Pulling the plug on PSO2?

I feel like half the individuals saying "it's to be expected" were also telling players who wanted to skip PSO2 until NGS released that "both games will exist side by side, cause SEGA said so!". The way the news launched and was then broken down for us was done so in a calculated way to keep the low-population global whales out-whaling the JP server until NGS came out.

If you revisit the timeline, we were playing Episode 3 when NGS news first dropped from Xbox. 10 months ago. After the shock of the community, they rushed to make it sound super sweet and awesome back heret. Since then, they dropped bread crumbs promoting the item compatibility of the game and re-emphasizing how you can easily hop back and forth between the two. It wasn't until a little while ago that they finally told us that our 15 star weapons and 13 star units (and their augments) were actually gonna be garbage, the PSO2 outfits/accessories will have limitations, and that they are gutting premium features they've spent this last year getting Global used to.

The problem isn't really them focusing on NGS, because that is to be expected. The problem is not being transparent for the sake of milking Global players of whom they are forcing to be a bad copy of the JP version now. Anything unique to Global is just about chopped at this point. The power to buy what you want from Fresh Finds cause you don't succumb to FOMO like some of these JP vets? Gone. Unique Event lobbies? (Independence Day, Turkey Day) gone. Mission Pass? Gone. Lucky for the JP migrants who have been trying to make Global a bad copy of JP for the last year. Only problem is that we missed out on all the stuff that made JP cool and just get the crummy auto-pilot stuff.

And those buffs to ARKs Missions and Rec rewards? Who are those even for? Cause a new player isn't gonna make it very far in this game without diving deep to find some vanilla PSO2 cultists who can assist with their progression (unless they announce new injections of RB/Unique Badges for players who potentially start after NGS). With how low the population will be, a new player could go ahead and pretend that the exchange shops upstairs don't exist.

I'm glad for NGS and am thrilled to play something that actually controls well and isn't outdated as hell, but people's concerns and gripes are extremely valid due to how the PSO2 team intentionally manipulated the information to keep us Global players funding their projects (which will benefit the JP servers more than ours).

@John-Paul-RAGE said in Pulling the plug on PSO2?:

I feel like half the individuals saying "it's to be expected" were also telling players who wanted to skip PSO2 until NGS released that "both games will exist side by side, cause SEGA said so!". The way the news launched and was then broken down for us was done so in a calculated way to keep the low-population global whales out-whaling the JP server until NGS came out.

If you revisit the timeline, we were playing Episode 3 when NGS news first dropped from Xbox. 10 months ago. After the shock of the community, they rushed to make it sound super sweet and awesome back heret. Since then, they dropped bread crumbs promoting the item compatibility of the game and re-emphasizing how you can easily hop back and forth between the two. It wasn't until a little while ago that they finally told us that our 15 star weapons and 13 star units (and their augments) were actually gonna be garbage, the PSO2 outfits/accessories will have limitations, and that they are gutting premium features they've spent this last year getting Global used to.

The problem isn't really them focusing on NGS, because that is to be expected. The problem is not being transparent for the sake of milking Global players of whom they are forcing to be a bad copy of the JP version now. Anything unique to Global is just about chopped at this point. The power to buy what you want from Fresh Finds cause you don't succumb to FOMO like some of these JP vets? Gone. Unique Event lobbies? (Independence Day, Turkey Day) gone. Mission Pass? Gone. Lucky for the JP migrants who have been trying to make Global a bad copy of JP for the last year. Only problem is that we missed out on all the stuff that made JP cool and just get the crummy auto-pilot stuff.

And those buffs to ARKs Missions and Rec rewards? Who are those even for? Cause a new player isn't gonna make it very far in this game without diving deep to find some vanilla PSO2 cultists who can assist with their progression (unless they announce new injections of RB/Unique Badges for players who potentially start after NGS). With how low the population will be, a new player could go ahead and pretend that the exchange shops upstairs don't exist.

I'm glad for NGS and am thrilled to play something that actually controls well and isn't outdated as hell, but people's concerns and gripes are extremely valid due to how the PSO2 team intentionally manipulated the information to keep us Global players funding their projects (which will benefit the JP servers more than ours).

The JP servers will have its own evils to contend with so these changes as established benefit nobody not even the JP server will be easy to play after all is said and done if nothing is changed up to support newer players.

@YagyuChan more referring to the profits they are/have been reaping from the Global audience. The removal of the Global unique event lobbies leads me to the opinion that JP will get their unique collabs in NGS and Global will probably just miss out on those rather than getting their own unique one in it's place.

@YagyuChan @Ezodagrom Indeed, there can be some similar measures, so I've added the PS4 related part to my previous post. Thank you!

@John-Paul-RAGE said in Pulling the plug on PSO2?:

I feel like half the individuals saying "it's to be expected" were also telling players who wanted to skip PSO2 until NGS released that "both games will exist side by side, cause SEGA said so!".

For starters they'd be correct - the games will exist side by side. But I remember many people saying that if someone wanted to leave until NGS and missed out on a bunch of campaign exclusives, that's their loss. The general sentiment of many in this topic is that PSO2 is getting the plug pulled but really the biggest loss is not the details mentioned in the announcement - some of which could have been made without NGS ever being a thing and people wouldn't think twice about it - but the likelihood that it's not going to get any more progression or campaigns. That was to be expected.

It wouldn't be at all impossible to incentivize playing PSO2 and NGS together by running campaigns that facilitate doing things on both sides, and aside from personal feelings on that, there's little downsides to doing so. I understand this is a bit of an unprecedented move for a game of this type, which is why it may seem so difficult for others to grasp, but I would say a lack of transparency is certainly not the issue here.

We may not have any and all details to be fully comfortable going forward just yet, but of the details we HAVE gotten, I'd say we still have yet to see anything to be concerned about - and while this is my opinion, it is one based on all the facts given thus far. And as a reminder, it's worth noting that - at least on Sega's end - sometimes it's not a matter of not saying something but a matter of not yet being allowed to say something. Because once something IS said in an official capacity, it's difficult (if not impossible) to take it back.

It's fine to have doubts or concerns. It's even fine if you personally choose to distrust Sega or any companies involved, but that doesn't change the fact that you're getting an entire new game - FOR FREE - that you neither have to stop playing PSO2 for, nor leave the character you've been playing all this time behind.

The sky is not falling. It's expanding, and you're getting better wings to fly with.

@Riesz said in Pulling the plug on PSO2?:

. They often worded that base pso2 would continue to receive updates with the release of NGS, and that the two games would co-exist.

Actually no, they never said anything of the sort. When NGS was announced, these were the only two mentions made towards PSO2 -

"You can continue to enjoy the original PSO2 even after PSO2: NGS has been released. Accounts that have been playing PSO2 will be able to hop between PSO2: NGS and PSO2. However, because the game system is vastly different, we would like to explain what exactly is changing with PSO2: NGS below."

and

"We want to express our heartfelt appreciation for every single player who has taken up arms with ARKS in Phantasy Star Online 2. We have an exciting announcement concerning the future of PSO2 for all players, including active ARKS operatives and those who are currently on hiatus."

No where does that at all imply that PSO2 would be getting more updates. It just simply states the two games will coexist together. That's it, that's all she wrote. Anything else came from your own expectations and hopes. Sega has never once announced that PSO2 would be continuing to get any future updates other than the last few collabs we got between NGS' announcement and today, as well as the completion of Episode 6 and the final boss UQ (and Twisted with Hatred).

Sorry, but there's the facts. I'll admit the removal of scheduled UQ's did come as a surprise, but it w as also somewhat expected, the same with the mission pass and anything that wouldn't require automation for PSO2. At this point, if you were getting your hopes up that PSO2 would still regularly be updated with some form of new content, and not put into maintenance mode, that's kind of on you, not Sega.

@John-Paul-RAGE

Since when is intentional manipulation about doing the perfectly logical things you could already deduce from the marketing slogans. I refuse to believe anyone intelligent could consider that the gear carry over into NGS should or will invalidate NGS gear completely. There was even a disclaimer that gear characteristics will change in NGS. Reality has it that PSO2 gear will be in many ways useful in NGS as fall back when ore runs out so I don't understand complaints there anyway. It's similar thing with how Sega avoided saying that they will be giving something like "full support", "equal dev time" or "continuous updates" for PSO2 base. Any reasonable reading into it will just assume maintenance or vastly reduced dev time for it, but certain people somehow are expecting the not so big PSO2 team to run two MMO roadmaps in parallel.

I swear had a bit more people like you had such unreasonable demands about how Sega should respect their virtual belongings we wouldn't even get NGS and would be stuck with slightly renewed PSO2 instead. All that sprinkled with some sort of complex about the JP server being favored even though they had to deal with not being able to save creation data for like a month+ due to Sega beta testing features that were already delayed on them.

@Hooonter weird, I haven't made any demands at all. Simply pointed at the things that have transpired over the last 10 months of the release up to this point, and why individuals may have paranoia, distrust, or see it as "pulling the plug" on vanilla PSO2. Favoritism towards the JP service isn't even speculation, it is a fact and will likely continue to be so in the future.

Any vet knows that global is just for milking players since start, it was very transparent

@LordCloudStrife said in Pulling the plug on PSO2?:

Any vet knows that global is just for milking players

Any live service game - moreover, any business ever - is just for making money from its customers.

@Riesz

PSO2 just becomes a complete product that's supposed to be playable without needing oversight or constant development. Mission pass ends because Sega won't be bothering to implement new mission passes and just wants to lock the game's state at most offering only automated periodic campaigns and events.

The funny thing is that nothing big happens to PSO2, but people either don't like playing PSO2 at all or are incredibly petty about their virtual stuff being not quite worth the sweat.

@John-Paul-RAGE

Stop justifying your paranoia and distrust with more paranoia and distrust. Pulling the plug is about the dumbest formulation of what's essentially Sega going all into keeping PSO2 service indefinitely up. All your expectations and demands were simply stupid and unrealistic, and while you're painting yourself as a victim your demands would inevitably hurt the enjoyment of an even greater amount of people.

Sega basically for once did a thing right and instead of continuing to reap short term benefits (also known as milking the game) in PSO2 as its player base slowly dwindles, it at some point made a long term investment by essentially pulling off a sequel. Stuff you can carry between the games is essentially a plus. PSO2 having indefinite life support instead of being unplugged after a year is essentially a plus.

All NA players seem to do is essentially paint the decision in bad light because the game was supported for like a year only before "ending", completely missing the point that NA still has those 10 years+ of content JP does and it's playable probably until NGS end of service. It's basically like getting a complete edition of a Monster Hunter game with G/Master rank and all DLC and complaining that there are no more updates after you bought the game and the developer is making a sequel instead.

I was always under the impression that they wouldn't really create new content, but more like they would just repurpose old stuff to make it "new" like how they've been doing with old UQ by giving them UH difficulty. I was also thinking there were still a few more UQ that needed to have UH, but in retrospect I think the only UQ worth doing that doesn't have one is Yamato. Luther doesn't need one because its Omegan form exists, and Mother and Deus don't need one because there's already a trigger for it (Mother Omnipotent, Creator/Shatterer). Magatsu doesn't have one either, but it already has an specific LQ which I really prefer over the old and clunky AIS battle.

The only thing that i would really love to have confirmation of is if we're still going to receive AC Scratches we haven't gotten before. I've been saving money specifically for "Melodic Ensemble" for a chance to get the Kaito and Meiko Replicas, alongside the Mikudayo suit. But the permanent Scratch is really killing my hopes of ever seeing it in Global....

@Meikoloid said in Pulling the plug on PSO2?:

Magatsu doesn't have one either, but it already has an specific LQ which I really prefer over the old and clunky AIS battle.

Sadly Space Magatsu being a LQ means once that ended we have no way to run it again. Even though I got the title for defeating Magatsu Choopga (that was the name of its space form!) 30 times, I'd like to see it return just for completeness' sake since it was a side story to Episode 6 Chapter 3 events.