PSO2NGS Graphics\Resolution issues

Please I need help I'm starting to loose my mind! I've had issues with this game on PC since PSO2 and gave up trying but with the NG beta I was hoping things would be different. I have never been able to get this game to display correctly on my PC. All I want is to run this in 4K resolution with text and windows I can actually read! No matter what settings I change the game always looks like garbage! I've tried changing settings in the launcher, I've tried editing the user PSO2 file in my documents but seems to make no difference! The game seems to insist on running in windowed mode ignoring if I select full screen or even change it in the user file manually. Also everything seems to be rendered in 480p! Although my display is outputting 3840x2160 the game seems to be internally rendering at a much MUCH lower resolution, making everything pixelated including character models and especially text which is small and unreadable and yes I have changed EVERYTHING manually in the user PSO2 file to 3840x2160 and even set the preferred scale to 2.2 which should make text nice and clear at 4k but makes no difference, every time I launch the game it looks exactly the same no matter what I change. I just want to enjoy this game on PC I thought PSO2NG might solve this! Its so frustrating can anyone help!

Yep, I'm legally blind and the game is borderline unplayable. This seems like the basics of game design at this point. Call it accessibility, call it customization, doesn't matter. This is something that should be simple to apply and functional out the gate.

I've been beating my head off my keyboard for the past day and still can't change anything. I would give them a pass for being beta, but like you said, it's been like this since pso2 proper.

If my brother and I find a way, I'll come back and let you know.

@one-wingedangel I posted yesterday having the same issues as you, no matter what I do graphics wont change from the lowest setting. Out of curiosity are you also using an alienware dell computer? Trying to figure out what is causing my issue.

Yeah, a friend of mine legit cannot play the game because of how busted the text scaling is in this game. If they can't play, I have no reason to play either. There needs to be WAY more scaleable UI than this. Not everybody has perfect 20/20 vision.

The Game UI does scale if you use 100% DPI but that's not how HiDPI displays designed to work. The game is not DPI aware and can not be force to since this CBT is Windows Store App and just ignores any windows compatibility settings.

Hard to believe this is a release of 2021 as 3D games are natively DPI flexible automatically and the only thing they need to do is just set the main exe with correct manifest/dpi awareness flag and test it.

@YellowCowboy said in PSO2NGS Graphics\Resolution issues:

@one-wingedangel I posted yesterday having the same issues as you, no matter what I do graphics wont change from the lowest setting. Out of curiosity are you also using an alienware dell computer? Trying to figure out what is causing my issue.

Funny story, right now, I'm using a PC I built myself which should have no problems (10900K, RTX2080ti, 64gb RAM, etc) but before that I had an Alienware laptop and had the EXACT same problems. I had the laptop and my current PC hooked up to 65" OLED. The only thing I can think is the problem is that I'm trying to run it in 4K but since the game insists in running in windowed mode resolution is kind of pointless (especially as the game engine seems to be rendering at 480p no matter what!)

@MikeZTMZ said in PSO2NGS Graphics\Resolution issues:

The Game UI does scale if you use 100% DPI but that's not how HiDPI displays designed to work. The game is not DPI aware and can not be force to since this CBT is Windows Store App and just ignores any windows compatibility settings.

Hard to believe this is a release of 2021 as 3D games are natively DPI flexible automatically and the only thing they need to do is just set the main exe with correct manifest/dpi awareness flag and test it.

I've tried forcing this by right clicking the PSO2 executable and forcing the DPI scaling in the compatibility tab but makes no difference as you say, the problem is not only is the interface clearly running in a lower res making text unreadable but the game engine is too. All the 3D models and world detail looks like its being rendered in 480p and I've manually changed the 3D render resolution in the user PSO file, its like the game ignores it. I know its an older game but its like its determined to run the game at toaster PC settings

@one-wingedangel

I figure out that Windows Store App totally ignores compatibility settings (those settings are stored in registry and only used when running the exe file from traditional ways). You can clearly see this from TaskManager if you select DPI awareness column.

Just copy the game to another folder and run the laucher exe file directly with forced Application DPI compatibility settings you will see "Per-Monitor" instead of "DPI Unaware" in that column (and the UI becomes tiny).

Xbox login will not work as it need store app mode so you can not play the game this way but it opens up the possibility for future steam version.

Another bad news is even in this mode the game does not provide high resolution fonts.

Funny fact: if you change DPI with the game open it actually changes resolution on-the-fly. That's how a modern engine goes into wrong developers hands.

BTW the config file is in fact working. Just almost all readable settings are for PSO2 not NGS. Those ConfigId_016 = 1, ConfigId_115 = 0, things are the ones for NGS and you have to toggle in game settings to see which one is for which one.

I also having the same issue of cannot adjust the resolution even though my laptop spec is capable of running this game on at least "high" resolution, but the game does not seem to want to utilize my resource. I have already updated my window to the newest version, direct X and also my graphic driver, so these should not be the case.

When I opened the Graphic Overlay, it showed that NGS utilized 0% of GPU which looked like the game did not recognize my graphic card.

186480988_1996344067199757_3232039001358713549_n.jpg

186968228_1996311633869667_7159506276817323472_n.jpg

186543026_1996311627203001_8429922174078711422_n.jpg

@KaishiYume Your CPU has an integrated GPU. You can normally disable that in Device Manager so it forces the game to use your NVIDIA GPU. You might also be able to use your BIOS to disable the Integrated Graphics.

This post is deleted!
This post is deleted!

@Ragnawind thank you for your kind response. I tried it and still didn't work. NGS still ignore the other graphic card I have and decided to run my laptop has nothing which is worse.

@KaishiYume Try downloading the NVidia Control Panel app. You can use that to set your graphics card on an app by app basis. You should be able to grab it from the Microsoft Store. That's what I do for my Surface Book.

Fixed

I need to just go into Windows' "Graphics settings" in the settings app and set NGS to use the high performance GPU.

Thanks to Sonickyle27 from reddit.

@MikeZTMZ

@MikeZTMZ said in PSO2NGS Graphics\Resolution issues:

@one-wingedangel

I figure out that Windows Store App totally ignores compatibility settings (those settings are stored in registry and only used when running the exe file from traditional ways). You can clearly see this from TaskManager if you select DPI awareness column.

Just copy the game to another folder and run the laucher exe file directly with forced Application DPI compatibility settings you will see "Per-Monitor" instead of "DPI Unaware" in that column (and the UI becomes tiny).

Xbox login will not work as it need store app mode so you can not play the game this way but it opens up the possibility for future steam version.

Another bad news is even in this mode the game does not provide high resolution fonts.

Funny fact: if you change DPI with the game open it actually changes resolution on-the-fly. That's how a modern engine goes into wrong developers hands.

BTW the config file is in fact working. Just almost all readable settings are for PSO2 not NGS. Those ConfigId_016 = 1, ConfigId_115 = 0, things are the ones for NGS and you have to toggle in game settings to see which one is for which one.

I've given up at this point. I've worked out if I go to scaling settings in windows (I'm currently set at 300%) and put it to 100% it solves one problem but creates another. Windows is now unusable because everything is now microscopic on a 65" screen, however the game engine now seems to render correctly in 4K. Character models and world detail no longer look like a 480p render being upscaled. However, the interface (menus, text etc) is now even smaller, microscopic just like the windows desktop. Which again just enforces the fact that even though I changed the config file to fullscren=true and virtual fullscreen=false its still displaying in windowed mode. I has hoping with NGS beta the developers would have updated the launcher and general game system but its clearly built on the same 10 year old foundation and its clear they have no intention of updating to accommodate more modern displays so I'm not wasting any more time with it. Oh and FYI I had the exact same problems when trying to play PSO2 on steam, so I'm not holding out hope that steam will solve the problem.