So, about the restricted areas.

@Merelambasted How exactly is it different? The server isn't the one loading the zones for us, that's client-side. Heck, for the server it's like all the zones are permanently loaded at all times.

Also, in case you haven't seen the places where the shield generators are placed, they're over rivers and canyons. There's no reason to prevent us from gliding over them, other than to disguise a loading screen on the bridge.

@The-Merfox Sorry, I'm confused. In Genshin you can just run into players? I thought it worked more like Monster Hunter.

@Merelambasted No, you can't run into players. That's not what I implied either. No matter the scale of the online game, the loading is client-side.

@The-Merfox Genshin Impact works in a complete different way, players there are not grouped in block unless they are playing with others and is 4 players per block, NGS doesn't do that and instead put everyone in blocks and the server handles all the logistic also Genshin Impact is not client side like is PSO2 and NGS

@Jamesmor What? None of what you're saying makes any sense. No matter what game you're playing, it's your console or PC that loads the areas. That's what client-side means, the server has nothing to do with any of that.

@The-Merfox I think we're all confused about the point you're trying to make because you compare it to FFXIV which has no creative solution to loading zones and Genshin Impact that isn't an MMO. If you're just disappointed and wish more people were then I'm sorry haha.

@Merelambasted I specifically compared it to FFXIV 1.0, where there were no loading screens within a zone. Instead, you had overly long corridors where you couldn't see the rest of the world as it loaded. That's what the bridges are here to do, they force you in a controlled area where the game can do all the loading.

Also, you still haven't explained why Genshin isn't a fair comparison. The game loads on your end, not the server's, so what difference does it make?

If you want an even better comparison, take GTA Online. The player count is the same, and there are no forced corridors, loading screens, or anything for any content in the overworld. The only exception to that are missions where new assets are loaded, not unlike UQs in NGS.

@The-Merfox I see what you're saying. Do you know why they had to do this? And what kind of engineering should they have done to avoid the corridors? I just get frustrated because often time people throw around words like "lazy" without having reason or knowledge of what it takes to make those features possible.

@The-Merfox is you who are getting thing complete wrong, server side or client side is communication not loading times, loading times is entirely handle by the hardware and software also loading times are affected by optimization of the code

@Jamesmor said in So, about the restricted areas.:

@The-Merfox is you who are getting thing complete wrong, server side or client side is communication not loading times, loading times is entirely handle by the hardware and software also loading times are affected by optimization of the code

Please elaborate on what I'm getting wrong here. I know all the server does is communicate. How does that invalidate anything I've said so far?

@Merelambasted said in So, about the restricted areas.:

@The-Merfox I see what you're saying. Do you know why they had to do this? And what kind of engineering should they have done to avoid the corridors? I just get frustrated because often time people throw around words like "lazy" without having reason or knowledge of what it takes to make those features possible.

I'm not a software engineer so I don't know exactly what should've been done to avoid it. All I know is that it could have been avoided, as most open world games I'm familiar with, like Skyrim or WoW, load their content in cells rather than all at once. Based on the initial loading time for NGS, I think they opted to load the entire zone all at once instead. I guess we'll have a better idea once the full game is out and we see the transition between major zones in action.

@The-Merfox you are mixing stuff, when people say server side or client side is related to the communication and the one that has the highest value and I didn't say but servers can affect loading times in special when they work with block distribution and if the server is taking too much time doing the distribuition you get stuck in a long loading

I saw the differences as well, but I thought perhaps the reason for the blue "Restricted Area: No One Enter" signs was due to story. Like, you would have to progress far enough in the story before those shields went down and those areas would become accessible.

As for funneling people through bridges hurting the open world field experience, ehh...I don't think so. Then again, when I lived in NY, would have to take the Washington Bridge if I wanted to get to Manhattan. Sometimes the geography of a certain area requires bridges for the normal plebs that cannot photon dash/glide to traverse them.

But, I'm leaning heavily toward those areas being locked behind story and once you get far enough, those shields will come down, and you'll be able to cross the bridge or even glide you way to the respective area. We will see on full release.

@The-Merfox said in So, about the restricted areas.:

I'm not a software engineer so I don't know exactly what should've been done to avoid it. All I know is that it could have been avoided, as most open world games I'm familiar with, like Skyrim or WoW, load their content in cells rather than all at once. Based on the initial loading time for NGS, I think they opted to load the entire zone all at once instead. I guess we'll have a better idea once the full game is out and we see the transition between major zones in action.

I think this is because of the game's open verticality. Chunk loading is fine when you have mostly flat and or enclosed terrain as you only need to load the few chunks that are within lateral viewing distance.

In NGS it is quite possible to climb up the mountains and then glide pretty much anywhere in zone.

@Teasa Were you trying to get out of bounds when you did this? Or did you just get out of bounds by mistake? I was trying but couldn't manage. Also you dont happen to have video of this do you?

@Reiven I thought it would've been story-related at first too, but the fact that the barrier changes specifically where the bridge is makes me think it's specifically made that way. It just looks too intentional the way it's made. If it was related to story elements, I'd expect the bridges to not even exist until the zone opens up.