NGS on Steam news: Client update and new achievements!

Two hours ago, PSO2 on Steam gained 10 new achievements! These are almost certainly for New Genesis, which gives us effective confirmation of a few reasonable expectations but these two in particular:

1. NGS should be available on Steam, likely at launch. (This is a nail in the coffin of unlikely Microsoft Store NGS exclusivity.)

2. NGS on Steam should be a client update to the existing app ID rather than a separately-listed title.

A quick look at the publicly-available metadata of these achievements (via SteamDB) shows that all 10 of these achievements lack names or icons at the moment. Of course the icons wouldn't reveal much since those of PSO2 were segments of character artwork and NGS may continue that pattern.

But six of the ten do have API names that both effectively confirms their use for New Genesis and hints at their nature:

• CHANGE_NGS_MAIN
  • GRIND_ITEM_MULTI_WEAPON
  • JOIN_PARTY_NGS
  • PSE_BURST_NGS_OCCURRED
  • KILL_GD_BOX
  • KILL_GD_DRA

For the most part these are self-explanatory, and the first three are likely to be simple parts of the regular gameplay loop as we saw in PSO2 (changing your main class, grinding a multi-weapon and joining a party). I admit I've not watched enough CBT 2 footage to know if PSE Bursts were known but this is either a confirmation or a reveal of PSE Bursts returning in NGS.

The KILL_GD achievements are a little more vague though. I imagine _BOX is just the NGS equivalent of breaking a (red) rare container. _DRA though? Maybe there'll be a rare dragon enemy along the lines of Tagamikazuchi which prior to Bonus quests only appeared randomly? But it may be tricky to make conclusions for those since PSO2 always had wacky API names they probably reused from the PSN names in Japan - like KILL_SPIDER for defeating a Dark Ragne. 🤣

@Miraglyth said in NGS on Steam news: Client update and new achievements!:

I admit I've not watched enough CBT 2 footage to know if PSE Bursts were known but this is either a confirmation or a reveal of PSE Bursts returning in NGS.

Yeah, PSE bursts were known (announced on prologue 1) and they were in both CBTs, if I'm not mistaken they can happen in battle areas (8 player areas).

@Ezodagrom said in NGS on Steam news: Client update and new achievements!:

PSE bursts were known (announced on prologue 1)

How about that! I watched the first half on my phone during lunch while Christmas shopping and the second half after getting home, but I stopped right before that part and resumed right after. 😅 Besides a slide mention I missed, the PSE gauge on the map HUD (too small to read on a mobile screen) disappeared right after that skip and didn't reappear for the remainder of Prologue 1. That's funny.

@Miraglyth Very interesting, thank you for sharing this. Just a random thought, my guess is that "GD" stands for Guardian DOLL (or something starts with G), which we have to defeat to step into a new region.

@Ezodagrom Yes, they happen in combat sectors.

https://ngs.pso2.com/cbt/manual/battle/region

It's great to have a formal English manual in a case like this 😃