Translation Error: Risa / Lisa

The NPC overall indicates Risa, but in one of the quest that she gives, the description says "Lisa" in quest "Time for a trip to the Volcanic Cave"

It says Lisa for all of her client orders. So it's just a large oof in general.

Lisa is supposed to be her appropriate English name, as in Japanese, "L" isn't used in pronunciation, instead they use R. There are exceptions to this rule. For English-Only (or any other country's language) words and spelling, or in special one-syllable names/etc.

@coldreactive said in Translation Error: Risa / Lisa:

Lisa is supposed to be her appropriate English name, as in Japanese

That's not really justifying the bad spelling between the teams. Because if you look at Oracle anime, they stick with Risa and most of the translations are Risa. If they wanted to stick with Lisa, then they should have done so. But they didn't.

So this needs to be fixed since this is an error between translation team due to spelling.

If this is some fan translation team, then I'd just shrug it off. But this is official game.

@LapisWave said in Translation Error: Risa / Lisa:

That's not really justifying the bad spelling between the teams. Because if you look at Oracle anime, they stick with Risa and most of the translations are Risa. If they wanted to stick with Lisa, then they should have done so. But they didn't.

So this needs to be fixed since this is an error between translation team due to spelling.

If this is some fan translation team, then I'd just shrug it off. But this is official game.

The anime and this game are handled by two completely different companies and their translations should NOT be compared. SEGA has NO involvement with the anime localizations. Those are handled soley by Funimation and Sentai Filmworks.

@Ragnawind said in Translation Error: Risa / Lisa:

The anime and this game are handled by two completely different companies and their translations should NOT be compared. SEGA has NO involvement with the anime localizations. Those are handled soley by Funimation and Sentai Filmworks.

That still doesn't justify the poor translation between Risa and Lisa in the game. It needs to be fixed regardless and stick with one name. It's an official game, not a fan translation. Which means it's common sense that "Oh Risa and Lisa are same thing because one name pronounces the other are same" is not the best excuse. You don't see other MMORPG games getting letters wrong between translations.

You don't see other MMORPG games getting letters wrong between translations.

IGG MMORPGs, X-Legend Developed MMORPGs, and early Nexon:

alt text

Though I can't really blame IGG, considering their entire staff is based in China, including their translations to English. I can blame Nexon, considering they had a 6 month wait period on support tickets for Mabinogi.

Lisa is supposed to be her appropriate English name, as in Japanese, "L" isn't used in pronunciation, instead they use R. There are exceptions to this rule. For English-Only (or any other country's language) words and spelling, or in special one-syllable names/etc.

Just to add - She introduces herself as Risa in every cutscene and voiced section in the story. So in this case Lisa should not be there in her client orders at all.

I can blame Nexon

I don't even talk about Nexon as much because they are just poor at everything. But games like BDO/FF14 had always been on point when it came down to translations and getting their mispellings on point when it is mentioned or reported.

Since it is -beta- , it is player's job to report these texts that were misplaced.

@Ragnawind said in Translation Error: Risa / Lisa:

So two different and unrelated companies decided to translate DAAKA or D-ARKER (original oficial localization) as Falspawn by pure coincidence?