How would you guys feel about an economy insurance/item tracker?

I'd like to propose an idea where just in case things in NGS start to become like PSO2 in regards to the pricing of items, there can be a failsafe where there'll be more control rather than the absurd prices of things in PSO2. That being an item tracker/economic insurance Discord that keeps track of items at their lowest prices/highest prices and fairly prices things based on those things, rather than just "higher and higher and higher".

There is obviously a lot to consider here, but I want to propose this idea to anyone interested in participating for the future of NGS before things go crazy like they did in PSO2 where items ended up being upwards to 80 million and 200 million for some basewears, outerwears, etc.

Then it wouldn't be a player market. It'd be a Sega market with little player interaction. Removing the free market means taking control away from the players market wise. I'd rather not have that.

@Zeke It would still be a player market, however, it's intended to serve as a backup where items are safe from price hiking and to help players who have limited time to play the game (i.e the average worker) able to obtain cosmetic items at fair prices. The issue with PSO2 was cradle and how it began to justify some of the exorbitant prices that came before and after it.

The thing about player markets in an MMO setting.

1. The items are only worth what a player is willing to pay for them. If someone prices an item at 200mil and it sits, chances are the prices will fall slowly over time until someone finally decides it's worth what it's being sold for. 1.5. As a follow up point to this, a lot of people are just impatient and are also willing to pay higher for items. My opinion of course.
  2. A lot of these items are bought with real money, and later sold. (or bought with the purpose of being sold.) From what is essentially a gacha system and the items become rare and unobtainable otherwise. Thus, supply and demand dictates that if something is in high demand, the value of that item goes up. And if it can't be easily obtained. The value of that item goes up. Which also coincides with point 1.
  3. Lastly, RMT. The fact that some people actually spend real money to obtain meseta inflates the market when someone can just spend real world money to obtain the meseta to make these high prices sustainable. 3.5. Would also like to add in that Sega has been throwing a lot of events that make obtaining meseta easy too. The daily gift box campaign for example that is currently going on/was just going on. (Not sure if it's still up or not since i completed it) ended up giving quite a handful of bonus quest Gold and rainbow tickets. The rainbow tickets themselves net 2mil, give or take, per completion. Which doesn't help inflation when the means for the average player to obtain large amounts of meseta are so readily accessible.

Personally, I would not want to be stripped of the ability to determine the value of an item. But as a fellow working class member of society, the struggles to obtain 200 mil meseta for that perfect weapon camo is daunting, to say the least. To some degree I think its fine for people to charge high on real money items. But I don't think items obtainable in game should ever hit that same threshhold.

@FoolsArcana I appreciate this reply, thank you for your input. I'd appreciate seeing more like this since again: there's so much to consider with this idea, so all this input sort of helps.

I see what you are trying to get at though. A player based market watch. Those exist already for the most part. It's especially prevalent in FF14 where the crafting/gathering community really do a lot of maintaining on the market boards. Especially once they opened up world travel. Glamour (Fashion) items sold on servers more dedicated to end game content were relatively cheaper than servers with high levels of RP based players. For example. Undercutters can usually be bought out to appease their quick sale mentality and sold at the same price as everything else when its a hot item to maintain a certain level.

This was also seen at the release of Global when reaching level 10 I think it was(might have been 20 or 25.) I don't recall at this moment. But you recieved a box of 50 mini foods for each damage type for your mag. So most people made alt charas, leveled them to reach this point. Then used what they needed and sold the rest. The prices were all over for a while but I think eventually a large amount of players rallied each other into maintaining the price on them around the 23k mark. Doing the same thing as above.

It will adjust itself, but hopefully we don't see the meseta inflation in NGS

@FoolsArcana said in How would you guys feel about an economy insurance/item tracker?:

I see what you are trying to get at though. A player based market watch. Those exist already for the most part. It's especially prevalent in FF14 where the crafting/gathering community really do a lot of maintaining on the market boards. Especially once they opened up world travel. Glamour (Fashion) items sold on servers more dedicated to end game content were relatively cheaper than servers with high levels of RP based players. For example. Undercutters can usually be bought out to appease their quick sale mentality and sold at the same price as everything else when its a hot item to maintain a certain level.

This was also seen at the release of Global when reaching level 10 I think it was(might have been 20 or 25.) I don't recall at this moment. But you recieved a box of 50 mini foods for each damage type for your mag. So most people made alt charas, leveled them to reach this point. Then used what they needed and sold the rest. The prices were all over for a while but I think eventually a large amount of players rallied each other into maintaining the price on them around the 23k mark. Doing the same thing as above.

It will adjust itself, but hopefully we don't see the meseta inflation in NGS

I hope there won't be meseta inflation either, but yes that's exactly my idea is a player-based market watch system. I already plan to make a monthly spreadsheet that will be updated to reflect price changes over time.

Inflation happens with three things:

1st something causing max influx of in-game cash. Cradle would be the example of this.

2nd high demand item on low pop server. This allows for a market mafia so to speak. Easy for some players to completely control the market.

3rd when a lot of people want a specific item. This will cause massive inflation in price due to supply and demand.

With the exception of the 1st example anything inflation wise is a player cause issue. Why regulate something we do to ourselves? When an outside source controls what we put for pricing that isn't a free market like many MMOs, including PSO2, advertise for their game. If people can't afford an item they want then save up for it. If they refuse then that's their problem and not the community as a whole.

@Zeke I said that the idea is intended to cater towards people with limited time on the game, where they can't afford to spend time repeatedly grinding meseta every chance they get to actually play the game. The idea is intended to combat inflation and serve its purpose as a "fair market" that still grants shop freedom to those willing to participate given they don't price items painstakingly high. This idea is intended for NGS, not so much PSO2 classic. Combined with this will be a community-maintained item price watch so people know all the value needed to review an item's worth and demand. The only people this hurts at most are scalpers. I personally don't see a problem with it considering this is just a fallback/safety net in case things get too crazy.

@Eye-ce said in How would you guys feel about an economy insurance/item tracker?:

@Zeke I said that the idea is intended to cater towards people with limited time on the game, where they can't afford to spend time repeatedly grinding meseta every chance they get to actually play the game. The idea is intended to combat inflation and serve its purpose as a "fair market" that still grants shop freedom to those willing to participate given they don't price items painstakingly high. This idea is intended for NGS, not so much PSO2 classic. Combined with this will be a community-maintained item price watch so people know all the value needed to review an item's worth and demand. The only people this hurts at most are scalpers. I personally don't see a problem with it considering this is just a fallback/safety net in case things get too crazy.

I feel like you're using the "Worker class" argument as a defense here when that's further from the truth, I for example can work up to 60 hours a week depending on if there's a lot of work to be done and I still manage to fit time for focused statics and such, the excuse that some people make about "Not being able to, don't have the time" is simply not true (If you're busy with school too and a job just focus on those instead of a game) , You're not gonna be able to moderate the market because as long as people who'd rather take the easy way out and swipe to get cash and pay for highly priced items scalpers and monopolies will exist in the game, things only got crazy because of cradle but at the same time you just need to cradle to get meseta, for weeks there were people constantly putting up triggers and the rooms would fill in no time.

This strategy you got planned does not hurt scalpers at all ,because lazy people who don't even try to farm and just swipe will always exist.

Prices will always rise long term as more and more meseta enters the system, and as the supply of items ends with the scratches. What they should do is curb short term spikes and market control by combating bots etc.

I also like the idea of revival scratches, but this may be tough for content that isn't owned by SEGA. They would have to negotiate for that during the initial licensed scratch, or renegotiate when they want to do a revival.

@Eye-ce said in How would you guys feel about an economy insurance/item tracker?:

They don't care about people who have less time to play the game. You reward those that play a bunch over the casual. There is always real money spending to get items you want which is the goal of AC Scratch anyway. You will have 3 months before inflation starts adding up because hardcore players will have gear leveled up and amassing meseta for the next level cap/new gear.

I mean I'm dropping around $200 on launch on AC Scratch just to hold it til the prices are insane. Once you amass enough meseta you can start to control item market and keep yourself towards the top. It's just smart business.

Just remember when it usually comes to scratches there is FOMO. So once you miss out on those items they become more rare over time.