Pulling the plug on PSO2?

@Mjolnir

Every MMO/MO that doesn't introduce massive grind walls can be completed fast. I completely disagree with takes such as it meaning that you've completed this content update and there is nothing to do but play something else. It depends entirely on how long you're entertained by doing whatever is available in the game, even just the social side. Then when you're truly feeling like you've had enough switching to another game is inevitable, but it's more probable it will be some single player game or similar from my experience. One of PSO2's strength is how easy it is to pick up and play with rather minimal time investment so you don't feel like dropping it altogether just because you've not logged in in a year or two.

There is no better choice for PSO2's fate either way. Anyone who is new or still hasn't accomplished something he wanted in PSO2 can play it to the heart's content. The only other option is releasing content for PSO2, but that means that content isn't released for PSO2 NGS. What would that accomplish? Trying to make players who weren't interested in PSO2 go through all the level 1 to 100 grind?

IIRC the treasure shop is basically the same concept as fresh finds, except the rotation is a random rotation per-account rather than a predetermined selection for everyone. (plus you can pay a small amount of SG to roll a new batch of items if you don't like what's in stock that day). If it contains the entirety of Fresh Finds' items in its pool, that could be a very good thing overall. In a perfect world, they'd throw the Mission Pass items in there as well... but we'll see.

@Tarina said in Pulling the plug on PSO2?:

IIRC the treasure shop is basically the same concept as fresh finds

It's similar but not quite the same, Fresh Finds was more focused on cosmetics especially outfits from old jp AC scratches (which is the main reason why people hated it so much as it was SG based and made these items untradable). The Treasure Shop on the other hand is more focused on triggers, EX-Cubes and items like "Good Fishing Rod" while in terms of cosmetics it is more focused on stuff you would expect to see from FUN scratches and BINGO cards.

In a perfect world, they'd throw the Mission Pass items in there as well... but we'll see.

No, "in a perfect world" they throw the MP stuff into the RWB5 exchange as stuff like the capsules are essential for endgame progression.

@Ryoga said in Pulling the plug on PSO2?:

IIRC the treasure shop is basically the same concept as fresh finds

It's similar but not quite the same, Fresh Finds was more focused on cosmetics especially outfits from old jp AC scratches (which is the main reason why people hated it so much as it was SG based and made these items untradable). The Treasure Shop on the other hand is more focused on triggers, EX-Cubes and items like "Good Fishing Rod" while in terms of cosmetics it is more focused on stuff you would expect to see from FUN scratches and BINGO cards.

In a perfect world, they'd throw the Mission Pass items in there as well... but we'll see.

No, "in a perfect world" they throw the MP stuff into the RWB5 exchange as stuff like the capsules are essential for endgame progression.

If you read the entire thing there will be no more UQ schedule. It will be random on what we've gotten the past year. Progression in itself will be very hard for those who wish to stay with pso2 or play it on/off. With NGS good luck also filling in slots for those UQ.

@Hooonter It doesn't matter what you agree with though, this is how many people behave. Which his why it would be intelligent for Sega to give them a solid option to go between NGS and base PSO2. Which is why taking away scheduled UQs in PSO2 is a bad idea. That may work for NGS (it's harder to see the ups and downs there because the game is newer and at least at first will likely be more populated), but if they do follow through and remove the UQ schedule for base PSO2 I think they will be less likely to retain players in that game.

@Mjolnir said in Pulling the plug on PSO2?:

but if they do follow through and remove the UQ schedule for base PSO2 I think they will be less likely to retain players in that game.

Yeah, that's the point of releasing a new game to get your players to focus on the new game.

@Fattest-Leg People will do that already, many have already gone into NGS hibernation. My point is that many will also probably hit that point of "welp done everything I feel like I had to accomplish in NGS until new content comes out" and then it would be smart for Sega to maintain PSO2 as a place those players can fall back on in a "I haven't played this in a while, let's do that for a while during this period I'm bored with NGS" way. I know sevearl ppl who have predicted they would do just that who now say 'lol well guess I won't play PSO2 anymore at all' because of the lack of UQs. It seems shortsighted and ill conceived to me to try to strangle base PSO2.

@Mjolnir There won't be a lack of UQ's. They will be randomized, and likely set to a bihourly auto launch. It would make sense to run an urgent every other hour with this randomized setup, so that it's easier to access for most players, especially because they aren't scheduled anymore. Either way saying there will be a lack of something is disingenuous until you actually see that play out in game.

@Mjolnir

The amount of people who get bored of NGS so they revisit PSO2 will probably be really small, because anything that's to be done in PSO2 would've already been done by them. Removal of the schedule doesn't disable UQs anyway.

@Zeke said in Pulling the plug on PSO2?:

If you read the entire thing there will be no more UQ schedule. It will be random on what we've gotten the past year. Progression in itself will be very hard for those who wish to stay with pso2 or play it on/off. With NGS good luck also filling in slots for those UQ.

You don't need UQs to progress in the game nowadays. Sodam is there for TPD stones, Divide is there for cubes, and Cradle is just the money inflation machine. Random schedule is perfectly fine for variety.

If you read the entire thing there will be no more UQ schedule. It will be random on what we've gotten the past year.

This is completely irrelevant to the post you are responding to.

Progression in itself will be very hard for those who wish to stay with pso2 or play it on/off. With NGS good luck also filling in slots for those UQ.

Yeah and that is something that usually gets addressed by changes made in preparation for "maintenance mode", SEGAs failure to do so combined with their complete lack of communication is the whole reason why this topic is constantly brought up.

Or that some people on this forum can't handle the fact pso2 is an old game that Sega no longer wants to dish content out for. People want a new game hence why there's more excitement for NGS than there ever was for PSO2.

Or that some people on this forum can't handle the fact pso2 is an old game that Sega no longer wants to dish content out for.

I don't recall a single person here constantly talking about how they want SEGA to make new content for base PSO2. You seem to be making up quite the strawman here.

@Anarchy-Marine said in Pulling the plug on PSO2?:

@Mjolnir There won't be a lack of UQ's. They will be randomized, and likely set to a bihourly auto launch. It would make sense to run an urgent every other hour with this randomized setup, so that it's easier to access for most players, especially because they aren't scheduled anymore. Either way saying there will be a lack of something is disingenuous until you actually see that play out in game.

To follow on this - it's not like Triggers are magically going away. If you want to farm UQs, grab some buddies, get on a public Discord, organize some runs, and go grind to your heart's content.

The only thing that's going away are the scheduled UQ's. Random UQ's are still happening, likely on a bi-hourly "Schedule" like Marine stated, and if not - grab some Triggers, and go to town.

The worst you might have to do is socialize and build some form of social connections with the players to run and farm UQs. Oh god, how horrible.

@Ryoga said in Pulling the plug on PSO2?:

Or that some people on this forum can't handle the fact pso2 is an old game that Sega no longer wants to dish content out for.

I don't recall a single person here constantly talking about how they want SEGA to make new content for base PSO2. You seem to be making up quite the strawman here.

Look at the "Discontinuation of Mission Pass Thread" and you'll see yourself that isn't a strawman.

@Zeke And even if they were correct that wouldn't really mean anything either. There not being people specifically saying we want them to continue to make content for base pso2 wouldn't be the same as not wanting them to do so.

First, not everyone that feels that way says so, and second we didn't know we would have to do so. We didn't know how NGS' existence would affect base PSO2 so we couldn't have known that would even be necessary.