Which is better....leap dodge or party toughness? For Hunter?

Which is the better ring and why?

I prefer to use "Hunter Focus Preservation" personally. Many hunter weapons benefit from having as much focus as possible and running that ring will ensure you almost always have focus to use.

I would argue that HU has enough durability from Automate and Iron Will that Party Toughness isn't very useful. Sword lets you guard/perfect guard for even more durability. Leaping dodge simply sends you straight up into the air, which doesn't seem very useful to me.

I would personally only recommend Leaping Dodge if you had a means to stay airborne such as if you were playing Fighter, Ranger, Gunner, Hero, Phantom, Etoile, or Luster. In the case of the Hero and the Ranger you can use it to jump out of range of certain attacks like Omega Masquerade's field-clearing attack and use it to suspend yourself in the air to shoot away safely or use it for classes like the Luster and Gunner to propel yourself into the air to start attacking freely.

I don't quite know what you would do with those rings on a Hunter, but I would definitely recommend Hunter Focus Preservation and the Hunter's counter-attack rings if not items like Quick Mate/Atomizer Lovers for reviving/healing purposes.

Why would you use Mate/Atomizer Lovers on Hunter/ phantom? Those would be useless I would think.

@Xaelon said in Which is better....leap dodge or party toughness? For Hunter?:

I prefer to use "Hunter Focus Preservation" personally. Many hunter weapons benefit from having as much focus as possible and running that ring will ensure you almost always have focus to use.

I would argue that HU has enough durability from Automate and Iron Will that Party Toughness isn't very useful. Sword lets you guard/perfect guard for even more durability. Leaping dodge simply sends you straight up into the air, which doesn't seem very useful to me.

I use fury stance never guard stance........on my Hunter/phantom.

Outside of your class specific rings, atom lovers should really be your first choice ring for everyone unless you never do party content. It reduces your animation on using moons and star atoms, increases how much health someone revives with, when you use a moon on them, and gives you a second of iframes when you use one. Mate lovers you don’t really need on hunter cause you have automate anyway.

For hunter main class you want to be using guard stance, instead of fury stance it actually gives higher damage and better defence

@TEN-SQUARE-3 said in Which is better....leap dodge or party toughness? For Hunter?:

For hunter main class you want to be using guard stance, instead of fury stance it actually gives higher damage and better defence

It should be noted that the higher damage mentioned here comes from performing perfect blocks. Making it a harder playstyle than Fury Stance's always on damage.

@TEN-SQUARE-3 said in Which is better....leap dodge or party toughness? For Hunter?:

It should be noted that the higher damage mentioned here comes from performing perfect blocks. Making it a harder playstyle than Fury Stance's always on damage.

But doesn’t that depend on the frequency of the damage out? Guard stance depends on the enemies attacks. Always waiting to see what happens other than making it happen.

Using your sword as a shield just doesn’t sit right with me........Never seen anyone throw themselves on the Knife.

@VanillaLucia said in Which is better....leap dodge or party toughness? For Hunter?:

I would personally only recommend Leaping Dodge if you had a means to stay airborne such as if you were playing Fighter, Ranger, Gunner, Hero, Phantom, Etoile, or Luster. In the case of the Hero and the Ranger you can use it to jump out of range of certain attacks like Omega Masquerade's field-clearing attack and use it to suspend yourself in the air to shoot away safely or use it for classes like the Luster and Gunner to propel yourself into the air to start attacking freely.

I don't quite know what you would do with those rings on a Hunter, but I would definitely recommend Hunter Focus Preservation and the Hunter's counter-attack rings if not items like Quick Mate/Atomizer Lovers for reviving/healing purposes.

So what would be the best three ring set-up for Hunter Phantom?

@RainGnyu said in Which is better....leap dodge or party toughness? For Hunter?:

But doesn’t that depend on the frequency of the damage out? Guard stance depends on the enemies attacks. Always waiting to see what happens other than making it happen.

The skill that gives Guard Stance all of it's damage is called "Advanced Guard Stance". Essentally, if you perfect block you get a 150% Potency bonus to all attacks for 20 to 40 seconds depending on the level of the skill in question.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that "advanced guard stance" only works with guard stance active. The way I worded it above implies that it could be used with fury stance active, which is incorrect.

@RainGnyu said in Which is better....leap dodge or party toughness? For Hunter?:

The skill that gives Guard Stance all of it's damage is called "Advanced Guard Stance". Essentally, if you perfect block you get a 150% Potency bonus to all attacks for 20 to 40 seconds depending on the level of the skill in question.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that "advanced guard stance" only works with guard stance active. The way I worded it above implies that it could be used with fury stance active, which is incorrect.

Don’t you have to block first ........which in itself takes a level of skill. So while you are trying to land that perfect block, I have double maybe triple that damage you trying to achieve in that 20-40 sec if you don’t get stun or knock down. right or wrong?

Don’t you have to block first ........which in itself takes a level of skill. So while you are trying to land that perfect block, I have double maybe triple that damage you trying to achieve in that 20-40 sec if you don’t get stun or knock down. right or wrong?

As I said earlier:

So yes, you must activate the buff by perfect blocking. That said, there's no shortage of attacks to block against any of the bosses in the game, so it's less of a question of finding an attack to block, and more about having the knowledge to perfect block enough attacks to maintain 100% uptime on your damage buff. Which, may or may not be doable, depending on your skill level.

I don't know what the real DPS difference is between fury and guard stance, I just prefer fury because I don't want to be 100% reliant on perfect blocks.

Maybe @TEN-SQUARE-3 could elaborate on how much damage Guard Stance gains over Fury (assuming the player can maintain 100% buff uptime)?

As I said earlier:

So yes, you must activate the buff by perfect blocking. That said, there's no shortage of attacks to block against any of the bosses in the game, so it's less of a question of finding an attack to block, and more about having the knowledge to perfect block enough attacks to maintain 100% uptime on your damage buff. Which, may or may not be doable, depending on your skill level.

I don't know what the real DPS difference is between fury and guard stance, I just prefer fury because I don't want to be 100% reliant on perfect blocks.

Maybe @TEN-SQUARE-3 could elaborate on how much damage Guard Stance gains over Fury (assuming the player can maintain 100% buff uptime)?

I’ll post this guide here for hunter, they do a really good break down of all the multipliers, the difference in damage is about 3.1%. It highly recommended guard stance, it lists 5 different builds, and only one of them has it for fury stance, which is the one for when you’re using fighter sub.

https://goo.gl/4A5XWY