Concerned with the lack of content on Launch

Based on Prologue 4 and the fact that this game comes out in less then a few weeks / under a month, it seems really concerning the lack of BASE game content - a lot is being sold in scratch out of the gate which is a shame.

From the character creator:

• 10 total "default" hairstyles, less if you don't count the CAST stuff.
  • 4 default outfits, 2 male 2 female
  • 7 NGS accessories

From indication on CBT and Prologue 4

• Aelio region only. No tundra, desert, or other environments at all until WINTER
  • Aelio region already feels small - only 4 more regions being released compared to the ones we had in CBT. This in the grand scheme won't feel like a lot.
  • Level cap 20
  • ZERO signs of Wind, Dark, and Light techniques makes it feel like it won't be available on release

There is a lot more I can harp on, but honestly it feels like we can max out the content in a weekend based on what we saw. It's a bit concerning for the launch of NGS which is a shame - it will only go up from here but I can't help but feel a bit underwhelmed.

Not only that but the RESELLING of existing outfits which should be given for free is a complete slap in the face.

You make a very good point regarding the just buy it again mentality Sega is embracing. It is one reason why I'm not bouncing off the walls with excitement for NGS. As a company, I know they need to make money, and I'm not asking for conversions of everything for free, but push it too far and your whales and dolphins will walk away, especially the ones on global. Sega should be very careful with how they proceed with the monetization for their new product.

You can still use all the accessories and clothes you got in PSO2. They may not have fingers or be as high resolution as the new stuff, but it's still there.

PSO2 global players were really spoiled by how quickly content came out. Over the course of one year, you got the same amount of content it took JP PSO2 about 8-9 years to get. So basically what I'm saying is, get used to having a major update only like 3-4 times a year. Or don't, and play something else.

@Ilúvatar i played in japan on and off since 2013 until global...

Then you should know what to expect. NGS has significantly more content at launch than PSO2 did.

@Ilúvatar said in Concerned with the lack of content on Launch:

Then you should know what to expect. NGS has significantly more content at launch than PSO2 did.

Cosmetic-wise, you can see a side-by-side of default cosmetics for base pso2 and NGS launch...they stripped down NGS default items tremendously, it's not even close.

And this isn't excusing base PSO2 launch either - launching this barebones is inexcusable.

Well, we'll have to see what is actually in at launch. I believe there is at least one more male and female clothing option and Cast parts, as well as possibly some more default accessories.

The Gear Score / new itemization systems will decide the longevity of the level 20 cap i guess.

I think its total BS that every current cosmetic wasn't updated and usable with the new bodies.

@Ki-Rin said in Concerned with the lack of content on Launch:

I think its total BS that every current cosmetic wasn't updated and usable with the new bodies.

Considering how much work the new models require it doesn't surprise me. They're doing a survey on what old costumes should be made again for NGS. Should take it if you want specific costumes upgraded.

How did people ever expect Sega to update the massive amount of PSO2 outfits with the new models in mind, which have somewhat different anatomy, and do it for FREE?

@Hooonter said in Concerned with the lack of content on Launch:

How did people ever expect Sega to update the massive amount of PSO2 outfits with the new models in mind, which have somewhat different anatomy, and do it for FREE?

This. As someone who's been an animator for free to play games, having new meshes with additional features can't simply be applied to really old rigs. Do people really think 8 years ago Sega knew to prepare for assets at this fidelity? They probably had no idea they would even pull an NGS.

It seems a lot of consumers think there is a giant "upgrade" button, no one actually has to crank out all this crap. That models with new topology just extrudes itself, somehow creates resolution out if thin air, and all of the painted weights simply work without a verticy out of place. Once you've worked in the industry it can be tiring to hear how insurmountable some of the demands can be.

Everyone was already very aware of NGS not launching with a lot of playable content. No one was expecting much so idk why you were. Far as selling cosmetics goes it's also not a big deal either. If NGS wasn't coming and we were getting EP7 for base pso2 we'd likely get not only the same amount of content but also the continued selling of scratches. I don't see why it's suddenly a big deal because it's NGS.

And yeah, it kinda sucks that we have to re-buy stuff we own in base. At the same time they're not just porting the cosmetics over. All clothing items including outfits have been re-drawn. This is very apparent just comparing the different versions of the same clothing item. re-released hair in NGS has new options to tweak. Re-released accessories is the same situation on top of having better control over placement via the sliders.

So while it's not brand new cosmetics it's not like they're just cheap ports being flipped to make a quick buck. A slap in the face would be locking animation customization to NGS models only. It would be not letting us carry any of our cosmetics over at all. It would be forcing us to use default cosmetics in pso2 cutscenes. It would be forcing us to start from scratch with our character's looks as well as gear.

But NGS has actually mostly respected the investment of players of base pso2. While I can understand some of the feelings behind the thread I can't get behind the negative tone it's pushing.

Just FYI, base PSO2 did not launch with Wind/Dark techs and only had 2 Light techs (or three) They did not release until Fi/Gu/Te were released alone since the new content like tundra level cap and such.

@Knight-Raime

@Knight-Raime said in Concerned with the lack of content on Launch:

Everyone was already very aware of NGS not launching with a lot of playable content. No one was expecting much so idk why you were. Far as selling cosmetics goes it's also not a big deal either. If NGS wasn't coming and we were getting EP7 for base pso2 we'd likely get not only the same amount of content but also the continued selling of scratches. I don't see why it's suddenly a big deal because it's NGS.

And yeah, it kinda sucks that we have to re-buy stuff we own in base. At the same time they're not just porting the cosmetics over. All clothing items including outfits have been re-drawn. This is very apparent just comparing the different versions of the same clothing item. re-released hair in NGS has new options to tweak. Re-released accessories is the same situation on top of having better control over placement via the sliders.

So while it's not brand new cosmetics it's not like they're just cheap ports being flipped to make a quick buck. A slap in the face would be locking animation customization to NGS models only. It would be not letting us carry any of our cosmetics over at all. It would be forcing us to use default cosmetics in pso2 cutscenes. It would be forcing us to start from scratch with our character's looks as well as gear.

But NGS has actually mostly respected the investment of players of base pso2. While I can understand some of the feelings behind the thread I can't get behind the negative tone it's pushing.

There are better ways around it:

1: Already own the outfit? Spend 200 AC for the upgrade, no need to gamble for it with a loot box. 2: Base PSO2 lack of content and NGS are both inexcusable - all games need to have a good amount of content at launch. I'm tired of this trend of releasing a game that's clearly "early access" tier and just "fixing it after launch".

It's not a negative tone - it's valid criticism of game development as a whole .