Concern regarding my choice for Phantom Katana

@TEN-SQUARE-3 I believe based on the majority of the content, learning from UQs/triggers like tpd for bossing or cradle or lament for mobbing can teach you much more than endless for other content. What you learn about your class in endless usually stays in endless.

In team mpa you usually do get a techter and there is always an option of non-crit sga like augment will, photonic will, two-edged strike, axiom will, to minimize the damage loss for non-crit attacks. Also, this is assuming you dont have the s6 and with 250 PP. I would definitely farm my ass off to get that s6 if I don't have it yet. Also, this loss of crit has nothing to do with comparison between rod and katana, katana always falls short in damage unless its handicapped, pp is just a katana's problem which can be overcome with this s5, and there are alternate ways of getting crit rate. Also, the difference between petal + precision vs aug will 2, full crit, s4 escalating, s7 fortified atk 2 is negligible, their damage difference is below 1%. (And aug will 2 build allows you to use more weapons than just katana)

Again, by all means, dont use katana in endless, rod and rifle re very fast and better at endless mobbing than katana. As for the UH, that logic is flawed. I can make a video of me doing cradle with katana and your argument will no longer be valid. Ofcourse it would have to be a satisfactory video and since that is what I claim: katana is good at mobbing at UH, I believe I will be able to pull it off. Regardless, a lot of people don't play ph katana and hence don't bother making a katana for themselves. It is mostly rods or rifles yes. Hence they continue to mob with what is available. Am I saying rod & rifle's mobbing is bad? Not at all, some of the best in game. Does ph katana surpass them at mobbing at UH? Yes it does (though its an unpopular opinion)

The numbers I provided: 4 pops on katana on a long run vs 3 pops on rod on a long run, 3 pops on katana with a good run, 2 pops on rod in a good run. Also if you focus more on building gear you lose out on damage. Generally you still wanna keep spamming relative elemental techs based on masks, rabarta on double mask is 1 think to quicken the gauge fast yes.

PS: Lord of Thorn does not affect gear accumulation

@Kan said in Concern regarding my choice for Phantom Katana:

@TEN-SQUARE-3 I believe based on the majority of the content, learning from UQs/triggers like tpd for bossing or cradle or lament for mobbing can teach you much more than endless for other content. What you learn about your class in endless usually stays in endless.

In team mpa you usually do get a techter and there is always an option of non-crit sga like augment will, photonic will, two-edged strike, axiom will, to minimize the damage loss for non-crit attacks. Also, this is assuming you dont have the s6 and with 250 PP. I would definitely farm my ass off to get that s6 if I don't have it yet. Also, this loss of crit has nothing to do with comparison between rod and katana, katana always falls short in damage unless its handicapped, pp is just a katana's problem which can be overcome with this s5, and there are alternate ways of getting crit rate. Also, the difference between petal + precision vs aug will 2, full crit, s4 escalating, s7 fortified atk 2 is negligible, their damage difference is below 1%. (And aug will 2 build allows you to use more weapons than just katana)

Again, by all means, dont use katana in endless, rod and rifle re very fast and better at endless mobbing than katana. As for the UH, that logic is flawed. I can make a video of me doing cradle with katana and your argument will no longer be valid. Ofcourse it would have to be a satisfactory video and since that is what I claim: katana is good at mobbing at UH, I believe I will be able to pull it off. Regardless, a lot of people don't play ph katana and hence don't bother making a katana for themselves. It is mostly rods or rifles yes. Hence they continue to mob with what is available. Am I saying rod & rifle's mobbing is bad? Not at all, some of the best in game. Does ph katana surpass them at mobbing at UH? Yes it does (though its an unpopular opinion)

The numbers I provided: 4 pops on katana on a long run vs 3 pops on rod on a long run, 3 pops on katana with a good run, 2 pops on rod in a good run. Also if you focus more on building gear you lose out on damage. Generally you still wanna keep spamming relative elemental techs based on masks, rabarta on double mask is 1 think to quicken the gauge fast yes.

PS: Lord of Thorn does not affect gear accumulation

While that is all true you can use different S augs, they all generally have conditions to them like taking extra damage or needing to be above a certain health. Of course if you have 300pp all this would mute has you would have 100% crit anyway. But the fact you need really high end gear to fully get around the pp issue, kind of proves the disadvantage the katana has.

The difference between aug will 2 build and petal + precise balance is around 5%. So here’s the build with the numbers.

Augment will build

S1 Augment will 2 6% S2 Prrcision will 2 4% S3 Precision will 2 5% S4 Escalating Pursuit (250k every 14 seconds, which equals 17.8k a second, and that’s presuming the boss doesn’t fly off or go into a cutscene during your 4 second window) S5 skillfull adept/finishing blow both give 2% S6 skillfull adept S7 fort attack 2 (this gives slightly more than targeted aggression when fully buffed so it’s slightly more than 1%) Phase decay 5% So 23% in total plus the Escalating pursuit

Petal build

S1 petalgleam 3% S2 Rainbow will 5% S3 peteslsea song 2 7% S4 Precise Balance 6% (this affects your attacks, mag damage, counters and marks) S5 skillfull adept 2% S6 skillfull adept S7 Rainbow Adept Phase decay 5% So 28% in total, though you do need 300pp for this build and it takes about 15 seconds to reach full power, so can only be used on runs when you’re not really swapping weapons.

The petal build is a lot stronger than the other build on bosses, my run time against Sodam is quite a bit faster using the petal build.

I’ll take you up on that statement, pick an UH run you want, run it solo, record it, and I’ll see if I can beat it. We will have to declare our gear has it’s probably different and will need to be taken into account.

Lord of thorns does affect gear accumulation cause the more points you have in it the slower your marks accumulate. Here’s not something many people realise about phantom, your tech’s, pa’s and counters suffer from diminishing returns for gear accumulation. So basically the more you use a specific skill the less it fills the gear gauge, but this is reset every time you detonate a max marker. Which is why you want to use as many different skills as possible and detonate max markets to stop your gear from stalling. Also why putting points in the lord of thorns is not always the best idea, it depends on the content and the weapons you’re going to be using.

Edit: not sure what happened with my lists there

Just say that you also Naruto run and go, Phantom katana is a joke

@TEN-SQUARE-3 For Shiva I would admit, countering with rod is alot easier with gigrants, meanwhile katana has to do a normal/PA and shiva is a counter spam boss and counter bullets do give a lot of gear. Just did a run myself and after 2 of her shields, managed to get ph time off at 1:33 time left.

As for escalating build, escalating is roughly equivalent to 4.5% damage dealt when comparing s4. If this is just additive calculation, that sums up to be 27.5%. Also, fortified attack up 2 is a bit higher than 1% so that brings these both builds close enough to be within 1% of a difference.

I said about the recording thing as an example. I would record my runs but on my PC its hard enough as it is to run the game with decent settings, using a recording software on top of just doesn't work out for me (I have tried it in the past). We could potentially meet up in game, head to risk exploration and roam to find mob emergency trial with damage count as its ranking criteria, but my gear in global is quite sub-par (I currently dont have a katana better than a croesus on me). I have seen myself as a katana user on top 3 of the list quite often in 12 man runs.

The lord of thorn thing is quite new to me. I thought that concept only existed on Hero as it has a skill in its tree. Good to know.

The issue with Phantom Katana is that its kit is pretty bad overall. It has various places where it shines (it has by far the strongest counters of the 3 weapons, for example), but for the most part one of the other two weapons will do better, especially Rod. It has almost zero mobbing options, and 3 good single target options for different situations (Schmetterling for aerial tracking, Folter for PP efficiency and Rose for maximum DPS/gap closing). This makes it mostly a bossing weapon.

In the full Phantom's kit, I personally use Katana for Masquerade mainly, of all 3 weapons it is actually the strongest against him for sure due to the massive counter damage, but obviously Masquerade has the resist mechanic so it doesn't last for very long... Otherwise, Katana is just used for Phaleg, Anga and it is probably the optimal weapon for Berouge as well, although I need to do a little more testing in regards to this one.

What doesn't help Katana is that every Quick Cut PA is absolutely garbage, making Quick Cut a completely useless mechanic, as you never want to follow up with any of the shift PAs (plus their damage is also scaled down because of the damage of Quick Cut, and the regular PAs do more DPS than QC followed by a shift PA, great balance). Even the DoT one is completely worthless, because the damage is front-loaded for whatever reason completely getting rid of any reason to use it.

Also regarding the conversion above: Phantom Time is not really that great, being able to get faster Phantom Times does not really equate to a huge DPS increase. The main use of Phantom Time is to be able to burst specific things so you can break things, cause some skips, do larger AoEs, etc.

For a fun fact: The best Katana/Rifle Phantoms are actually the "Rod Mains".

Quick cut + Shift schmetterling is the mobbing combination, it has good controllable AOE, OP damage, is quite fast and costs no pp. Quick cut is useful in this way at least.

For Phantom time, I believe it does make up a decent percentage of your overall damage, perhaps around 4-5%? But true, its not significant enough to change the ranking of dps for ph.

Agreed to everything else there 👍

@TEN-SQUARE-3 For Shiva I would admit, countering with rod is alot easier with gigrants, meanwhile katana has to do a normal/PA and shiva is a counter spam boss and counter bullets do give a lot of gear. Just did a run myself and after 2 of her shields, managed to get ph time off at 1:33 time left.

As for escalating build, escalating is roughly equivalent to 4.5% damage dealt when comparing s4. If this is just additive calculation, that sums up to be 27.5%. Also, fortified attack up 2 is a bit higher than 1% so that brings these both builds close enough to be within 1% of a difference.

I said about the recording thing as an example. I would record my runs but on my PC its hard enough as it is to run the game with decent settings, using a recording software on top of just doesn't work out for me (I have tried it in the past). We could potentially meet up in game, head to risk exploration and roam to find mob emergency trial with damage count as its ranking criteria, but my gear in global is quite sub-par (I currently dont have a katana better than a croesus on me). I have seen myself as a katana user on top 3 of the list quite often in 12 man runs.

The lord of thorn thing is quite new to me. I thought that concept only existed on Hero as it has a skill in its tree. Good to know.

Yeah shiva is very counter spam happy. You only want to be using gigrants to fire off your counter shot when you can rapid fire like this, your counter doesn’t get JA timing with gigrants, so most of the time you are going to be using normal or other techs to fire it off.

The damage is definitely noticeable if you’re interested I can record a run of Sodam with both builds, if you are interested you will see the difference it’s definitely more than 1%.

We can meet up and play if you want, but yeah theirs not a lot of point doing a comparison unless out gear is fairly equal, but if you looking for someone to do runs with we can definitely meet up.

Yeah it’s not mentioned anywhere in game, which makes it basically a hidden mechanic I only found out from a guide when phantom first came out.

@Matt said in Concern regarding my choice for Phantom Katana:

Also regarding the conversion above: Phantom Time is not really that great, being able to get faster Phantom Times does not really equate to a huge DPS increase. The main use of Phantom Time is to be able to burst specific things so you can break things, cause some skips, do larger AoEs, etc.

For a fun fact: The best Katana/Rifle Phantoms are actually the "Rod Mains".

Phantom time is definitely no where as good has say forces compounds, but it’s still worth knowing the mechanics of it how to effectively build, especially when you can do it without sacrificing the dps of your regular attacks. It’s still free damage and has you said can still be useful in certain situations.

@tAnyone24

Rod is optimal choice for phantom because of how markers behave based on the weapon you're using. Rods build markers the fastest but have the weakest detonation damage while katana's have the strongest detonation but they build the marker the slowest. Rifle sits in the middle of these. Rod also doesn't suffer from PP regen issues like Katana does.

Rifle is the second pick for PH because of it's ease of use and relative safety. Katana damage is I think the weakest of the 3 but it's honestly so minor that it doesn't really matter. The main reason Katana PH is bagged on is because the amount of effort you have to put out in order to reach what rifle and rod can do is a turn off for many. PH katana requires a LOT of optimal positioning which will change up heavily dependent on the boss you fight. It also doesn't help that both rifle and rod have good boss damage and decent mobbing but Katana isn't great when it comes to mobbing.

If you don't plan on optimizing your gear and taking on some of the niche content that's actually some what of a challange then it really doesn't matter that you're playing katana PH. Here is a link to a YT video from a PSO2 vet that mains phantom. It's a long video but well worth the time. They have chapter links in it so if you really already understand the class basics you can skip to the part about katana if you like.

Azelyra Ph guide

@tAnyone24 The most simple comparison I can give you is class's best Sodam runs. Phantom's best is 8:55 using Rod. The best run of Katana is stuck at 11:00 as far as I know. For all intents and purposes Phantom is very much a Rod class with two side weapons you don't even need to pull out. Despite all of it Katana is just low powered but not unusable, and the bad times it pulls can be partially attributed to lack of Katana mains. Unfortunately the disparity between the two weapons does get worse when you try to compare general AoE capacity.

I won't say anything about mobbing at UH or more about katana anymore since I already laid out my points and no one has been able to counter it yet with logics or numbers, but I would say that calling katana's mobbing ability "bad" is an overkill. Sure generally katana is worst of the 3 weapons for mobbing, but is it "bad" at mobbing? It is not.

Also, Ph rifle has the fastest marker generation, as once you pop a purple, you get a blue one directly which is equivalent to like... 5 or more ilgrants (depending on LoT level). Consequently, it has the worst marker pop damage out of the 3. I believe marker pop damage of rod is actually the highest of the 3 but I'm not sure on that.

I like to keep katana and rifle on the same level when comparing dps, if not katana being higher than rifle, specially with s5 finishing blow. Regardless to answer OP: If you like playing ph katana, by all means continue playing it. It is fun, it is very viable, and you can still be among like top 5% damage dealers in your ship (not exactly but you get the point) but of course, if you are a dps person, it cannot reach the dps levels of rod and a lot of other classes (even rod falls short at class competitive tier). By no means is ph katana trash, it is powerful, it is more complex, it is hard to play. However, if you are to put this same amount of effort you will be putting into ph katana into ph rod, you would generally come out with better dmg. There is a dmg difference, but its not big enough to make it completely unviable (like wired lances for example)

I won't say anything about mobbing at UH or more about katana anymore since I already laid out my points and no one has been able to counter it yet with logics or numbers, but I would say that calling katana's mobbing ability "bad" is an overkill. Sure generally katana is worst of the 3 weapons for mobbing, but is it "bad" at mobbing? It is not.

I suppose it depends what you class as bad at mobbing, I just played around with both on UH Cradle with both rod and katana, I did all the spawns up until you defeat the gehl balls, and I was already 1:20 down using the katana compared to the rod, and considering it took me just over 2:00 mins on the rod that is significantly slower. I also had more favourable spawns with the katana has everything spawned at once with my katana run, where I had a couple of spawns with my rod that spawned only a few enemies at a time. The game itself even says it’s designed for individual enemies, but has you have mentioned no one providing numbers I’ve got some for you.

It takes 1.8 - 2.0 seconds to perform quick cut, shifted schmetterling, and for the following quick cut window to open. The variance being how quickly you perform quick cut once the window opens. All these following numbers were taken from weak spot hits on Rockbear.

Quick cut 200k, and your shifted schmet will hit each enemy twice for 173k and 95k, giving you a total of 467k. Even though quick cut will hit multiple enemies it has a very short range on it, and it’s very difficult to get 2 hits on every mob with schmet, the ones closest to you and the furthest away tend to only get 1 of the hits. But for the sake of keeping this is has simple as possible let’s presume you do everything flawlessly and activate quick cut instantly and hit every mob. This gives you 467k every 1.8 seconds.

Has you used gizonde earlier I use that has a comparison here, each cast hits for 325k, with a 0.5 Charge time and a 0.5 Casting time, which means you are hitting 325k every 1 second, again presuming you aren’t wasting any time over charging techs.

The one I really want to compare it too is gigrants it has a charge time of 1.8 seconds, and a casting animation of 0.5 seconds giving you a total of 2.3 seconds per cast. During the charge time you get 7x hits of 81k, and the final charge hit of 405k, giving you a total of 972k every 2.3 seconds, again presuming you aren’t wasting any time charging techs.

Let’s say all of these you do flawless for 18 seconds, has that fits nicely with the katana, that’s 467k x 10 giving 4.67 million. Gizonde thats 325k x 18 giving 5.85mil every 18 second. Gigrants is a bit tricker has 8 casts is 18.4 seconds, so we’ll take the final charged hit off the last cast. So that 972k x 8 - 405k, which gives 7.75mill every 18 seconds.

Has you can see even even in a perfect world the katana falls short in mobbing compared to the rod, and in reality your quick cut has a very short range when hitting mobs, you aren’t going to be able to land both your hits on every mob, and you have a very linear movement, you can turn to a certain extent but a lot of time mobs are spread out around you, so the linear movement of the katana pa is not ideal in a lot of cases.

Of course both gizonde and gigrants aren’t perfect either, gizonde tend to miss on smaller enemies that are moving, and the longer charge time on gigrants means you don’t always get the final charged hit off. But overall the rod outperforms the katana by a lot in mobbing.

@TEN-SQUARE-3 1st I will completely discard gigrants because how impractical it is in the majority of the situations. It leaves you vulnerable, doesn't cover ground fast, has small aoe.

My following calculations were done on rockbear's back. The reason I did not use the weak spot is that gizonde will always hit the weak spot while schmetter + qc combo will not, and practically, both of them won't always hit weak spots so to keep an equal footing without loss of generality, rb's back side is more suitable.

My weapons used are both Klauz Katana and Klauz Rod with Klauz katana having about 3% smaller multiplier than the rod. (S1: aug will 2 vs agressive will 2, S2: precision will 2 vs precision will 1) I did not use any buffs such as alliance tree, drinks or shifta.

Gizonde damage per cast: 121k + 1k additional hit. In a 20 second tally run, I managed to cast gizonde one of these times: 17, 16. Taking the average at 17 casts in 20 second, total time per cast: 1.18 seconds. DPS = 122k/1.18 = 103k

Quick cut: 89k, shift schmetter: roughly 67k + 36k = 103k, total = 192k. In a 20 second tally run, I managed to execute the combo roughly 11 times each tally. Total time per combo: 1.81 seconds. DPS = 192k/1.81 = 106k

And this is using a relatively weaker katana. Now lets talk about gizonde vs qc + schmetter aoe shall we. Gizonde doesn't work well when mobs are placed far away, or if the terrain is uneven, or how mobile the mobs are or the size of the mobs. It covers relatively larger aoe so thats its 1 pro. For qc + schmetter, uneven terrain, mobility or the size of the mobs is not a problem. For the mob spread, the quick cut is fast and has a large range for gap closing (almost a guaranteed hit) If the mob spread is moderate, not to spread out not too cramped, it's aoe is enough to cover for a good amount of mobs. Following up with schmetter, you can cast it in every direction after qc, all 360 degree. So you can do a qc on your 12 o' clock then start with schmetter abruptly at your 6 o'clock, ultimately covering a large unshared aoe which, unlike gizonde is also controllable (so if there are mobs in separate sides lined, you can neatly clear 1 line 1st and move to 2nd line, whereas gizonde would bounce between the 2 lines randomly). Also, I don't think you can miss schmetter's 2nd hit very easily, both are dealt in an instant, unless the mob just teleports at that exact frame or something.

If katana's mobbing is so great why do all these Endless records not use it for that? If your napkin math doesn't match reality you should first discard the napkin math before reality.

@TEN-SQUARE-3 1st I will completely discard gigrants because how impractical it is in the majority of the situations. It leaves you vulnerable, doesn't cover ground fast, has small aoe.

My following calculations were done on rockbear's back. The reason I did not use the weak spot is that gizonde will always hit the weak spot while schmetter + qc combo will not, and practically, both of them won't always hit weak spots so to keep an equal footing without loss of generality, rb's back side is more suitable.

My weapons used are both Klauz Katana and Klauz Rod with Klauz katana having about 3% smaller multiplier than the rod. (S1: aug will 2 vs agressive will 2, S2: precision will 2 vs precision will 1) I did not use any buffs such as alliance tree, drinks or shifta.

Gizonde damage per cast: 121k + 1k additional hit. In a 20 second tally run, I managed to cast gizonde one of these times: 17, 16. Taking the average at 17 casts in 20 second, total time per cast: 1.18 seconds. DPS = 122k/1.18 = 103k

Quick cut: 89k, shift schmetter: roughly 67k + 36k = 103k, total = 192k. In a 20 second tally run, I managed to execute the combo roughly 11 times each tally. Total time per combo: 1.81 seconds. DPS = 192k/1.81 = 106k

And this is using a relatively weaker katana. Now lets talk about gizonde vs qc + schmetter aoe shall we. Gizonde doesn't work well when mobs are placed far away, or if the terrain is uneven, or how mobile the mobs are or the size of the mobs. It covers relatively larger aoe so thats its 1 pro. For qc + schmetter, uneven terrain, mobility or the size of the mobs is not a problem. For the mob spread, the quick cut is fast and has a large range for gap closing (almost a guaranteed hit) If the mob spread is moderate, not to spread out not too cramped, it's aoe is enough to cover for a good amount of mobs. Following up with schmetter, you can cast it in every direction after qc, all 360 degree. So you can do a qc on your 12 o' clock then start with schmetter abruptly at your 6 o'clock, ultimately covering a large unshared aoe which, unlike gizonde is also controllable (so if there are mobs in separate sides lined, you can neatly clear 1 line 1st and move to 2nd line, whereas gizonde would bounce between the 2 lines randomly). Also, I don't think you can miss schmetter's 2nd hit very easily, both are dealt in an instant, unless the mob just teleports at that exact frame or something.

You go on about how no one has given you a logical reason or numbers of why rod is better at mobbing, then you go onto to proceed to just ignore it and then make up a whole bunch of stuff about rod.

I literally use gigrants everywhere without any issue, it has a decent aoe even in its uncharged hits, and then chargrd hit has an even bigger one. Pick any mobbing content you want UH, divide, endless, like anything at all and I’ll show how easy it is to use.

You can do the test with buffs, or with out, can do it on the weak spot or behind, it doesn’t change how the attacks scale, they all get the same multipliers when hitting the same spot. Also why do you have better S augs on your rod if your katana is your main weapon? I also used both Klauz weapons with the same affixes 8s with aug will 2, precision will 2 x2, skillfull adept, grands, GS, and phrase decay. The only difference is the S4 I had nullzone on mum rod, and photon V on my katana, but neither of these affect damage.

You are over charging your techs by a lot, which to be fair is very easy to do, it takes a lot of practise to not waste time on excess charging. At an average of 16 to 17 casts that an extra 0.2 seconds you are charging for, on a 0.5 charge time that’s an extra 40% you are holding the charge for. The times I gave you are are well documented, but here’s a video of me doing gizonde in the 20 second test. Unfortunately you can’t get the 20th hit in, cause the timer starts as soon as you push the button, and theirs a slight animation delay of her pushing the button, I tried to squeeze it in, but you can see I just missed it cause of that delay.

https://youtu.be/7rWvakvWQ6k

Terrain has very little effect on gizonde, it can rebound just about anywhere, the only issue it does have is hitting smaller mobile mobs, but in this case I wouldn’t use it anyway, I would something like gigrants zero or rababrta, or even another tech, despite your constant assertions gizonde is not the only viable aoe tech for phantom, it is actually one of the ones I use the least.

You do realise you don’t use these techs to position yourself with and phantom rod is one of the most mobile weapons in the game, possibly even the most mobile, theirs a whole range of skills that can be used. You have tech sprint charge which means you can literally run at all times, in any direction and is extremely useful to keep up with mobile enemies and keep in ideal range, this is the only skill in the game like this and can only be used with techs. Every other weapon you either have that awkward slow walk until you put your weapon away, or you have to do a side step and a jump to get around this. Then theirs llzonde that’s extremely fast and pierces through enemies, safoie zero when you need tracking, theirs Schwarze which is best used when you at the very limit of your lock on range, cause it allows you to teleport instantly to the spot you are locked onto. It actually works very similar to quick cut, except it can be used whenever and not just on a specific point of a pa, then theirs eisenflugel which while it is a niche use, cause most of the time one of the other three will get the job done but it allows you shoot out a tail, and cast a tech from were ever you stop it, and you can still repositions yourself while you use it too. The times the mobs really are positioned in such a way that the techs aren’t optimal, that’s what the rifle is for as it has very long range piercing damage, and a wider close spread of damage with klugen.

You say gigrants has a small aoe, but then you talk about how big the aoe is on the quick cut hit, which is much smaller than even the uncharged hits of gigrants and only goes directly in front of you. So unless the mobs are literally stacked on top of each other most aren’t going to get hit by the quick cut. For schmet Its the mobs you are right in top off and the mobs right at the end of the animation that tend to only get one hit. Yes you can go in any direction but again it’s very linear, most of the time the mobs aren’t lined up neatly like that, theirs some that are like that and that movement would be very useful then, but most of the time they are circled around you.