So, about the restricted areas.

I've made an observation, and I'm not sure if others have noticed it before, but the walls that lead to the snow area to the north are different from the rest of the restricted areas. alt text Here they're noticeably more present, unlike the red ones that only show up when you're close. Moreover...

alt text On the bridge that leads to the snow area, the red walls there as normal.

This leads me to believe that to go to another major area, aka those that aren't fully visible on the world map, you'll be required to pass through specific areas, presumably as a kind of disguised loading screen. If so, that's kind of a shame.

The ones with the blue walls have floating shield generators around them as well, they do seem to have a bit more effort in being there in the world as not a temporary thing.

Additionally you can see those red walls being used instead of blue in areas of the beta that the game restricts access to that will be available in the actual game, like the beach area to the west.

All red walls block the rest of the world to us. Expect NGS to be massive on launch.

@Zeke said in So, about the restricted areas.:

All red walls block the rest of the world to us. Expect NGS to be massive on launch.

I'm aware of that. The point I'm making is that the big blue walls funnel us in to new areas though specific points, leaving the areas in between major zones completely inaccessible. It also hurts the open world feel of the rest of the game if you absolutely have to take the bridge to get there.

@The-Merfox said in So, about the restricted areas.:

I'm aware of that. The point I'm making is that the big blue walls funnel us in to new areas though specific points, leaving the areas in between major zones completely inaccessible. It also hurts the open world feel of the rest of the game if you absolutely have to take the bridge to get there.

If you're aware then you answered your own question. A lot of stuff we don't have in the beta that we're suppose to have at the start of NGS. Even missing the starting town. Remember we're purposely getting a very gimped version of the game to test it.

If you're aware then you answered your own question. A lot of stuff we don't have in the beta that we're suppose to have at the start of NGS. Even missing the starting town. Remember we're purposely getting a very gimped version of the game to test it.

I think you're ignoring my point.

I'm not saying we don't have enough to explore, or that the world feels closed. I'm saying that funneling players to other zones by forcing them to use one specific entry point is bad game design for an open world game.

I'm not saying we don't have enough to explore, or that the world feels closed. I'm saying that funneling players to other zones by forcing them to use one specific entry point is bad game design for an open world game.

Doubt it will be funneled due to the mobility the game has. Not to mention the instances that keep us apart.

Zeke read the posts in their entirety and properly formulate an opinion.

Doubt it will be funneled due to the mobility the game has. Not to mention the instances that keep us apart.

This could not be a more literal funnel. The blue walls are there to completely halt players in their tracks and force them to go through the bridges. And as Vashzaron said, there are shield generators in the world that project those blue walls, which means they're actually there to restrict player movement.

On the bridge that leads to the snow area, the red walls there as normal. This leads me to believe that to go to another major area, aka those that aren't fully visible on the world map, you'll be required to pass through specific areas, presumably as a kind of disguised loading screen. If so, that's kind of a shame.

It is the limit of area size and computer rendering capabilities. The current "zone" is still absolutely massive with no loading between the current zone's fields and the other zones behind the those loading tunnels will likely be just as huge.

This could not be a more literal funnel. The blue walls are there to completely halt players in their tracks and force them to go through the bridges. And as Vashzaron said, there are shield generators in the world that project those blue walls, which means they're actually there to restrict player movement.

They are likely more notating the end of the programed area you also encounter them when you head south from the beaches.

We have literally no idea how the walls will work once the game releases. Just wait and find out

@The-Merfox

I think it will be some sort of instanced areas.

I managed to clip through the wall and explore the West side of the map.

(Don't pay attention to my status.)

dd98ccda-5d8a-40fd-9c7d-12feffa97e8b-image.png

Bottom left from the world map.

5e080b34-68fe-4cb5-b46c-e4fbcedb91f4-image.png

You'll get disconnected when you clip through the wall.

@ultimatecalibur I think he makes a valid point, there seems to be a difference between dev beta restricted areas and contextually made restrictions. We probably will be funneled and I'm fine with that.

@Teasa said in So, about the restricted areas.:

@The-Merfox

I think it will be some sort of instanced areas.

I doubt anything aside of towers, cocoons, and UQs will be instanced. The issue I have is that, from what we can tell, they feel the need to have players go through bridges to get between major areas, either to restrict exploration or to disguise a loading screen, as was done in other games like FFXIV 1.0, or the bridge in the monastery in Fire Emblem Three Houses.

Funneling players like that is just bad game design for an open world game. It's possible to program games in a way that doesn't require loading zones between areas. Just look at Genshin Impact for example, it has two zones each roughly the size of NGS's first zone, CBT inaccessible zones included, and has no loading screen, funnels, or anything to prevent exploration.

Also, I agree with your status, @#!@ Censorships.

@The-Merfox Okay well, Genshin Impact works differently though right? it's not an MMO trying to manage instances of thousands of players. That's an apples and oranges comparison.

As far as using a loading screen to separate it, I'd say that's a lazier solution than actually making a contextual story reason for it to have bridges. If those things floating in the air are some kind of inhibiter put in place by something in the world, I'd say that's good game design because things built around limitation historically helps to create part of its identity.