Non-Latin characters in the chat

It seems like you can't use non-Latin characters in the chat (just like in PSO2). But why? Isn't PSO2: NGS «Global»? Is it a bug or a feature?

It's because it's global and global usually is NA and NA usually is English and English is the mother language of NA and it's usually NA that is giving you the global side of games that you're playing in. 9 times out of 10, you're playing on an NA server.

If it was global from a Latin speaking country or similar, would be something similar and suited more for your language. Why? because your translator would probably be a native to Latin and not English.

You see the difference? NA is releasing it to you globally but we speak English so we translate it into English characters because the majority are English native speakers playing it and the translator is probably an English speaker working in America who is publishing the game that was brought to them overseas, globally, in English because it's being published from America.

I'd like to point out you can't type Japanese characters either, the chatbox eats it up... unless you use it in a shortcut. This tells me this is either done deliberately and they did not cover all the bases or its a bug. You can't even type things like é in chat either but there are plenty of items in the base game what use it in their names.

is just that they left only 1 kind of input, that's why the game doesn't recognize if is not in the input they left there in this case is the basic keyboard inputs, that's why special characters can be typed but won't be accepted by the game.

is less about 1 language and more doing the fastest job possible.

@Jamesmor The silliest thing is the room decoration that allows people to leave messages in your room outright states "hit alt + enter for a line break" and hey guess what it eats your message if you use it because its a special character.

@Vashzaron yeah those are annoying, even more for me that I have a portuguese ABNT 2 keyboard that has 8 special characters and yet I can't use a single one of then

@Vita-Starshine said in Non-Latin characters in the chat:

You see the difference? NA is releasing it to you globally but we speak English so we translate it into English characters because the majority are English native speakers playing it and the translator is probably an English speaker working in America who is publishing the game that was brought to them overseas, globally, in English because it's being published from America.

I don't care about translation on other languages, lol. Even if this game was translated in my language, I would play it in English. But why I can't type non-ASCII characters (well, font supports them, and Japanese version doesn't have this weird limitation). You can't write even English words like "café" and "naïve" btw.

@RyuuM said in Non-Latin characters in the chat:

@Vita-Starshine said in Non-Latin characters in the chat:

I don't care about translation on other languages, lol. Even if this game was translated in my language, I would play it in English. But why I can't type non-ASCII characters (well, font supports them, and Japanese version doesn't have this weird limitation). You can't write even English words like "café" and "naïve" btw.

You can write those words. You obviously care, because you're literally upset you can't use Latin characters. I just told you the reason why you can't. No one, in NA, that speaks English uses Fadas and other things like that. We spell "café" cafe and "naïve" naive. Only people that use those is people who are trying to be fancy. Also, Cafe isn't an English word, it's a word borrowed from the French and Naive is a word that was borrowed from the French.

English is the greatest language in the world that's why.

@GM-Deynger

This has been a problem since launch, and as somebody who lives in Europe, these symbols and characters are more common than you'd think, especially if you venture out into Europe itself, and other countries where English isn't the main language, or where English is very commonplace but the use of accented characters is common itself, but unfortunately it seems America lives in its own bubble where only the US Dollar exists because you can only use that currency symbol.

Swing it whichever way you want, but it's broken and nobody cares to fix it, unless one of the GM's or mods can tell us otherwise and reassure us our feedback for this is going to be used to fix the confirmed broken in-game chat functionality (yes it's broken), you can't use accented characters which is silly because as mentioned above, Étoile and Café are used in-game, but also seeing as this is a 'Global' release, (meaning not just America) you'd expect them to allow use of even currency symbols outside of the USD $, but no you can't even use GBP £ or EUR € which is daft.

The chat's broken, ALT+Enter is even advertised in the Alliance Quarters via the Message Board but won't actually work, it errors if you try to add a linebreak.

All of this and more works on JP and I've sent support tickets in which are not making any difference, so unless you all start sending support tickets in (Please, I urge you to do so) I don't think anyone actually cares enough to allow the use of non Latin characters, additional symbols and whatnot.

Here are some great examples where you CAN use these characters, if you send them as Chat Shortcuts;

584175cd-18b0-4d08-9414-0f2776110293-image.png

7f38ced3-5171-4e85-ae95-4a7f8e56fb38-image.png

1a9eb746-0c00-497e-9926-1f4f49978dcb-image.png

af1233cd-9dc5-4215-a24c-7af210d8d770-image.png

It's basically American English and that's it, and I've met plenty of Americans who say the issue is a non-issue, because it just doesn't affect them, because they're living in America, a country where these aren't commonplace like in the EU, their own separate bubble where they are free from the dangers of the Great British Pound Sterling.

Contact Support, maybe then you'll get somewhere, I know I didn't, because America, heck yeah. https://support.pso2.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Here is the thing. You're playing on global NA. You got the game through Microsoft (or steam), which the game was published by Sega Cooperation NA. You are going to see American based text characters, currencies and such because you're literally playing on NA Global. NA usually makes their game servers Global, the downside of that is you have to get use to American English. Everytime a game comes to NA, it's usually global. When a game comes to the West, NA tries to make it global.

Even if it's Global, it's still the US.

This is why you see Americanized changes. Étoile and Café are in there probably because they wanted it to be in there, however; North America don't use the same characters as EU. So yes, we are our own bubble.

The GMs and the mods can't do anything about it, why?

A game master or GM oversees gameplay during a multiplayer video game, role-playing game, or another type of contest. A moderator is s a user who presides over an online forum discussion. In these forums, moderators are tasked with enforcing community guidelines and have the authority to block messages that are deemed inappropriate.

You'd need to talk to a CM (Community Manager) - Game community management often includes supporting open communications between the developer and player community or the customer support and your best bet is to contact customer support.

I gonna repeat myself again is NOT about language is doing the fastest job, they put the simple input command in the game so they could do it faster and talking to a CM it will be the same of talking to a GM or a moderator of the forum, the one that can fix that is a developer and they will do that after getting feedback from all other channels that deal with costumers.

They are just lazy, is all it is. Has nothing to do with the game being operated from the NA. Would take zero effort to enable different inputs to chat.

Happy to see this type of thread gaining traction, it's necessary if you want them to not ignore this.

It's possible to input a myriad of various characters on the JP side.

The problem here is as I stated you can actually use these characters providing you do so via shortcuts, which immediately raises the question "Why can't I input this without using shortcuts?", it could be by choice or a bug, but since it works shortcuts as seen in my example screenshots, it looks like this is intentionally locked out, unless the bug affects user input directly.

The fact that you can't do line breaks in Personal Quarters and Alliance Quarters Message Boards leads one to think this is a bug.

This is why we need a staff member's take on the matter, some form of public acknowledgement of this and confirmation of it being a bug or an intentional design (less likely because Message Boards) would be nice.

I imagine it might have been done to avoid people bypassing censorship or some lazy excuse. I'm stupid and forgot to complain about that in the survey, but then again there were too few characters to give feedback, and I was tired of deleting words near the end.