Is SEGA going to paywall us 100sg/a salon ticket everytime you want to switch between old and new faces and not have one look terrible?

Kind of a big concern I had, but I literally never saw anyone bring it up.

Back in the beta, there was an option to de-sync pso2 and ngs style bodies, which makes sense. Neither body can use phasion from the other (aside from hair/accessories) and just generally have different shapes, so might as well allow them to be customized separate if you really care.

However this didn't seem to apply to faces which I found out after switching to a pso2 face and customizing it to see how well it can look in the new engine. Unfortunately after switching back, I found the NGS face I spent like an hour on ruined because the NGS sliders were still synced to the PSO2 ones, no character data saves in the beta so I had to start from scratch again. Why would the body part that requires the most amount of care, time and precision to get the way you want be forcibly affected by sliders that aren't its own? The faces look terrible just when switching between the ones from the same game, so it'd be odd to think synced sliders would suddenly work between faces from different games.

I'll say it now, maybe I missed an option for it, maybe it was just a bug, or maybe they just didn't have an option for it yet. Personally, I don't want to believe that the devs would opt for such an incredibly scummy tactic when face cosmetics were often crazy expensive on the player market, long before cradle ruined the economy, so you know people spent money for them if they weren't sitting on millions of meseta, but recent practices have me a tad concerned

I deeply apologize if I'm wrongly accusing the dev team, but if this even an option on the table, please do not punish us who just enjoy this part of the character creator or those who have spent time and money into getting facial cosmetics in PSO2 just because we wanted to try the shiny new face you've been advertising for so long.

And in the unfortunate event that this is true, can we not stay quiet about it?

Sorry my first post here is kind of a downer but I really want to get this cleared up.

They give out salon tickets like candy in PSO2. I would assume NGS will be the same way.

I'll admit, they give out a lot them, but this honestly isn't something that should need a ticket in the first place. Absolutely no body cosmetics (paints, makeup, eyes, etc) are shared between NGS and PSO2 bodies and there's already the option to desync them so there's no technical limitation either. The bodies are so separate, there's no good reason to force any part of them to be synced.

If I'm still using a PSO2 face and see some nice NGS eyebrows or something on the market or in a scratch, I won't even be able to properly judge if it'd work on my character's face unless I go to the salon, spend a ticket, then setup the NGS face to the way I'd want it. The tickets won't last at all if it came to that.

It's how they make money. Welcome to F2P games my friend lol.

Havent tried NGS yet but there is a selection of FREE faces to pick and choose whenever

@Zeke said in Is SEGA going to paywall us 100sg/a salon ticket everytime you want to switch between old and new faces and not have one look terrible?:

It's how they make money. Welcome to F2P games my friend lol.

I know its f2p lol, I know what that entails but they already have a number of other, less scummy ways to monetize though. Not only that, half of the new features added to character customization will take a ticket anyways so there are already a lot more reasons to use them.

I just don't feel that charging $5 USD every time I'd like to simply switch between, not edit, PSO2 and NGS-type faces just to make the one I'm switching to not hideous is a reasonable way to monetize.

Especially after they went to such great lengths to say the bodies are separate and advertise that you could seemlessly switch between them, as if they were respecting the time and money you poured into your PSO2 character.

@naruto1171 I'm with you here, I've been hoping they add a desync option for at least the new + old face types so I can go back to my old look for nostalgia sometimes, since I can't see myself ever using a salon ticket to downgrade. I could be wrong, but think I recall the option to desync human and cast bodies didn't exist on JP release for old PSO2 so I'm really hoping this is something they add at some point!

If by some chance its not a thing at launch, then yeah I hope it comes soon. It just seems a bit ridiculous when one of the last scratches we got was one filled with facial cosmetics lol. If you rolled on it, your purchase would essentially be invalidated if you wanted go with an NGS face, you'd have to salon pass every time you wanted to switch back and properly enjoy your stuff.

you can swap between bodys at any time faces and racial items like cast parts horns ears etc confirmed and tested on the jp servers when they dropped the graphics update

I know the swap is free, my issue is the sliders that are synced.

Nice looking NGS face sliders =/= a nice looking PSO2 face and vice versa, quite the opposite actually. Beyond that you just cant have the look you want on one without messing up the look you want on the other as far as we know.

@naruto1171 Yeah, it would be great if we have the option at launch but if it wasn't in the beta I'm not really expecting it unfortunately. But I do think it would be more respectful to the time and money of players swapping to NGS from old PSO2 if they could use their old face cosmetics as easily as an outfit swap in the fashion tab without them morphing into some kind of monstrosity yea

This is a follow-up thought but I wonder if it's just that the body desync for NGS was easier to incorporate off the bat since the same thing already existed for human and cast looks before. Though it is kinda weird that we've had the option to swap face type for free but not actually make them all look good enough to do that.

Well, I can somewhat understand different faces in PSO2 needing a pass to edit since most other MMOs did something similar, but yeah it is weird. I personally though anime face was godawful until I saw other people using the face with proper sliders.

But In fairness, I don't think the desync option was in the benchmark at all, so maybe its something they noticed or are working on and I just overreacted. I'll gladly eat a slice of humble pie if that's the case but until launch, we just have to wait and see

@naruto1171 said in Is SEGA going to paywall us 100sg/a salon ticket everytime you want to switch between old and new faces and not have one look terrible?:

Well, I can somewhat understand different faces in PSO2 needing a pass to edit since most other MMOs did something similar, but yeah it is weird. I personally though anime face was godawful until I saw other people using the face with proper sliders.

But In fairness, I don't think the desync option was in the benchmark at all, so maybe its something they noticed or are working on and I just overreacted. I'll gladly eat a slice of humble pie if that's the case but until launch, we just have to wait and see

Body desync option exists already as for face it is not currently a thing but yeah wait and see also post feedback about it. 🙂

I mean, this was technically a problem even before NGS. Like if you wanted to try out a Beast Face look, that had very different underlying morphology to the sharp, anime or baby faces and would typically require a salon pass rejiggering of sliders.

What always puzzled me is how I could change my eye type or eye colour freely, but had to use a salon pass to recolour my hair, which IRL is one of the least invasive cosmetic procedures you can get done.