Can i use Steam account on NGS?

I can use my steam account and get the rewards for participate on CBT? i need download the Phantasy Star 2 Normal version on Microsoft or other download link will be availabe after CBT starts?

no. CBT is MS Store exclusive with a separate client. Official release will have NGS part of the original client.

@All_PINK As Ragnawind said, the beta is gonna be MS store exclusive, and it's unknown how the rewards will work but it's likely that the rewards will be linked to the MS account, so to receive the rewards in your Steam account it's very likely that you will need to link your Steam and MS PSO2 accounts, which unfortunately needs both Steam and MS Store versions to be installed:

If you’d like to begin using the Xbox One or Windows 10 platform to play PSO2 and want to link your Steam account:

• From the Support Menu within the Start Menu of the Steam platform of PSO2, select the option to issue an account-linking code. This code will expire after 15 minutes.
  • After launching PSO2 on Windows 10 or Xbox One, select your Ship and then enter the code from the previous step. Please be careful: you can only use this code when setting up your account on a new platform for the first time. Do not create a new character/set up a Player ID before linking your account.
  • Success! The operative can now play using the same PSO2 save data on either their Xbox Live or Steam account.

After the link is done, the MS store version can be uninstalled, since the beta should use its own client.

On another note, the full release of NGS in June is going to be simultaneous in all platforms (including Steam).

@Ezodagrom You may still need to have/log-in to the MS Store client to claim the Beta prizes, though, since they were "earned on the MS Store version."

@AndrlCh I don't think so, once the accounts are linked, most likely the rewards will be retrievable anywhere.

@Ezodagrom said in Can i use Steam account on NGS?:

@AndrlCh I don't think so, once the accounts are linked, most likely the rewards will be retrievable anywhere.

That's not how it works. Even if you buy in-game currency, you can only claim it by logging in and claiming it on the specific store front where the currency was purchased from its store. Even with the Steam, Epic, and current MS Store exclusive campaigns, whether connected or not, you are required to log-in to the account that earned the reward in order to claim it.

@Ragnawind Currency and performing actions to participate in a campaign are different from retrieving items from a campaign after the required actions have already been performed.

For example, The MS store exclusive campaign, some of the rewards are only going to be distributed on May 26th, I'm pretty sure that players that installed the MS store version and achieved the requirements for those rewards will be able to retrieve them on the Steam or Epic platforms (if they linked their accounts, of course). The rewards from the beta should be the exact same situation as this.

I did the requirements for those May 26th MS store rewards and uninstalled the MS store version afterwards, in a few weeks I'll see if I can retrieve them in the Steam version or not (I'm pretty sure I can).

pretty sure you are going to need the MS Store version of PSO2 to claim the beta rewards since I am sure it works like the recent Windows 10/Xbox One login and featured campaign we had recently since even if the accounts are linked such things will most likely require login to the service version that the campaign was ran on so in this case the beta is on the MS Store hence the need for the MS Store version of PSO2 when the rewards are distributed.

@YagyuChan The recent MS store campaigns, it's only the requirements that needed to be done in the MS store version, the rewards could be claimed in any platform as long as the account is linked.

Basically this was possible to do:

• do the requirements in the MS store version (such as X recommended quests)
  • claim the rewards through the visiphone in the Steam version

The beta should be no different from this.

@AndrlCh said in Can i use Steam account on NGS?:

@Ezodagrom You may still need to have/log-in to the MS Store client to claim the Beta prizes, though, since they were "earned on the MS Store version."

@YagyuChan said in Can i use Steam account on NGS?:

pretty sure you are going to need the MS Store version of PSO2 to claim the beta rewards since I am sure it works like the recent Windows 10/Xbox One login and featured campaign we had recently since even if the accounts are linked such things will most likely require login to the service version that the campaign was ran on so in this case the beta is on the MS Store hence the need for the MS Store version of PSO2 when the rewards are distributed.

I know this is an old topic, but, since some of the MS Store campaign rewards were only distributed today, I can now prove that the MS Store campaign rewards can be claimed just fine from the Steam version (I uninstalled the MS Store version weeks ago):

alt text

...but you still have to log in to the MS store version or xbox to claim game pass perks...

@PrsnOfDsntrst There's a difference between fufilling the requirements and claiming the rewards of a campaign.

The MS store campaign that I mentioned above:

• fulfilling the requirements - clearing 7 recommended quests and receive the present box at the end while logged in the MS store/XBox version.
  • claiming the rewards - the rewards for these were only distributed today, weeks after the campaign took place, but as long as the requirements above were fulfilled, claiming the rewards can be done in any of the linked platforms. Logging into the MS store/XBox version was only needed to fulfill the requirements, not to claim the rewards.

Gamepass campaign:

• fulfilling the requirements - logging in the MS store/XBox version after obtaining gamepass.
  • claiming the rewards - While I can't test this myself, I'm not going to buy gamepass to prove a point, I'm pretty sure claiming the rewards for this can also be done in any of the linked platforms. Most players would just claim them in the MS store/XBox version during the required login though, but if they logout without claiming the rewards, it should still be possible to claim them in any of the linked platforms.

For the NGS closed beta campaigns, since the "fulfilling the requirements" part was all done in the closed beta client, now the only thing left is the "claiming the rewards" part, which, as the examples above, should be doable in any of the linked platforms.

My previous post inferred that I have experience with what I was posting about...

When I redeem the game pass perks code on the MS Store website, the "Game Pass Ultimate Monthly Bonus" campaign item does not immediately appear in the Steam client--I must log in with the Xbox or MS Store client first. I'm not about to complicate my install further to test the Epic client...

I claimed the May gamepass code early last night--I logged into Steam later in the evening to do dailies and inventory management, but the item was not there to be claimed. Not log ago, I logged in with Steam; other post-maintenance campaign items were there, and I claimed them, but no gamepass item. After the xbox updated, I logged in with it and the gamepass item was there to be claimed. Logging out of the xbox and back into Steam, the item is now available to be claimed.

While everything should "just work", it is not always the case (see Murphy's law.) This is why unqualified statements should be avoided--always hedge your bets and manage expectations...

https://ngs.pso2.com/cbt/entry/about

If only Sega would be a bit more direct in these communications, we wouldn't need to speculate quite so much... Based on the language used, my speculation is that all of the beta rewards will be for NGS, claimed within NGS (eg. the stamp reward is useless in PSO2.) Everything related to the beta is tied to the account used, however since I was already signed into the PSO2 site with Xbox creds, I have no idea if the survey was also available to Steam or Epic logins...

The main question that needs an answer is whether the NGS client will have the same/similar mechanisms for account-linking that are already present in PSO2--as far as I know, there's no way to do the account link outside the game, and telling people to also download the Store PSO2 client after NGS is released is the height of customer dis-service. To that end, one line on the above site is rather troublesome: *If you have a Steam or Epic Games account, please link your account with an Xbox Live account before the official launch of PSO2:NGS.

@PrsnOfDsntrst Basically, logging in the MS store/XBox versions after obtaining gamepass is the trigger for the game servers to know that you're eligible for the campaign, so it's only after that login that it becomes possible to claim the rewards on any linked platform, just buying gamepass is not enough to trigger the campaign.

In the case of the recommended quests campaign, the trigger for the campaign was receiving the present boxes while logged in the MS store/XBox version, so, even though the rewards are being distributed weeks later, since that trigger has already been fulfilled, the rewards can now be claimed in any linked platform without logging in again in the MS store/XBox versions.

Same for the NGS closed beta, the trigger in that case was completing the goals during the closed beta, so once those rewards are distributed, they should be claimable on any linked platform like the recommended quests campaign.