Serious concerns about the future of NGS

Sounds like op is undergeared. With around 7 people with clowned a vet daityl in 15min.

Even in character creation there are a lot of inconsistencies: When you have the sliders for changing certain things like make-up opacity, they are only movable when you use the "NG" styles, then when you switch face style to the "PSO2" style, the sliders are stuck and you cant change them. But guess what? The opacity actually does change. So if I want a "PSO2" make up but softer, I just gotta move the slider w/ the "NG" one and swap back... ahh.... Also a lack of saving the customization file or an undo/redo option would be nice.

Game play wise I miss having the "main ship" rather than an "open park" (that's what it feels like). I don't mind the maps and environment, but I miss picking a mission and being on a ship for deployment.. The mob HP is so hit or miss, too. And the jump/walljump thing is starting to get super annoying when it isn't controllable that well. A toggle for walk/run would be nice, too.

I'm super excited for this game, but it's going to be tough to match up to PSO2 (for me personally anyways).

@QuiteFan4505920 the jump is pretty easy to control just tap to do the jump and to glide hold the jump button after the double jump, the wall jump will only happen if you are gliding.

@QuiteFan4505920 Have you tried just turning off auto walljump? I'm actually having the opposite problem. Tons of terrain that I should be able to wall jump on by the look of it, but it just doesn't register until I move over a bit and try it again.

@Jamesmor Is that on auto? I'm pretty sure I can do jump->wall jump->double jump->glide.

Anyone know if there's a limit to how many times you can wall jump in one go? Would make sense if I'm actually triggering a landing for a split second on the tricky terrain.

@AiC-L you can only do 1 wall jump then you need to land in order to do it again and you can trigger the glide with 1 jump but I don't recommend doing it to not get lost but yes is automatic when you are gliding and sometimes using photon run but only happens if the terrain is irregular

I'm not too impressed with NGS myself.

I started playing the PSO series because I was tired of the cookie-cutter MMO format of getting "quests" from NPCs and going out to an area and killing some enemies, and also going to areas to "grind" mindlessly. PSO was fun because there were various hand-crafted quests and dungeons to progress through and farm things, while being able to get better at doing so whether through gameplay or equipment upgrades over time.

However, it seems to me that NGS is another open-world cookie-cutter MMO, just with action RPG gameplay. The fact that it's a beta and "doesn't have content yet" really doesn't apply here, because what are they gonna change from now to release that would fundamentally change this loop, considering they've made a massive open world? Betas are also used to market games as a "demo" of sorts, and all betas have the core gameplay as part of it, they're meant to in order to leave a good impression.

The combat is also pretty bad, what kind of design decision is it to give everyone a step counter, but it's not possible to use it properly in your toolkit because every attack has huge commits and cannot be cancelled? I played the Twisted of Hatred UQ earlier today and the base combat on PSO2 flows so much better and is much more enjoyable.

I'll have to see what the game is like on release, but right now I don't have high hopes for this game for myself, in its current state it is not a game I would enjoy at all.

The only thing that I did not like, is that they removed details from the body and replaced them with shadows (basically tattoos). Regarding the content, I do not worry yet, since it is just a beta

Deleted.

The bosses take so long because you're not using a 3 star weapon with at least +10 unlock + potential, and are probably using bare units without even as much as might 1 + anything else. The bosses definitely scale based on only the nearby players, I have already killed enough veterans solo. It seems it's the very average case of players judging difficulty far too early not to realize a HP nerf would make everything a joke even to the very complainers, once they see what exactly they are doing wrong.

@Matt

The commitment is fine. I don't think in the first place ranged attack classes should be beholden to the counter too much. It seems much less powerful than counter attacks on melee type classes. Melee type classes on the other hand have such powerful counters that you simply are entirely satisfied with using normal attacks as your DPS during tells or when enemy is acting. I am mostly playing Sword in the beta and generally I have no problems with finding enough openings for any of the 3 PAs it has. It seems to be using very similar design to PSO2 at the very beginning. Despite everyone having some kind of step counter ratk is supposed to be worse off under aggro than satk, and tatk is supposed to be the worst at handling aggro. Melee counters are very overpowered while other classes are probably better off getting damage out of PAs/Techs while outside of hitboxes. Though I do find Force better off relatively close at times due to the PP recovery from the guard action.

Sword in particular is actually very sane continuation of the weapon in PSO2. Even there you would never want to overcommit to a PA because Blaze Parry is hiding most of your DPS and it carries a significant time lag to use by cancelling out of a PA.

Well I do think they're a bit spongey, everyone is also running around with gear noob fresh gear and an incomplete skill set. While my damage numbers raise slowly, the fact is I'm doing drastically more than I was doing at level 1, and I'm at level 10 now.

I've also been properly exploiting enemy weakness, which at times stuns the boss and lets people go wild. This has helped cut down boss kill time a lot.

PSO2 has gotten way too easy and now people are a bit spoiled. If everyone was properly geared and at least near level 13 or so, bosses wouldn't take so much time. It's a lot to expect in 24 hours of a CBT.

@Amari-Kigu said in Serious concerns about the future of NGS:

First off, let me mention I've played almost every single MMO since 1997, I've seen what works and what has not. PSO2:NGS will fail harshly if the game releases as is and definitely a lot of issues are needed to be addressed, and I'll try to be as specific as possible with what I've currently seen. What I can honestly gather, is this is heavily pushed into the realms of grouping and solo seems to be an afterthought - bearing in mind though, this is cbt and most likely missing a massive amount of weapons and gear that could make these issues a moot point.

This is something I'm going to add too as I play more classes, so far I've only played Techer to level 9.

techer is the only class that i didn play - is it really that bad in terms of dmg? multi weapon with fighter or anything doesn help?

Slash the HP of all enhanced, dread monsters and bosses by at least 50%. The initial talks of how much HP overworld monsters have wasn't a joke, it gets BORING fast. Spending 30 - 40 minutes killing a veteran Daityl Sword

killed several vets with 6-8 people in about 6-10 mins each (according to my cooldowns kindaish) i think thats intended - with 32 man parties they get stomped in 2 max 4 minutes not even joking

however you mentioned that youre lv 9 and probably not geared - ofc itll take longer...as soon as youre geared those vets gonna melt

Double Jumping and Soaring is annoying

yup the most annoying thing in pso2 ngs - i want flying mounts

Seriously worried about towers....That are not scaled for solo players?

wait...isn the tower scaled for solo players? had no issues to clear it in time

Class balance, also very worried about balance. PSO2 was extremely unbalanced and everyone knows it, NGS needs to have some effort made to balance out the classes, can't really say much about the balance at the moment since its early days but this has always been a major concern.

well ranger feels overpowered right now compared to other classes - superior in multi target enemies - superior in UQ (those piercing shots hitting for 800+ each if aimed correctly feels damn good) and ive tested most classes except tech- force feels lackluster or even super bad sometimes but i am not a force user in the old pso2 and prob never will be in ngs either so i might be just bad with it

@JuggernautGTX said in Serious concerns about the future of NGS:

well ranger feels overpowered right now compared to other classes - superior in multi target enemies - superior in UQ (those piercing shots hitting for 800+ each if aimed correctly feels damn good) and ive tested most classes except tech- force feels lackluster or even super bad sometimes but i am not a force user in the old pso2 and prob never will be in ngs either so i might be just bad with it

Ra is certainly good mechanically, but it feels kinda bad compared to the old Ra. Everything is too smooth and slippery. The WA doesn't feel like an evade so much as just a casual slide sideways. No real bursts of speed or power in the animations aside from the one exception with the shotgun, but that has the actual shot feel like it's just a little flashlight with the sound and visuals on the projectile. It's like games where you can freely move while using melee attacks, making it feel like there's no real damage behind them. Even the Slideburst-like PA's finishing shot just kinda casually flings you to the side instead of being a snappy burst. I get that it's supposed to be providing mobility and fluidity, but it makes Ra feel like playing Wand Et. You just kinda float around casually firing death beams, but at least Et had the visuals to back it. Heck, NGS Fo feels more aggressive with the Rod normals. Massive improvement over the swinging-a-log-underwater from vanilla. Would be nice if Ra's homing shots had the same feature as Fo casting where repeating it has different animations instead of just the same indentical spin always.

I do like the uncharged version of the mini positron though. Piercing Shell looks a little better spamming in midair, but they nailed it if that's supposed to be the equivalent of a quick snappy burst. PB is also much improved over SatCan. Hoping stuff feels like it has more weight to it in the final product. The Launcher previews have me hopeful, since that felt like a massive improvement over the vanilla version.

Would also be really nice if equipping a rifle/camo with different ammo (lasers, bullets, electricity, magic shards...) actually changed more PA sounds and visuals.

@Matt said in Serious concerns about the future of NGS:

The combat is also pretty bad, what kind of design decision is it to give everyone a step counter, but it's not possible to use it properly in your toolkit because every attack has huge commits and cannot be cancelled? I played the Twisted of Hatred UQ earlier today and the base combat on PSO2 flows so much better and is much more enjoyable.

It was already announced that the cancel timing for all weapons is gonna be revised in the launch version (though, I think it'll still be harder to cancel out of attacks than PSO2).

While canceling out of attacks does need to be easier, personally I don't think not being able to cancel out of attacks as easily as in PSO2 as a bad thing, to me it means the player is punished for picking the wrong PA at the wrong time.

well as far as techer goes...doesn seem to be a bad choice as main class

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IalavtA1SE0

The one thing I would mention that bothers me is locking content behind combat power. Sure, you need good stats to run content, but making mandatory benchmarks, and poor stat scaling will just lead NGS down the same path as say Maplestory 2. Maplestory 2 had a very similar combat power benchmark requirement for dungeons and bosses, and those dungeons were usually given weekly limits which ultimately doomed the game, and killed off the playerbase. As I played the beta, and fought some of the bosses, including the Urgent Quest bosses, the experience felt exactly the same.

I expect if this system is kept, the future will look pretty bleak for bossing or running Urgents. Not only will there be Mandatory Benchmarks, or limits on how often you can do said content, but for late-game players there's the possibility of running the same content and having your stats scaled down to the bosses level which will make the grind to kill it, much more grindier despite your hard-earned effort to grow in game. This is what I expect will happen, just my speculation.