Unified Service for NGS between Global and JP

As it currently stands, Global and JP have two separate regions. At first this made some sense as JP was in Episode 6 as the game was being launched in the west. However, this has shown to have issues such as the monetization differences, missing content, speed of communication with developers, and so on; thus making one sever superior to the other. The disadvantages of this regional difference doesn't make sense when you look at other competing games, namely FFXIV which has a unified service across its regions.

The same time release for NGS is a step in the right direction, but that there are seemingly differences between the global version and the JP version, even in NGS if the beta is anything to go by, shows that a Unified Service is still a distant dream.

More steps should be taken to erase the gap between the two servers so that at some point in the future a unified service would be possible.

Requirements for Unified Service across the globe:

• Either removal of content censorship, or better background code adjustment for the Global version changes to be compatible with the JP version. (Whether it be changing items to Account Bound or recognizing Region Bound collaboration items.)

• Since Regional Variant Recognition for Loot Box sales is virtually impossible, the Loot Box model (Scratches) must be replaced with a higher longevity financial model. (Just ask Epic if you have any questions about how they handle Fortnite.)

• Have a higher experienced localizer (Such as Play Asia) handle or advise the things that SEGA's localization team lacks skill or knowledge in adapting.

This post is deleted!

Actually this sounds like a great idea. My guild in JP never moved over for global, so this is very relevant for me. They had already spent a LOT of money in JP so didn't want to move over.

@Moei It would also deal with the situation where Sega technically can't officially acknowledge the overseas presence on the JP servers, namely Ship 2.

There is really no reason to not aim for a unified service. The only con is the work needed to get the different infrastructure between Global and JP to mesh together, but even that shouldn't be too difficult as something similar was done with when Steam was added, where they had to re-enable the in game friend system as Steam would naturally not work with the xbox live infrastructure. It would also potentially open the game up to more platforms, as PSO2 is on both Playstation and Switch in JP, though I question how well the Switch version would work due to how bad the network infrastructure can be in some countries.

Again, I point to how FFXIV is set up and how much more successful it is compared to PSO2 despite how FFXIV did in its original incarnation. They accept direct feedback and questions from their playerbase. They did it live just recently during the FFXIV Fan Fest.

https://youtu.be/W-ZBHbnAcTs?t=16930

There is a huge difference in the level of communication between the two games. It isn't like PSO2 doesn't have events like FFXIV Fan Fest; it has similar events, one was shown in Comi, but they are Japan only.

There is a chance to do this with NGS, and it would be a real shame to miss it.

Personally to me if this means that my Japanese characters are forced to look like "default model" or "greyed out" characters because I am using cosmetics (or the original uncensored versions of cosmetics) not available on the global side I would absolutely love to have some sort of connection and connectivity with the original servers if only to combine the pool of players together. The same can be applied if you happen to have a character outside of the global version's accepted parameters where a person using the Mini Suits or being just below or above global's height restrictions could just be greyed out or replaced with the default models. At least in this way, I feel that it would simply rule out incompatibilities for those who insist that we must keep censorship for whatever reason and that those who are able o can at least use content and cosmetics they already had.

As a result, I would imagine that region-based Personal Shops would definitely cause issues for players but I do not feel this is particularly new if we consider things like mobile games and gacha games especially from the Asian side of things where specific regions do have exclusive content (such as Genshin Impact with its China-exclusive KFC Collaboration or games like Final Fantasy XIV which has had Japanese-exclusive events that were still localized and translated even for non-Japanese players).

I would personally love to take the next step and utilize the Universal Ship on a much greater scale so that if desired players from any ship can cross over and play with one another such as me being on Ship 3 playing with friends who are on Ship 1, Ship 2, and Ship 4. I absolutely dislike that I must make a new character on each of those ships and that I must separate my progress between those characters just to be able to greet and play with someone for an Emergency Quest (and due to limited resources this makes it simply impossible for me to build optimally across ships).

This post is deleted!

@VanillaLucia Base PSO2 currently has the ability to recognize NGS gear and convert it into the base version newbie models in Story.

It should be fairly simple in theory to convert JP or collaboration models in the same manner.

It's just the lengthy coding side of things which has me speculating that the timeframe from NA-> Global release to the NGS official ETA is why it hasn't been completed within two years.

Regional Recognition in terms of something such as prohibiting Netherlands users from accessing the cosmetic sections of the Personal Shop is absolutely something that any digital marketing team should be capable of with today's gaming technology.

It's just a matter of if SEGA knows how or where to get the technology and specialized talent.

The cost and result prediction is something for the investors to worry and argue about, in my opinion.

I thought that is what they are doing now! How is it different than what they are doing right now. They just released the sword art online collaboration which was developed in that region. Sega has cross over collaboration all the time from favorites anime with no problem with copyright issues.

@RainGnyu What is currently be done looks more to be trying to sync updates. Basically release the same update at the same time in two different service regions. It is not the same as a Unified Service as there would be the Global Service and the JP Service. This can lead to differences such as, but not limited to, level of communication with the devs and monetization.

The difference is that the Japanese NGS players are basically isolated from the rest of the world. Someone from the United States can play with someone in Hong Kong and vice versa, but neither can play with anyone from Japan despite the two being released at the same time and supposedly getting updates at the same time once NGS is released. This is an issue because the developers are Japanese, they will most likely play the Japanese version and thus get the majority of their feedback from the Japanese version with any feedback they get from the rest of the world having to go through a middle man.

Basically, the Global servers lack a direct communication channel with the developers as everything has to be compiled by a support company acting as a middleman.

Things like the Sword Art Online collaboration is able to release in both JP and Global simply because Sega was able to make a deal with the copyright holder to have the collaboration in both JP and Global. However, this doesn't mean Global will get every collaboration that JP gets. It all depends on whether Sega is able to get a deal working that would allow them to have a collaboration in both servers.

A possible issue in the future is Isekai and Russia. Russia recently banned a number of Isekai series like Konosuba (which we previously had a collaboration with). With Russia being supported by Global, this means that there is a chance that Global can miss some collaborations due to the series being illegal in one of the countries that Global supports. In a unified service, there would just be global, with Japan being part of Global, meaning Sega would not be able to limit the collaboration to a single region.

This is only the tip of the iceberg, but since you mentioned collaborations, I just focused on the potential differences in the collaborations we get if legal issues come into play. Sega did say during one of the prologues that legal issues can prevent some content from coming to Global.

@Archetype-Luna Yes. Those infamous anime related legal issues are also why I suggested regional specific adjustments.

I imagine that SEGA would also be required to ban repeated Regional IP VPN users from credit card purchases after such content adjustment.

Under current danger level conditions of supply and demand, codes from either the Microsoft/Xbox or Steam cards would be a more likely replacement if a user were banned from credit cards purchases by mistake. (Rather than a new PSO2 New Genesis multi-country shipment.)

And I imagine that Support would be here to help if you're willing to provide an airline receipt if it indeed were to be a simple technology made mistake.

@MasterDarkwingz said in Unified Service for NGS between Global and JP:

@VanillaLucia Base PSO2 currently has the ability to recognize NGS gear and convert it into the base version newbie models in Story.

It should be fairly simple in theory to convert JP or collaboration models in the same manner.

It's just the lengthy coding side of things which has me speculating that the timeframe from NA-> Global release to the NGS official ETA is why it hasn't been completed within two years.

Regional Recognition in terms of something such as prohibiting Netherlands users from accessing the cosmetic sections of the Personal Shop is absolutely something that any digital marketing team should be capable of with today's gaming technology.

It's just a matter of if SEGA knows how or where to get the technology and specialized talent.

The cost and result prediction is something for the investors to worry and argue about, in my opinion.

Well to me and my personal perspective opinion. I fill Sega is for filling an community obligation outside of the money flow incentive and respecting culture and regional differences. We may not understand all the legal aspects of it all but I have to believe the law is there to protect us individually and as a community. I Just feel we need to respect the discussion and reflect it.

@RainGnyu And that's why I considered suggestions to allow for ease of legal proximity for a Universal Server to communicate.

(IE- The dreaded "don't like it for your audience, censor it via the newbie wear base models" solution.)

I think this would help a lot with ensuring we have a working version of the game and greater developer interaction. One of the main problems I've seen so far is everything the "global" community says falls on deaf ears.

If we just had the Japanese version to begin with, but with a simple English patch, we wouldn't even be having 95% of our complaints. We just need servers in good locations for lag reasons.

My opinion is that we do not need to give politicians a platform to shut it all down.