Differences between NGS Global and JP

Edit: Unintentional Double Post

I’ve heard they had to change Diggah’s name to Excator recently.

Dozer aint Dozer in JP btw

And Diggah ain't Diggah or Excator in JP - it's ディグホール Diguhooru aka Dighole 😆

I mean I get that Diggah or the slave series weapons might be sensitive to some ppl.

Wish they would correct other issues just as fast tho. XD

I think it was a stretch that they 'had' to change Diggah's name or even the Slave series name to Raven. Guess dealing with PR has more priority over other issues in the game, eh?

@Frathlir I'm not particularly convinced that the localization team is the same team making content for the game or addressing the game's workings especially when you take into context the recent events regarding the sponsored streamers.

@HarmlessSyan said in Differences between NGS Global and JP:

Dozer aint Dozer in JP btw

And Diggah ain't Diggah or Excator in JP - it's ディグホール Diguhooru aka Dighole 😆

lol We missed out on some good Diggy Diggy Hole memes.

Although I can see that the wordplay is still there for Global.

Excavators dig holes, so Excator is pretty close to the original context.

I mean it’s a clever renaming, I’ll give it that. The slave series was another good renaming, due to the Raven like designs of the weapons.

I remember another weapon series that got a name change later on, but I don’t know which series it was off hand... 🤔

@Pariah-Chan On the maintenance period at about March 31st (link here) the entire Cuvesse series of weapons was renamed to Gratis where the fan-translation used "Grates" instead. I do not know of why the name was changed or where Cuvesse comes from.

Some weapon names on the Global version differed greatly from the fan-translation such as the Ophistia series of weapons and the Ofze set of units being Ophistia-related in both the English and Japanese versions of the game and the fan-translation chose to use "Austere" instead.

Some weapon translations also dropped religious references to the weapon names such as the Qliphad series of equipment being renamed to "Clifard" in the Global version. On top of losing the flavor text, a lot of these names end up losing their purpose and references as well especially if you compare the whole "Xion" pun regarding the Profound, Celestial, and Lightstream series of weapons (Profound, Starquake, and Trailblazer in Global).

You also had a localization that questionably dodged the whole theme of breaking free when you look at the Novel weapons and units and have them evolve to the "Liberate" weapons and units (they lose their chains). For some reason it was localized as Rivalate which still puzzles me.

You also lose the Darkbanisher Ayer in its name as it becomes "Darkweave Agile" and the Lightweaver Cras as it becomes "Lightweave Klauz" instead.

@VanillaLucia said in Differences between NGS Global and JP:

You also had a localization that questionably dodged the whole theme of breaking free when you look at the Novel weapons and units and have them evolve to the "Liberate" weapons and units (they lose their chains). For some reason it was localized as Rivalate which still puzzles me.

TLDR:

The reasoning could be that the staff didn't want that weapons could "free" someone from something that "constrained them."

A SEGA staff member is better suited to explain this whole political aspect more than my specifically chosen vague wording and phrasing.

However, staff silence could indicate that it may initially have been a staff member who pointed out the sensitivity of one of the modern interpretations of "Liberate" used on an item weapon series.

In which case, I would have no qualms, because it has prevented so much potential backlash if the same type of Gaia Online/ResetEra users went around games or game forums looking to brew up trouble in PSO2. That kind of backlash is how SEGA would lose trust with Microsoft.

It's difficult for any staff member to come out and explain such things, so please understand the intensity of the situation as something that they may only feel comfortable discussing with you in the DM system or not at all.

The Long Story:

I was on Gaia Online when there was a whole drama revolving around "offense" taken over a "liberation" type of term in conjunction to a special charity specific month type of item, so there's absolutely some ResetEra audience that SEGA is concerned about getting into the journalist atmosphere.

For one thing, that website has memed the whole CAST Body Type prior to NGS release.

(The ogre meme that makes fun of racial gender variations in Japanese anime or videogame culture.)

I don't really understand how you'd get to that sort "liberate series being offensive" conclusion in the first place (even as an Autistic Aspie myself), so I'm thinking it's all about the various contextual or out of context interpretations on that one.

It's good that SEGA has a staff member taking care of that sort of Twitter outrage mob issue before it can happen, because it makes both the community and investors happy to not see it.

(It's a little unfortunate that I'm somehow the only one to think logistically and ignore things before becoming hyper sensitive by comparison of such people.)

I probably don't have to explain what sort of an audience those "such people" are, especially because they offend even the people they claim to represent. If you're on Twitter on a daily basis, they're seen as the vocal "majory" despite the fact that Twitter is merely a forum instead of how reality works. (Which is naturally unbalanced or "unequitable" as modern politicians like to say; due to the hotpot nature of America.)

While I do appreciate the effort to control the political/sexual atmosphere, it's still a tragedy that SEGA is more or less forced to "westernize" Japanese culture to please the few who aren't in the majority of the cultural enjoyment group. (IE- Fans of Phantasy Star series since PSO or PSU.)

It would've been more shocking to have never to learned the differences, either.

Hopefully this thread is more eye opening to the casual crowd.

Sad to have devs having to lower their standards to ResetEra for western releases, the people that goes absolutely nuts if your game isn't woke enough. Somethings are just better to stay away from releasing in the west. We are seeing many western influences affect the JP side now and things have been going downhill since. NGS Headline is boring as hell, the old PSO2 Stations were much more entertaining with the comedians and their jokes - much more human, but we got people on here on forums getting offended by the NGS Prologues when they were heavily toned down already.

@HarmlessSyan said in Differences between NGS Global and JP:

Sad to have devs having to lower their standards to ResetEra for western releases, the people that goes absolutely nuts if your game isn't woke enough. Somethings are just better to stay away from releasing in the west. We are seeing many western influences affect the JP side now and things have been going downhill since. NGS Headline is boring as hell, the old PSO2 Stations were much more entertaining with the comedians and their jokes - much more human, but we got people on here on forums getting offended by the NGS Prologues when they were heavily toned down already.

I’m mean the devs never really cared about global PSO2 anyways. Anything outside their own little bubble is pretty much irrelevant.

I'm still kinda sad that we aren't able to trade 20 SG recycle badges for SG scratch free-choice tickets. We can only get them if we draw 40 and so help you if you got everything you want out of the shop.

Not super related to NGS but kinda if you consider importing hair and accessories that aren't in the NGS scratches.

@HarmlessSyan Tbh, the drama on the forums will always be character age interpretation due to the fact that the height slider has numbers with common relation to centimeters.

There's already the "ARKs" language within world, so I would've preferred that in place of the real world numbers.

JP devs can never predict global scale reactions. Which is understandable.

The "ARKS" language is English just in a hard to read font.