ll give an example of size differences:

Here’s me at my average height of 154, with no shoes on. ❤

8082D509-928A-4CD4-9500-5EFA6BFFE01C.jpeg

Here’s me in my Elder Pain form, standing at a whopping 231! 🔥

22C3BDB8-9E60-48CE-A426-54B8B986692F.jpeg

I could pet Garoa at that height. XD

@Viola-Lance said in Can we stop making the characters so unrealisticaly tall and massive?:

Given that PSO2 has a very anime writing and art style to it - it is following an average troupe seen in thousands of mangas and anime.

Typically Garoa in normal manga / anime fashion would been around a lot longer, to cement in his type, Big strong and protective care giver with an impactful end to his arc. I am very positive we will be seeing flash backs on how this character became who he is and why his death impacted the two so much.

It isn't that he is massive, there are hints to how he is stern, but a kind person. Powerful but know when to show compassion. Often found in large men in anime if they are not a villain.

And he is so far the only one, unless you count the casts and the maybe two unnamed background characters seen in a few cuts. In the end, he is realistically fitting in with the writing, design and universe based on how the series has went since they really found their footing PSIII.

Kinda a knee jerk to an obvious joke. Lolis / Shotos have a very distinctive look and design to them and can be easily spotted in a crowd of other short characters. Short is just that short. Even in anime to western media short is short. Even those who are older but appear young that are short are just that, short. Tall or short isn't a character trait nor a true description - it is a gimmick to ease in certain key plot points later that maybe underline grim or too dark to throw out at once.

Lina Inverse and Edward Elric - most notably short and the most famous of short anime characters (despite their being thousands of other examples.)

Lina is mid thirties, gets treated as a lost child by friend and foe do to her looking young; but gets mocked for being short when she turns out to be a foul mouthed care free magic user who only enjoys booze, money and blowing up the random town. As she continues to grow from being selfish to selfless, friends stop mocking her height, and villains see her as a threat instead of a "child" and have to act accordingly as shes has grown, not physically but morally and will reach for things that maybe troublesome for said villains.

Ed, gets mocked for being young and short; though he has seen plenty of things, but is still a teenager that has yet to truly experience the world. As he grows in character and experience, the jokes on his height lessens and become a thing of the past. Uses his travels, knowledge and experiences to grow into a bigger person, not physically, but emotionally through self sacrifice.

That does not change that people need to stop looking at tallness as being some form of beauty and superiority over shortness, and overlooking shortness as a flaw in someone for simply being one.

I like the Base PSO2 character cast, because it is way more diverse when it comes to height, unlike NGS.

That does not change that people need to stop looking at tallness as being some form of beauty and superiority over shortness, and overlooking shortness as a flaw in someone for simply being one. I like the Base PSO2 character cast, because it is way more diverse when it comes to height, unlike NGS.

What you are seeing and reacting to is a very small fraction with in an already small fraction who just happen to be loud solely looking for a reaction.

Tall, short, skinny, muscular, or fat are not descriptions, depictions or traits of who or how a character is or how they will grow into their roll, they are, again, gimmicks used to push a joke, or darker narrative later in the plot if it gets constantly mentioned or shown.

Characters like Garoa are well with in realistic terms of fiction and reality while using the gimmick. As others stated before, and giving the natural surroundings and buildings Garoa is barely pushing over 6 foot. Maybe 250 lbs. His designs show two forms given how PS has been for the past 30+ years.

Garao will be seen again, clearly as NGS' version of Elder Falz - Key points, Sharp features, strong outlines; ie. jaw, eyes, arms and chest. Exposed masculinity and scars (versus POS2 who talked/bragged about it versus showing it) and a subtle love for the battle but greater desire to protect with his overwhelming strength.

Elder is built upon masculine / physically strong and built characters. Using the urges to fight / defend / grow stronger to fuel the darker side of a person.

As well, we'll see the other versions here soon as well using said gimmicks. Why? cause it has been a staple of the story, often caused by a Luther type character at some point - who would be taller than Garao, (Luther sitting at 6'3" if i recall correctly) but Luther is also very cruel as he is smart as was a key figure due to his nature. So the argument that taller is better is moot.

it's a game? and for lore I thought that arks had a certain genetic manipulation that made them more apt to face enemies (I don't remember well, I saw the series and completed the story mode of pso2), it would not have that context, besides being in the future (not ours)?

If people want to create pj as oneself it will be fine, but getting angry because the game was not made for their taste and focused more on having a relationship with the history or tastes of other players, is it very childish for 22 years? xd