Pulling the plug on PSO2?

@Riesz I felt like Sega was pretty transparent in that NGS was going to be the continuation of the PSO series, and that PSO2 wasn't going to receive any further updates.

I mean, even the story makes it very, very apparent that PSO2 is done.

@Anarchy-Marine It's already clear that people are playing less as NGS approaches, and many have said they won't bother with PSO2 if the UQ schedule goes away. It's not "disingenuous" to worry that this move to do away with a schedule will harm the game. It's only logical.

Again: right now even with scheduled UQs it's often hard to fill them. It seems weird and unecessary to take away a schedule. What benefit does that serve?

@Mjolnir

This is complete speculation, obviously, but Sega probably doesn't want to have to divert any more resources than needed to PSO2 when they can instead be focusing them on NGS. It's why the festivals are on a set routine now yearly going forward in PSO2, and it's why there's no more mission passes, or anything that would require the development team to manually update the game every few weeks to make adjustments to them.

Now, granted, Sega could do something like make a "Permanent" schedule of UQ's for PSO2, but we don't know if that's feasible to do on their end, or if it would still require them to take manpower and resources away from NGS to do so. Their aim seems to be to put PSO2 into a state of permanent automation, much like the original Guild Wars is right now, so that outside of needing to fix something if it breaks, they don't need to actually make any adjustments to the game during weekly server maintenance (which, given that NGS and PSO2 both exist on the same server mainframe, doesn't require them to specifically target PSO2 to maintain).

Basically - having a rotating UQ schedule would still require direct maintenance by the development team that Sega wants to shy away from, at least for now, to focus entirely on NGS. Obviously that might change, NGS might totally flop, and Sega might double back to PSO2 and instead create Episode 7 or something. I don't know, but right now, it's very clear that Sega's goal is to make PSO2 autonomous, and make NGS the focus for all their development and resources.

@Blade-Syphon yeah they had being and is going exactly like I expected that the game will be there and only the seasonal events will happen the only thing that got me by surprise was the removal of the SG but I also expected that to happen but not that fast.

companies always wants to push their products to higher standards so they always gonna focus in the newer product to do that.

@Blade-Syphon said in Pulling the plug on PSO2?:

@Riesz I felt like Sega was pretty transparent in that NGS was going to be the continuation of the PSO series, and that PSO2 wasn't going to receive any further updates.

The wording they used in the past made no implication that base PSO2 would be neutered with NGS' release. It wasn't until recently this was discovered. They often worded that base pso2 would continue to receive updates with the release of NGS, and that the two games would co-exist. That in no way sounds like what ended up happening, in fact it implies that base PSO2 would have been supported more than people originally suspected it to be. (Granted updates can just mean seasonal events and/or scratches, it still didn't imply the removal of features).

Also their posts about things like the removal of the physical scratch ticket usable item (which left only direct buying of scratch counts, rather than being able to hold onto unused tickets, you scratch immediately) implied something would be replacing it, but instead the removal was all that actually changed.

@Riesz said in Pulling the plug on PSO2?:

@Blade-Syphon said in Pulling the plug on PSO2?:

The wording they used in the past made no implication that base PSO2 would be neutered with NGS' release. It wasn't until recently this was discovered. They often worded that base pso2 would continue to receive updates with the release of NGS, and that the two games would co-exist. That in no way sounds like what ended up happening, in fact it implies that base PSO2 would have been supported more than people originally suspected it to be. (Granted updates can just mean seasonal events and/or scratches, it still didn't imply the removal of features).

This is exactly correct. Aside from that, the decision to drawdown this far on support for base PSO2 does not seem to make financial sense on the face of it.

Further, I don't see scheduling a month's worth of UQs as being that demanding manpower-wise. In fact, I hereby volunteer to do it lol I think it would take about an hour to do.

@Riesz I don't think they ever said that PSO2 would be getting updates after NGS releases, only that the games would co-exist.

Personally I found it pretty clear since late last year that PSO2 was going to stop getting updates and entering maintenance mode, based on how much updates had started slowing down in the JP version since September.

So none of this is really surprising.

• They wouldn't tell you they would shift focus to NGS away from PSO2 while still trying to sell you cosmetics, premium, etc. Hardly any business would tell you to stop buying something. It's why rushing to get all of those augments, max stat 15 star weapons and 13 star gear was kind of silly if you thought there'd be more PSO2 stuff. Some of you are acting like it's some sort of horrible thing that a sequel disguised as a standalone expansion would make your old gear obsolete.

• PSO2 is 10 years old. It doesn't matter that we got the game late. That is irrelevant, aside from SEGA had promised the game back when it was initially announced and never gave any updates on the status of a Western release.

• They are not going to make PSO2 all that appetizing because they want to shift gears to NGS, and they want their players to move to NGS. A large reason for them transferring all cosmetics over is to provide further incentive for people to shift to NGS themselves.

• This shifting of focus to NGS in addition to apparently permanently ceasing all development and updates of PSO2 means, given SEGA's Phantasy Star history, that PSO2's servers are going to shut down probably in a year or two. I suspect within 3 years only PSO:NGS will exist.

And yes. Western servers for both PSO2 and PSO:NGS will probably shut down before the Japanese servers. That happened with PSO Dreamcast, Xbox, and then Gamecube and Blue Burst PC. Then PSU shut down the PS2, then the PC servers and shortly after that the xbox servers.

@Ciel I find it likely that they may just drastically reduce the number of blocks available for PSO2 over time instead of a shutdown.

@Ezodagrom said in Pulling the plug on PSO2?:

@Riesz I don't think they ever said that PSO2 would be getting updates after NGS releases, only that the games would co-exist.

Personally I found it pretty clear since late last year that PSO2 was going to stop getting updates and entering maintenance mode, based on how much updates had started slowing down in the JP version since September.

you are correct they stated Episode 7 is PSO2 NGS in a sense and that PSO2 base is not going away but people speculated the dev team will support both games while that would be nice I can see why NGS is the primary focus and I am glad it is because it is something new and imo the instanced content that was PSO2 has been done to death at this point so a change is needed. (I know NGS is still instanced but sure as heck is a lot more open feeling than the closed fields of PSO2) As for the instanced content I am sure they will add some into PSO2 to make people swap to NGS but at first they would want people to get a feel for the content to expect so they know which direction to take the game.

It's not out of the question that the base game will be removed, and only leave the main story in via videos/cut-scenes or solo instances you simply cannot lose. I wouldn't mind it myself, considering PSO2's base game is in an age where Lobby-Based Online services aren't as popular anymore.

Pso2 will likely stay so long as it brings a profit to the table. If it does close down it would be 2-3 years down the road.

@Riesz said in Pulling the plug on PSO2?:

They often worded that base pso2 would continue to receive updates with the release of NGS

Please link such a wording. I don't recall it.

@Ciel said in Pulling the plug on PSO2?:

Then PSU shut down the PS2, then the PC servers and shortly after that the xbox servers.

It's a minor point but PSU had a shared server for PS2 and PC; they lost Network Mode at the same time.

@YagyuChan said in Pulling the plug on PSO2?:

they stated Episode 7 is PSO2 NGS in a sense

If I recall the next major development they were hinting at before New Genesis was announced was generally called "Not Episode 7", wasn't it?

NGS IS the "Not Episode 7" they spoke of.

As for the standing misconceptions about the post, nothing about it implies they're pulling the plug. NGS was never meant to "kill off" or replace PSO2; if it were, it would've been less work to just create it as a standalone title and call it "PSO3". And yet despite plenty of marketing and literal words-on-screen affirmations that PSO2 wasn't going away or being replaced by NGS, people still somehow got the wrong idea.

Let it not be confused that focus will shift forward to NGS - as PSO2's story and content releases are done (for what we know. Adding more content that isn't tied to story is entirely possible, BUT UNLIKELY with an entire new game attached to it). But so as not to obsolete or discourage playing PSO2, especially for people who will be brand new to both PSO2 and NGS, they are effectively making changes that allow it to continue on with less focused development and redirect that same focus to the new addition that will require time and effort to grow and become an equal or greater success.

To reclarify: PSO2: NGS is NOT a replacement or a death sentence for Classic PSO2. It's been advertised from the start that you can "play in both worlds", and this is just one functional step toward doing that.

This was kind of expected anyways. I'm a returning player from the original PSO2, I tried it but I didn't like it that much. But it looks like the NGS version might be more of my interest, anyways. Just, I have one concern.

Is there going to be any Windows Store issues? My point here is that PSO2 had issues with Windows Store. Specifically, that the game may uninstall by itself. It was extremely annoying. I don't want too many peoples to be turned off by that or forced to resort to PSO2 Tweaker.