Differences between NGS Global and JP

I think they'd at least get the "popular" stuff over on global, but other japan-only stuff that doesn't have any kind of translation available? I doubt they'd bother.

@The-Merfox said in Differences between NGS Global and JP:

I think they'd at least get the "popular" stuff over on global, but other japan-only stuff that doesn't have any kind of translation available? I doubt they'd bother.

They'd either have to go through Netflix for certain anime localizations or Retro Crush and other Digital Media Rights companies who take the unwanted stuff from Funimation/Crunchyroll's hoard of long dilapidated dubs.

There was also an Anti-Piracy movement from multiple studios for an official free YouTube channel called AnimeLog.

I definitely wouldn’t want Sega in charge of freshly translated something.

Gods be operative! :3

@Pariah-Chan said in Differences between NGS Global and JP:

Older licensed stuff I understand, but future licenses shouldn’t be affected hopefully

The difficulty is anime series and stuff will likely have been licensed for western distribution by another company entirely, so Sega doesn't just have to deal with their creator/s but also those licensees who may be unwilling to engage with PSO2 at all or simply have unreasonable demands. If it's the kind of collaboration that isn't just an AC scratch cosmetic set but also voices, cross-promotion and so on that would all need to be negotiated and recorded with three parties which is more complexity (and cost) than a JP to JP direct licensing arrangement.

@Miraglyth said in Differences between NGS Global and JP:

@Pariah-Chan said in Differences between NGS Global and JP:

Older licensed stuff I understand, but future licenses shouldn’t be affected hopefully

The difficulty is anime series and stuff will likely have been licensed for western distribution by another company entirely, so Sega doesn't just have to deal with their creator/s but also those licensees who may be unwilling to engage with PSO2 at all or simply have unreasonable demands. If it's the kind of collaboration that isn't just an AC scratch cosmetic set but also voices, cross-promotion and so on that would all need to be negotiated and recorded with three parties which is more complexity (and cost) than a JP to JP direct licensing arrangement.

That just about sums it all up. Not a whole lot of content is made available for free streaming in terms of any anime.

But, there is a whole lot of content that SEGA had fingers in the cookie jar for.

As with all companies, rights to anime content often get sold to either make ends meet or turn a profit on either end of the sale.

There's only the big two buying up anime in this era: Funimation and Crunchyroll.

That's why I mentioned the freely available streaming content as a starter for possible deals.

For retro anime, the bigger companies aren't going to make very high bids if SEGA wants to purchase it for either refurbishing with video games or to stream it themselves with Sony in the pocket on the deal.

(Which sounds ironic now that I think about how Sony already has an anime platform of their own called Funimation.)

So if Sony doesn't want old retro anime back, then SEGA would have to invest on their own with their own streaming service.

Which brings us right back to the expense problem.

@MasterDarkwingz said in Differences between NGS Global and JP:

But, there is a whole lot of content that SEGA had fingers in the cookie jar for.

Yep. Definitely won't be everything that could be affected by this. Properties that Sega own in the first place, they would hopefully be mindful enough to license with terms that allow them to retain or at least ease the ability to use the property globally for cross-series promotional purposes.

This is mostly about anime, games and so on that are created by one non-Sega company in Japan and then licensed to another non-Sega company for American/global distribution. (And it'd presumably be more complicated still if it's just American, because then there's the potential for a fourth party to separately license it for distribution in another region PSO2 Global services and Sega would need to deal with them too).

@Miraglyth said in Differences between NGS Global and JP:

@MasterDarkwingz said in Differences between NGS Global and JP:

Yep. Definitely won't be everything that could be affected by this. Properties that Sega own in the first place, they would hopefully be mindful enough to license with terms that allow them to retain or at least ease the ability to use the property globally for cross-series promotional purposes.

This is mostly about anime, games and so on that are created by one non-Sega company in Japan and then licensed to another non-Sega company for American/global distribution. (And it'd presumably be more complicated still if it's just American, because then there's the potential for a fourth party to separately license it for distribution in another region PSO2 Global services and Sega would need to deal with them too).

Yup. This is why buying up your copyright in all countries is more or less pushed by anyone who's been in business.

(To the misfortune of Japan's rising awareness of the American market copyright hellscape.)

The headache of finding any anime franchise SEGA would work with involves checking their list of collaborative videogames.

If you can track it to Sony/Microsoft which are PSO2's platforms, then the next question is how deep this friendship goes.

So that list of popular modern anime is fairly small in terms of Global copyrights.

Retro just seemed like less of a hassle to me, depending on the company who purchased it for free/paid streaming and their limits.

Whoever owns the streaming service also owns a chunk of the distribution rights, which is where the hellscape turns into a hell hole of chaos.

So a small list of possibilities below based on the criteria of a business relationshop standpoint:

• Steins; Gate would be a mediocre attempt to turn a profit for the effort. (In my opinion.)

A possible Global collab, but not very lucrative after so many years after initial release.

• Toriko might be as long running as One Piece, but isn't too well known in the Global anime nerdom for SEGA to risk much.

It would probably be better utilized in a Yakuza game event.

Or it could be a multi collab in PSO2 NGS using the large open world for gathering materials for event exclusive weapon camos and foods.

• Sailor Moon is going to be rather tough for an event theme. Would probably either be free or an AC Scratch.

• Sgt. Frog is still streaming on Funimation last I checked, so it is plausible for the JP event to cross over to Global.

• Noragami suits PSO2 in battle theme, but I don't know much about Bones Inc.

Funimation probably doesn't have much rights left for that anime on a Global scale given the age of the property.

If Sony doesn't have much of a say in Bones Inc property, then the second to least Global could get is free event grants.

• Heavy hitters such as Fairy Tail and One Piece are very strongly gate kept by companies.

It's an unlikely possibility for Global if SEGA never had a hand in the videogame versions of the anime.

• I am curious as to what SEGA will do next with Dinosaur King.

It's probably on a franchise retirement list due to facts of science changing all the time.

(Plus there's Jurassic Park as a more popular competitor.)

• Akira is an anime copyright enigma. Anywhere from JP Only to the copyright owner giving a "lol, no."

It was on the NES- a Nintendo property. SEGA of JP works with Nintendo for PSO2 and NGS.

• Dragonball? Yeah, no way that Bandai isn't going to milk SEGA for juicy money or a share of publishing deals.

Global hyper meter is over nine thousand, but the likelihood for NGS might not be so high this early on in release.

I don’t buy that expense is the reason global wouldn’t have collabs. I think people tend to forget SEGA is a multi billion dollar company so money clearly isn’t the issue. They could in fact give us everything that Japan would have in future but I don’t think they will because of the paperwork involved would likely just be annoying for them (but not impossible).

@NotWhoUThink Well, expenses probably aren't the only reason why they wouldn't release items on the global version. Profits likely are the other main factor.

If we take, for example, a collab with the anime Fumetsu no Anata E, the Japanese player base is more likely to have enough interested users to warrant having the collab in the first place.

If we look over to the global players, though, it's likely that the majority haven't even heard of it, and from those people, not everyone would be interested in the outfits or other items in the collab, so getting the rights to the anime for that would probably just result in wasted money. And if there's something companies hate, it's losing money.

@NotWhoUThink said in Differences between NGS Global and JP:

I don’t buy that expense is the reason global wouldn’t have collabs [snip] They could in fact give us everything that Japan would have in future

What we're saying is, if PSO2:NGS JP sets up a collaboration with a series that is licensed by a third party outside of Japan, that third party has been given the power to simply say "No." no matter how much money they're offered to run the collaboration on PSO2:NGS Global too. If they do that, there's nothing Sega can do.

This is oversimplifying things of course. For starters licenses are probably limited (they might for instance include broadcast and DVD/Blu-Ray sales but not merchandising or sublicensing) and for seconds it's less likely the third party would just say no and more likely they might be too demanding on the terms of a collaboration than Sega would be willing to agree on.

Well with NGS I'm sure(hoping really) that we share all the same collabs as JP version of the game.

I am expecting specific events that tailor to each version based on their cultures though.

@Zeke said in Differences between NGS Global and JP:

Well with NGS I'm sure(hoping really) that we share all the same collabs as JP version of the game.

I am expecting specific events that tailor to each version based on their cultures though.

Ok but why would SEGA need to though? Unless their hand is forced I don’t see us getting most of the same collabs as JP. And tailoring events to each culture is like asking for the moon at that point. They are a Japanese company with solely Japanese interests in mind, not global interests.

@NotWhoUThink said in Differences between NGS Global and JP:

@Zeke said in Differences between NGS Global and JP:

Ok but why would SEGA need to though? Unless their hand is forced I don’t see us getting most of the same collabs as JP. And tailoring events to each culture is like asking for the moon at that point. They are a Japanese company with solely Japanese interests in mind, not global interests.

Didn’t we get the Independence Day event last year, that was exclusive to global, with new outfits and accessories?

@TEN-SQUARE-3 The Japanese version at some point got the Global verssion's cosmetics in a future scratch around Christmas/Thanksgiving and that ended up having not only the event costumes we got but also additional color variations that we did not get until much later as Fresh Find Shop items (though I do not believe we got them all).

However, I do not believe the Steam, Epic Game Store, and Xbox-related cosmetics are available on the Japanese side.

@VanillaLucia said in Differences between NGS Global and JP:

@TEN-SQUARE-3 The Japanese version at some point got the Global verssion's cosmetics in a future scratch around Christmas/Thanksgiving and that ended up having not only the event costumes we got but also additional color variations that we did not get until much later as Fresh Find Shop items (though I do not believe we got them all).

However, I do not believe the Steam, Epic Game Store, and Xbox-related cosmetics are available on the Japanese side.

Ah I see, thanks for the Info