I appreciate Sega's attempts to be more inclusive in New Genesis, but for some of us, the new gender choices can be a bit upsetting.

Hello there, I got by Emilia Harmony in PSO2, and I'm really excited to play PSO2:NGS! I'm also really glad that Sega is trying to be more inclusive with the ability to have non-binary and other gendered characters, because this sort of thing really means a lot to trans people and other people of marginalized groups. But... I feel like perhaps you haven't taken the best route to achieving this, and for some of us like myself, some of these changes can be quite upsetting.

I am a transwoman (she/her) and I take a lot of pride in my identity as the woman that I know that I am, and have always been, despite the fact that I was assigned the incorrect gender at birth. When I play games, I like playing as female characters, because that is what I personally identify as. Games like PSO2 have helped me express myself in ways that I cannot always do in real life, and as sappy as it might sound, PSO2 has made me feel truly beautiful by being able to roleplay as the cute female characters that I have designed.

But recently, with the release of PSO2 NGS's character creator, I've noticed a little change that you've made to character creation. It seems you have taken away the terms male and female from character creation and replaced them with Type 1 and "Type 2. On one hand, this is a big win for people who identify as neither male nor female, and this is made even better by the fact that you can change between the two body styles at any time just by putting on a different outfit.

However... is this not a case of erasing women? By being referred to as a Type 2, you are essentially denying MY gender identity, and the gender identities of many other women and transwomen. Not to mention that this is also a case of making gender a binary, when you have the tools to completely eliminate the concept of gender in character creation all together. What about people who identify as non-binary? There are countless genders, so by relegating us to only Type 1 and Type 2, you are effectively erasing everyone out there who identifies as a particular gender.

I propose a very simple change: Instead of listing your character in game as either Type 1 or Type 2, every player can input their own gender identity, which will display when you examine their character! That way I can have my characters identify as female, and everyone else can identify as whichever gender they please! It's a win-win for everybody! 🙂

I mean I get it, I know why you changed the genders to Types. It was so you could be more inclusive and stand in solidarity with those of us who are marginalized... I just don't think that this was the right way to do it. Your heart was in the right place, but you just didn't stick the landing, is all I'm saying. Plus... I don't think many type identify as "Type" as their gender, so I think it would be best to at the very least make the character creation options Male, Female and Non-Binary, and then after that you can change them as you desire in the salon. Of course, again, the absolute best course of action would be like I said to simply let each player display their own personally chosen gender in their character info.

I really hope that you all at Sega take this message to heart and do better for those of us who need proper representation in games. As I said, it can be very triggering for some, including myself, to look at our characters and have it say "You're not a female, you're a Type 2". It really does upset me, and like I said I know you had your heart in the right place... but you really need to do better.

@Emilia-Harmony said in I appreciate Sega's attempts to be more inclusive in New Genesis, but for some of us, the new gender choices can be a bit upsetting.:

However... is this not a case of erasing women? By being referred to as a Type 2, you are essentially denying MY gender identity, and the gender identities of many other women and transwomen. Not to mention that this is also a case of making gender a binary, when you have the tools to completely eliminate the concept of gender in character creation all together.

I believe they have no intention of ostracizing women or transwomen. It's not ostracizing a group when everyone is subjected to the same treatment. Males are also called Type 1. While nowadays, gender is not a binary and you can identify yourself on whatever spectrum you like, this is a fictional game. SEGA is not trying to hurt any real life people who feel the same as yiu.

The reason why they have this Type 1 and Type 2 system is to give base setups for people when customizing their character. For example, it was extremely convenient for me during CBT to choose Type 2, since I like playing as females, randomize some random characteristics and start playing the game. I didnt want to spend time on meticuously making a character for it to be wiped. Having the Type 2 option allowed me to choose and go. What you seem to want is to remove Type 1 and Type 2, and make people start from scratch. I dont think thats good for people who doesnt like spenidng time on customizing charcaters and wants an easy and streamlined process to make a character thats pleasing to them.

What about people who identify as non-binary? There are countless genders, so by relegating us to only Type 1 and Type 2, you are effectively erasing everyone out there who identifies as a particular gender.

If they want to play the game, they will just have to put away their qualms and choose a type. And if they do not want to regard themselves as either male or female in game, Rappy is always an option. Also CASTS too.

I propose a very simple change: Instead of listing your character in game as either Type 1 or Type 2, every player can input their own gender identity, which will display when you examine their character! That way I can have my characters identify as female, and everyone else can identify as whichever gender they please! It's a win-win for everybody! 🙂

It isnt, if Im imagining this right. It seems like a hassle for something that wont make any change. Even if there is a non binary option, if they choose human newman or deuman, they will look either male or female or androgynous in game. Just like in real life.

I really hope that you all at Sega take this message to heart and do better for those of us who need proper representation in games. As I said, it can be very triggering for some, including myself, to look at our characters and have it say "You're not a female, you're a Type 2". It really does upset me, and like I said I know you had your heart in the right place... but you really need to do better.

I'm going to feel real dumb if all of this was bait.

@Carerx said in I appreciate Sega's attempts to be more inclusive in New Genesis, but for some of us, the new gender choices can be a bit upsetting.:

I'm going to feel real dumb if all of this was bait.

Look at their post history and decide for yourself. Don't feel too bad about it anyway, if it wasn't for being from this account I (and probably most others) wouldn't even have considered this to be be bait. It's a fairly reasonable post on it's own.

I gonna point out the obvious reason why Sega did this, is to sell more cosmetics. Is not to be more inclusive or anything like that is just to make money because in the target demographic of PSO2 there are people who enjoys traps and stuff related to that.

@Jamesmor said in I appreciate Sega's attempts to be more inclusive in New Genesis, but for some of us, the new gender choices can be a bit upsetting.:

I gonna point out the obvious reason why Sega did this, is to sell more cosmetics.

We should probably be glad it didn't hit them that if they unified everything they could sell emotes individually instead of in pairs.

While I haven't played ngs, I am a fan of the type system. Body shape, gender expression, and sexual orientation don't define gender identity. Gender identity is a more personal thing though, so I don't think we want to display it, as that invites harassment, it is shared with people that you are starting to trust.

In real life gender identity it generally something you do as part of your introduction, so...

"Hello, my name is Protagonist, I prefer they, them pronouns. "

Regardless of what their intention was this change will ultimately only serve to confuse new players as it's rather unintuitive and only really fits (at least from a thematical point of view) if you're playing a cast.

Heck, they've already stealthed it into OG PSO2. When you select an emote in Lookbook, it is now Type-1/Type-2 instead of Male/Female.

I mean having Type-1 and Type-2 for emotes definitely makes more sense, especially when it is an emote for a character which would make both versions fit only one gender.

Not really a complaint, I'd just noticed this thread and spotted the change.

I was ticked off by the change before it was officially made because in any rpg it's important to know the gender of a humanoid character whether it's a pc or an npc the only exceptions being the nameks and frieza race in the dbx games since they are gender neutral, classifying the genders as type 1 and type 2 instead of male and female is just plain stupid so I have to say BAD MOVE SEGA you should've left well enough alone because the old gender identification was PERFECT and you don't mess with PERFECTION

I think this is one of the dumbest things ive read on this forum

The way I see it, the Type 1 and Type 2 system is just to refer to the different body types and isn't implying any sort of gender at all. Sure, it would be ideal if SEGA didn't have to do this, and could instead just have one body type that could be customized to look however someone wants, that could wear anything. but NGS also has to be compatible with the original PSO2.

I'm appreciative of SEGA doing what they could, as they certainly didn't have to make any changes like this.

We should have 64 genders in NGS. This is unacceptable sega!

@Emilia-Harmony So you still aren't happy? You never will be until you get the game to be exactly the way you want it to be based on this post, when combined with you other post. You don't need to have the game call you female, you can literally identify as that as your choice in game. Role playing games are literally designed around player choice and freedom. You'd understand that if you were choosing to focus on role playing your characters your way, instead of trying to force a specified dynamic. You don't need to have it written down somewhere. I know I sure don't. The type system makes it no different than choosing my shape, because that's literally all it's for. Players can make an educated guess on your characters design, or you can tell them what your character is. I have both male and female characters, but I don't need the character creation system to tell me that. That all said, on an unrelated note, I see your icon is your NGS character. I like the two tone choice for the hair color. Reminds me of water frozen into ice as it gets lighter.