Listen up devs. Steam players are having an issue where the game is crashing BEFORE launcher.

Fresh install and get the same issue. Can't even get to the launcher.

Just wanted to ensure everyone is on the same page with the same error message.

When you click on "play". you get the following error and when you click ok, the guard runs in the background and nothing happens.

Untitled.png

Same issue as above on a fresh install, will be trying the tweaker out next i guess.

@Nevzat-0 said in Listen up devs. Steam players are having an issue where the game is crashing BEFORE launcher.:

A ton of us are having an issue where it will say there is an update to the game files , restarting application, game guard pops up and then dissapears and then nothing happens. It repeats if we do it.

Your message saying there is an issue with the patcher is not highlighting this issue, so can you let us know how to proceed please?

This is affecting lots of people. It would be good to know how to proceed in preparation as I don't want to have to verify files or re-download the game again once the launcher goes live. It doesn't seem we can even get to the launcher.

Thanks

Came over here from the Steam forum thread about the same thing. Just downloaded/installed the game to play NG tomorrow and having a popup stating the game has an update and needs to restart, shows a small PSO2 image, then closes. Game never starts.

@Like-A-Pimp said in Listen up devs. Steam players are having an issue where the game is crashing BEFORE launcher.:

Just wanted to ensure everyone is on the same page with the same error message.

When you click on "play". you get the following error and when you click ok, the guard runs in the background and nothing happens.

Untitled.png

This is the exact pop-up I'm getting too.

@Leondre tweaker does work, already tested.

Downloaded the NGS update from a prior Steam install, game starts and runs through to the ship selection screen. This installation has never had anything to do with the Tweaker.

Sorry this post doesn't contribute much, other than to share a single report of successful non-Tweaker Steam installation.

@parseval said in Listen up devs. Steam players are having an issue where the game is crashing BEFORE launcher.:

I had the same problem OP. I'm reinstalling it right now. BTW "Don't use integrity check on steam" because it will fail and the game will be downloaded again

Yeah, unbeknownst to me at the time, I made that mistake. Just waiting for official launch to see if it gets resolved. I'm not salty, nor will be, if no fix is forthcoming but, I am of the type to bail without giving it a chance because issues like these have become too common place in this industry over the past decade. I really do want to play, as I loved the beta experience I had. Fingers crossed mate!

Hi All, this was posted on reddit by another user, and I thought I'd share it here, but there's a simple fix:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSO2/comments/nvmvdc/actual_solution_for_pso2_ngs_steam_launcher_error/

It's sad that its up to regular users to troubleshoot this kind of stuff.

Greetings!

My best guess is that the issue is caused by the current Steam files (from today) having some sort of error. That would explain why people who preloaded their New Genesis yesterday on Steam have no issues, as those files were an older version.

For some people the Reddit fixes will work, unfortunately for a lot of other people it will not. Hopefully by the time this extended maintenance is over, the issue is resolved. Keep an eye out for a Steam update for PSO2, I assume that's how a patch will be sent out.

same problem on steam for my wife and me on 2 pc