Your ratings on the story

Hey, I first heard about the game yesterday and was asking myself if the Story is worth reading or is pretty much basic and i can rush/skip the cut scenes. I played a lot of MMO's and most of them had a similar story line, sadly, because of this its mostly nothing new and often pretty darn boring. Players who already played PSO2 before and already know the world could probably answer this question good ^^

I enjoyed ep 1-3 a lot, though episode 1 took a good 5 chapters to get going. Ep4 was a train wreck, ep 5 was better, and ep6 I enjoyed a lot, even if it was rather short

The story is very "animu power of friendship"-esque, whether or not this is worth playing through for the story's sake is something only you can answer. Aside from that there are a lot of rewards such as weapon skins which are only available through the story so it's worth going through it just for that if you're interested in something like that.

I enjoyed pretty much the whole story. Even EP 4, though that might be because I adored Hitsugi. I didn't like how a number of cutscenes starting with ep5 became those weird "visual novel" style cutscenes. Where instead of being a fully animated scene, they were just the animated models with a static background. If I have any major complaints about the story itself, its that the epilogue is REALLY lacking. One of the most disappointing things for me.

@Patchouli-Chan said in Your ratings on the story:

I enjoyed pretty much the whole story. Even EP 4, though that might be because I adored Hitsugi. I didn't like how a number of cutscenes starting with ep5 became those weird "visual novel" style cutscenes. Where instead of being a fully animated scene, they were just the animated models with a static background. If I have any major complaints about the story itself, its that the epilogue is REALLY lacking. One of the most disappointing things for me.

Oh really? I thought the epilogue was pretty decent you got something like 13 sub stories that opened up once you beat the main story. Took a while to get through them all.

While we’re on the subject of the story, is it’s possible to reset it? Has in all the substories etc appear when they’re meant too, instead of just having one massive list. Now that we’ve got the graphical update I want to go through it again.

Yeeeeeaaaaahhhhhh, i got opinions. I'll just skip another rant and say that episode 1-3 were your average power of love and friendship trite. Episode 4 was such insufferable garbage that everything after that didn't matter since it sucked every bit of what admittedly little interest i had in the story. So, i watched through 1-3 and basically skipped the rest.

The best NGS can do is go back to episode 1-3 since it's 100% going to be more of the same old anime atrocity. Hopefully they'll allow people to skip it again.

@TEN-SQUARE-3 said in Your ratings on the story:

@Patchouli-Chan said in Your ratings on the story:

Oh really? I thought the epilogue was pretty decent you got something like 13 sub stories that opened up once you beat the main story. Took a while to get through them all.

The issue was that there were a number of characters who basically got no screentime in the epilogue. Iirc, you don't even see Risa again. There was just a lot of characters that could've gotten more dialogue (and in some cases ANY dialogue) that simply didn't.

It's very... very, anime. But it earns it's ending, and what an ending it is.

I'd like to have seen them focus more on the schlocky sci-fi elements that episode 1-3 and 6 are about, Episode 5 felt like they were trying too hard to jam fantasy elements into the game even if there was a narrative excuse for it. Episode 4 I didn't find as bad as a lot of people make out even if it was far from my favourite episode and plays an important role in the plot

@It-s-Santa-Baby I've heard that some people watch the Phantasy Star Online 2: Episode Oracle anime and then skip the cutscenes for Ep 1 - 3 so that's another possibility.

There's also Phantasy Star Online 2 The Animation, but I've heard worse things about this one and it takes place immediately before Ep 4 so it's not a substitute for those cut scenes.

It's... okay? Hard to finely detail every. It is fun and cheesy and has an element of self awareness that is actually adorable. Honestly, given the outrage seen from outside and from within the community on some elements (cough ep.4 cough cough) - Played worse, seen much worse and that is fine.

Ep. 1-3 is generic, but entertaining and tries to keep its pacing while moving forward.

PSO2 - the animation/Oracle - Ep. 4 ... yeah, you can tell was written during the time of the isikai fad and used and the height was dying down. It's there. It has good moments as well as the cheesy ones - nothing outrageous or line crossing. (Still abetter love story than twilight lol okay sorry... my bad.) All in all, it is fun, very um. Not anime, but driven. Dunno whats driving it, but it is driven, and nobody is going to stop it from enjoying it's drive.

Ep. 5 felt like a nice call back to the original series, especially Omega and the many call backs to PSIII in many elements while throwing easter egg after easter egg from the rest of the series with region names/descriptions and plot drive.

Ep. 6 a nice closing of what has been, what was and use of call back an returning of other characters, and unique choices for character focus and dialogue.

All in all, a sound 7.5 / 10 not the greatest (the greatest often get shelved to be kept as a cherished memory to not be tarnished); but fun and entertaining, and obviously will play again, and again.

@Rang-Dipkin Large parts of Episode 6 would make no sense if you only watch the Episode Oracle anime since it skips the Amduskia and Harkotan parts of the story.

I enjoyed the game's story. Episode 1-3 are very slow and dull at times. 4-6 get a lot better. But I was disappointed by the ending a bit it just kind of abruptly ended with the last boss and there was no any aftermath explanation as to what will happen and what everyone will do now.

@Aquila-ibis said in Your ratings on the story:

I enjoyed the game's story. Episode 1-3 are very slow and dull at times. 4-6 get a lot better. But I was disappointed by the ending a bit it just kind of abruptly ended with the last boss and there was no any aftermath explanation as to what will happen and what everyone will do now.

Sounds like you might have not actually finished the game for real. By the "last boss" do you mean Shiva? - If Shiva was the 'last boss', you've only seen the 'bad ending'.

To fight the final boss, and subsequently see the good ending and access the dozen or so epilogue scenes you need to meet certain criteria. Here's an overview of everything you need to do: https://www.reddit.com/r/PSO2/comments/k5p9bf/how_to_get_the_ep6_true_ending_a_psa_well_ahead/

@Ryuujin said in Your ratings on the story:

@Aquila-ibis said in Your ratings on the story:

Sounds like you might have not actually finished the game for real. By the "last boss" do you mean Shiva? - If Shiva was the 'last boss', you've only seen the 'bad ending'.

To get the 'real' last boss, and subsequently see the good ending and access the dozen or so epilogue scenes you need to meet certain criteria, then replay the fight with Shiva.

Here's an overview of everything you need to do: https://www.reddit.com/r/PSO2/comments/k5p9bf/how_to_get_the_ep6_true_ending_a_psa_well_ahead/

No I beat the last boss and I wasn't impressed by the walk off into the distance everything gonna be fine ending. I mean really Arks spend generation fighting falspawn. For it to just end with "it finally over" cut to credits, I just thought they could have done better. Like what will Arks do now that the threat to the universe is gone they literally had no other goal an now that they reached it they have no new goal. Sure could guess and say they'll defend the peace, but there a lot of gray area in that theory.