Classes seem to lacking Photon arts

I'm not sure whether it was only beta and the full release of NGS is gonna prepare us for more content, but I'm worried about the lack of photon arts that all weapons and classes have.

Personaly I have only joined PSO2 when it was released on Steam (The Global version, I've never played the JP version), and obviously, almost all weapons had like either 8 to 9 Photon arts available to learn and use (Not to count Force/Techer weapons which can only use Techs).

When I watched NGS gameplays from popular PSO2 content makers (Like Anamana and Keroppi), I've noticed in general that their weapons only have like 3 to 5 Photon arts available in general, which seems like lacking in variety compared to base PSO2.

I do really hope NGS launch comes with much more content, because NGS seems to be lacking in content compared to original PSO2, maybe It's just me being dissatisfied that they dont insert the Braver katana class untill later on in August.

Hmm. Raises the question as well if we move our characters over do we keep the skills, I.E.; techniques, photon arts we collected as well upgraded with DIY crafting as we progress of recollect again?

Haven't seen any news on them, just the basics of cosmetics and weapons/gear. Just want to know if worth just starting new or porting over my gal lol...

@Viola-Lance They are not, as it was clear that our progress does not carry over. Also this is not what the thread is about.

I mean to say base PSO2 in general had much more variety in Photon arts available for each weapon, allowing us to shape our playstyle, in NGS each weapon is now fixed to a certain playstyle due to the different mechanics of the game and the amount of available photon arts. In base PSO2, each weapon had large variety in Photon arts that played different role in combat suiting for different situations, so you are forced to build your combos to deliver the best combat results and pull each situation effectively, in NGS every class now is just spamming attack, counter dodging enemy attacks and spamming the same skill/Photon art over and over, especialy now with the Ranger now it is just reducted to shooting only from the sweetspot to deal good damage and counter-dodging just to spam the same skill again, pretty boring if you ask me, while in base PSO2 the Ranger could be played as close range class, pull tactical maneuvers to resposition and also play like a long range sniper.

@Charus ah, thanks for the clarification. Looking back at few of the videos from beta, I now see your point and concerns.

Hopefully just a small oversight fixed in the road map along the way... Hopefully lol.

They already confirmed in the roadmap more PAs and Techs are incoming later but for now their focus is on the other classes and content for the game.

@YagyuChan Yeah I know, but still I'm afraid that I the game will be hyped and played for 3 days and then gets boring quickly because of the lack of content.

@Charus said in Classes seem to lacking Photon arts:

@YagyuChan Yeah I know, but still I'm afraid that I the game will be hyped and played for 3 days and then gets boring quickly because of the lack of content.

While your concerns are well founded I am afraid there is only one way we will find out.

They wanted to get rid of a lot of clutter. Pso2 had a ton of PA that NO ONE used. The less the better imo.

unless you play 24/7 you shouldnt get bored after 3 days

@Zeke

PSO2 had a handful of PAs that no one used, and more than 3 per class that were used with some exceptions like Rod PAs. NGS went too far with PAs and some weapons feel too limited, to the point most people would welcome new PA additions.

I definitely welcome a focused smaller set of PAs that have more nuance in how they are used with charging, weapon action modifiers and situational variation rather than so many static PAs that you can't fit them into your weapon palette.

There's a reason Bouncer is among the least-played classes on JP - because having a ton of abilities to micromanage while trying to fight at the same time suuucks. One thing scion classes did well was stick to a core set of normal attack, weapon action and exactly four PAs to perfectly fit within the weapon palette's six available slots.

What we've seen of NGS so far builds well on that with multi-function PAs and extra attacks that use combination inputs - like the slam attack for quickly chaining a jump input into a normal attack. Four PAs in NGS is not as limited as four PAs in PSO2, especially for non-scion classes.

@YagyuChan said in Classes seem to lacking Photon arts:

They already confirmed in the roadmap more PAs and Techs are incoming later but for now their focus is on the other classes and content for the game.

Sorry but unless they sad that vocally they said class skills and techs. Nothing about photon arts at least on the road map.

@Charus said in Classes seem to lacking Photon arts:

Very doubtful. The game puts a lot more emphasis on movement and positioning. Meaning your PA usage should very up outside of maybe down states.

Level cap is only like 20 so of course as it expands so will the skills.

When pso2 first released in jp many many years ago. Each weapon only had a handful of PA's available to them. (And 3 base classes that required level 30 to reach the next set of classes.) Some I can think of immediately off the top of my head is that Gunner didn't have Shift Period, and Ranger didn't have Satellite Aim for Rifle, or many of the used launcher PA's these days. Pso2 released in NA in a really odd place where we had Episodes 1, 2 and 3. but with many of the system changes that were current when jp was on episode 6. Don't forget that we all experienced the game in NA when it was loaded with a ton of things to do already. Pso2 NGS in a completely new game. Be prepared to grow with it.

@Hooonter said in Classes seem to lacking Photon arts:

@Zeke PSO2 had a handful of PAs that no one used, and more than 3 per class that were used with some exceptions like Rod PAs. NGS went too far with PAs and some weapons feel too limited, to the point most people would welcome new PA additions.

Part of that might be how NGS rearranged the system. Look at Rifle what was formerly covered by 13 PAs is now covered by the following:

• Piercing Round/Position Blast - Charged State of Razing Shot
  • Grenade Shot - Merged with Traps as held WA attack on a short cooldown
  • Steady Shot - Raging Shot's uncharged state
  • Diffusion Round - Given a Buildup version in the form of Spread Shot
  • Homing Volley - Ported in full as Homing Darts with improved multi-target lock
  • Impact Slider - More or less integrated into the Rifle's Dash normal, Counter and Spread Shot
  • Stealth Shot - Tapped version merged with Weak Bullet
  • Slideburst - Rifles base WA
  • Slideburst Zero - Ported directly in as Blaze Shot
  • Satellite Cannon - Rifle Photon Blast

Only PAs that weren't imported to NGS were Homing Volley Zero, Skyfire Salvo and Stealth Shot's crawl.