Is NGS all open world or are there instances/raids too?

I absolutely love the idea of the open world aspect, but it can't be the WHOLE game. I'd love to know if there will be instanced areas that resemble the old ways of PSO as well. If I can't simply hop on and be alone or with just a friend if I'm not feeling the open world aspect, I should be able to do so.

Anyone have any info on this?

there are instances called cocoons - only been seeing 4 man ones tho - completing them gives you skill points (at least in cbt idk about the actual release and how things will work)

also the only available urgent quest right now is instance based (look at it like pso2 UQ)

Only thing instanced are Cacoons and Urgent Quests. Everything else in this game is open world.

While the world is open each zone is actually instanced itself as well. Either 32 man or 8 man, and you can swap between individual instances of a zone at the ryuker device.

It can be a bit of a pain in the ass going between areas with friends / party because more often than not itll throw you in separate instances as you cross the zone borders.

@Laep said in Is NGS all open world or are there instances/raids too?:

It can be a bit of a pain in the ass going between areas with friends / party because more often than not itll throw you in separate instances as you cross the zone borders.

You can enter the same room together using the ryuker device's "Room Transfer". It force teleports your whole party into the same instance as long as there's space.

Adding a password with "Also restrict other parties" into your party setting like in PSO2 also allows you to enter a zone with no one else, and the only way they can enter your instance would be to enter from a ryuker device's room transfer function if I'm not wrong. I didn't test the joining part of what I typed though so that one would be based on my own unconfirmed assumption, but I'm pretty sure of the part about entering a zone with no one else as I've been on Mount Magnus instances with no one for hours when I had that, and it only started filling when I changed it back to allow other parties.

Afaik the party separation only happens if it throws you into an instance that can't fit your whole party, so putting the "restrict other parties" into your party setting when zoneswapping will probably keep your whole party together [by entering a new empty instance]. Of course, this part is again, just my assumption and would require more testing or confirmation from others.

@JuggernautGTX said in Is NGS all open world or are there instances/raids too?:

there are instances called cocoons - only been seeing 4 man ones tho - completing them gives you skill points (at least in cbt idk about the actual release and how things will work)

also the only available urgent quest right now is instance based (look at it like pso2 UQ)

Just saying but in CBT when I went again to better my score and to complete the 5 enhanced enemies quest I noticed it never gave points after the first. So it might be like the usual "First Time Only" rewards.