Unified Service for NGS between Global and JP

@Ragnawind said in Unified Service for NGS between Global and JP:

@RainGnyu said in Unified Service for NGS between Global and JP:

I didn’t know FFXIV was subscription based!!! How is that a proper comparison to free to play? This changes everything!

yes, that difference on its own is where their arguments start breaking down, because both games use completely different models. With FFXIV, you have to pay a minimum of $12.99 a month just to play, also.

Not really irrelevant, because PSO2's Premium Service is merely just a 50% Triboost at this point.

So if SEGA just fortifies the bonuses, more people would be willing to purchase it instead of running SG events for free Mission Pass Gold.

SEGA claimed to lack money for a Global version in the first place. so if a Unified Server Matching System were to be added, it would need that cash boost to keep things running.

I didn’t know FFXIV was subscription based!!! How is that a proper comparison to free to play? This changes everything!

@Ragnawind said in Unified Service for NGS between Global and JP:

yes, that difference on its own is where their arguments start breaking down, because both games use completely different models. With FFXIV, you have to pay a minimum of $12.99 a month just to play, also.

The difference in business models doesn't change or break down any of the arguments. It doesn't change the benefits of a unified system. It doesn't change how FFXIV benefited from the level communication with the developers that a unified service offered. It doesn't change that a unified service help make FFXIV the game it is today. The difference in business models really doesn't change anything.

Plus PSO2 has its own subscription system, albeit optional. Both F2P and P2P are capable of the same income; the only difference is that F2P tends to rely on a small group of players, whales, with its burden of funding while P2P relies on all of its players to a lesser degree. Both models benefit from more players, P2P getting a set amount from each player while F2P can attract more whales if it has a healthy and thriving player base. Things like service quality affects player retention in both models. That's why FFXIV is able to retain its players, its quality of service is simply good. Things like a unified service help improve service quality.

@Archetype-Luna said in Unified Service for NGS between Global and JP:

Someone, during one of the FFXIV fan fests, asked Yoshi P is a QoL improvement could be done and the response was yes; 4 months later, it was added to the game. During the last fan fest, they took on live questions via zoom and answered them. There is no middle man company like what we currently have in Global.

There is no middle man company in this case either. It's being published by Sega, and the support is being done by Sega staff. GMs have direct contact with the devs, there's stuff that has been posted in this forum that has been fixed by Sega, such as translation errors, the fact that the game wasn't downloadable outside the US, the Steam release due to performance issues with the Windows 10 version, the Thanksgiving event (I think), etc.

The Japanese playerbase has nothing like this. The only way the gauge player feedback is from the surveys they do all the time (kind of like the ones we have also had in global). The only time I figure they get feedback from players in a Q&A fashion would probably be during PSO2fest, which kind of hasn't happened since global launch due to the pandemic.

@Edes Support isn't done by Sega Staff. Support is done by ESTSoft (you can find them in the Production Credits), this forum is handled by EstSoft. All of our feedback goes through the middleman that is ESTSoft. We don't have a direct communication channel to the devs. We go through ESTSoft who forwards it to the devs. PSO2 JP's feedback goes directly to Sega.

@Archetype-Luna said in Unified Service for NGS between Global and JP:

@Edes Support isn't done by Sega Staff. Support is done by ESTSoft (you can find them in the Production Credits), this forum is handled by EstSoft. All of our feedback goes through the middleman that is ESTSoft. We don't have a direct communication channel to the devs. We go through ESTSoft who forwards it to the devs. PSO2 JP's feedback goes directly to Sega.

wait so basically youre saying that you dont wanna have a middle man who does the job? but...think about all of the guys who gonna loose their jobs in ESTSoft ... thats kinda making me sad to even think about it

@Moei said in Unified Service for NGS between Global and JP:

Actually this sounds like a great idea. My guild in JP never moved over for global, so this is very relevant for me. They had already spent a LOT of money in JP so didn't want to move over.

Not to mention all of the prominent pso2 players are probably still going to stay on the JP side once NGS launches. The social dynamic on NA is getting kind of dry and flat. It'd be a smarter move just to start on the JP side as a fresh player.

@chucksticks said in Unified Service for NGS between Global and JP:

Not to mention all of the prominent pso2 players are probably still going to stay on the JP side once NGS launches. The social dynamic on NA is getting kind of dry and flat. It'd be a smarter move just to start on the JP side as a fresh player.

NGS is a fresh start, so the "prominent" gets reset and will inevitably lead to Global players having the skill advantage due to the play style shifting completely.

The Global whales already paid more than enough in just 1 year of PSO2 to fund this NGS endeavor, even with our pitifully low player count. Their server expenses through the deal with Microsoft are probably very discounted, which helped motivate SEGA to finally release outside of JP. I am making a big assumption here, but I believe that JP will eventually be migrated to the same architecture (if they haven't been yet) and will reserve the ability to mash the regions together when both populations are dying out. That would be many years down the road.

It would be great if they would listen to this suggestion, but I feel they won't do anything for Global that isn't contractually obligated through whatever magic Microsoft worked behind the scenes. They should unify the two regions and alternate scratches/collaborations in a way that shares one culture with the other, so that both player bases can gain an even greater appreciation of the other.

@JuggernautGTX More likely they would just get reassigned to a different post within ESTSoft. PSO2 isn't ESTSoft's only client.

@John-Paul-RAGE said in Unified Service for NGS between Global and JP:

@chucksticks said in Unified Service for NGS between Global and JP:

NGS is a fresh start, so the "prominent" gets reset and will inevitably lead to Global players having the skill advantage due to the play style shifting completely.

The Global whales already paid more than enough in just 1 year of PSO2 to fund this NGS endeavor, even with our pitifully low player count. Their server expenses through the deal with Microsoft are probably very discounted, which helped motivate SEGA to finally release outside of JP. I am making a big assumption here, but I believe that JP will eventually be migrated to the same architecture (if they haven't been yet) and will reserve the ability to mash the regions together when both populations are dying out. That would be many years down the road.

It would be great if they would listen to this suggestion, but I feel they won't do anything for Global that isn't contractually obligated through whatever magic Microsoft worked behind the scenes. They should unify the two regions and alternate scratches/collaborations in a way that shares one culture with the other, so that both player bases can gain an even greater appreciation of the other.

I've come to the conclusion you haven't actually played JP for a long time if you claim that Global has a low population compared to the ghost town that is JP.

@Fattest-Leg That would be an accurate assumption, but are there accurate metrics you can check to see for JP's PSO2 or do you have a character in each ship? Even when I played back in 2017 on Ship 2, you weren't gonna really get a party for anything other than a UQ (though I didn't really try that hard cause had no idea what was going on). Global ship 2 is just AFK, bots, and 1/2 groups running triggers. At least until a UQ happens. Then again, my availability is more during the day and not late evening.

It's not really a fresh start since we don't start with 0 items transferred from pso2. Letting cosmetics transfer makes everyone stick to the server they've most invested in.

Care to elaborate on this? What you do mean skill advantage. Is it because NGS is going on a more casual setting? SEGA devs have mentioned before that global players tend to do more casual stuff compared to the JP community. This is also reflected in other games such as FFXIV (which I think is pretty casual themepark game) where the player census show that the JP servers have significantly more savage raid clears compared to NA/EU servers in both total numbers and percentage of characters.

@HarmlessSyan said in Unified Service for NGS between Global and JP:

Care to elaborate on this? What you do mean skill advantage. Is it because NGS is going on a more casual setting? SEGA devs have mentioned before that global players tend to do more casual stuff compared to the JP community. This is also reflected in other games such as FFXIV (which I think is pretty casual themepark game) where the player census show that the JP servers have significantly more savage raid clears compared to NA/EU servers in both total numbers and percentage of characters.

Was NGS less casual than PSO2? Cause PSO2 is pretty casual in terms of dailies and AP.

It might be because I've played a lot of games, but PSO2's original mechanics felt a bit like WoW positioning tactics and more of the usual combat in classics turned modern. (Meaning that at times, certain classes can just stand there doing the same hotkey.)

The only difficulty I remember with Global PSO2 was the roadmap's extremely rocky demerit in terms of available weapons and the low amount of DPS I could deal within a time limit. (IE- the Bouncer struggles.)

The JP community is hilariously equally guilty of focusing on screenshots during NGS CBT instead of standing in one place to break the server load.

@MasterDarkwingz depending on what you choose to do in PSO2, there are plenty of challenging things in game - many of the solo ultimate quests, running endless for scores, getting in ranking for weekly TA or CM etc.

Global had huge advantage in terms of gearing and having EP6 balancing (many QoL buffs) already in EP3 - having updated skill trees and gear much earlier than it is suppose to be released aka Nemesis/Raven-NT at EP3 when it was late EP5 weapon or getting Cleasis unit upgrade in EP5 already. Level caps were raised at the beginning of EP4/5/6, giving level advantage for early content on each episode as the content were designed for lower level cap. Global was much more of easy mode.

@MasterDarkwingz said in Unified Service for NGS between Global and JP:

@HarmlessSyan said in Unified Service for NGS between Global and JP:

Was NGS less casual than PSO2? Cause PSO2 is pretty casual in terms of dailies and AP.

It might be because I've played a lot of games, but PSO2's original mechanics felt a bit like WoW positioning tactics and more of the usual combat in classics turned modern. (Meaning that at times, certain classes can just stand there doing the same hotkey.)

The only difficulty I remember with Global PSO2 was the roadmap's extremely rocky demerit in terms of available weapons and the low amount of DPS I could deal within a time limit. (IE- the Bouncer struggles.)

The JP community is hilariously equally guilty of focusing on screenshots during NGS CBT instead of standing in one place to break the server load.

People like to pretend (for some reason) that there are two playerbases in japanese games. The perfect playerbase: the japanese playerbase who are just better in every conceivable way, and the playerbase of lesser beings: the reast of the entire world which just blows. It's as pretentious as it sounds.