Show enemy HP bar

@zaffy2005 said in Show enemy HP bar:

I mean sure, you can just look at your own numbers and say "well when I use this class/loadout I'm averaging about 34k per hit but this other set-up is doing 60k, but it's also a bit slower" and form there you're stuck just estimating which one overall will be the more effective/efficient approach. Thing is people simply learn things differently (not "better" or "worse," just different) so while "crunching the numbers" is fine for some, others do better being able to "eyeball it" with a visible gauge.

That's also assuming you can even read the numbers coming off the enemy in the first place. If I'm playing one of the older classes with a consistent, relatively slow paced combo loop, then sure I can compare my numbers to the same class, and maybe even a different one if I put some effort into it. Scion classes? Good luck with that. I can catch that a hit has a different amount of digits at best. Part of that's also due to power creep though.

But yeah HP bars (or similar features like HP-gated breaks) are nice, especially when stuff gets fast-paced. Good to future proof stuff if they build it into the system in a good-looking/feeling way early. Like you said, non-intrusive and preferably immersive. Doesn't even have to be a bar, just some way to measure progress with granularity. We kind of already have that, but those usually come with phase changes so it's kinda useless when your effective DPS output changes with the enemy patterns. Plus you get the opportunity to remove the bar to escalate.

@AiC-L That's one thing I liked about Destiny's set-up. The HP bar at the bottom of the screen was non-intrusive, half the time I'd forget it was even there. But it was also usually segmented with a small break to show where HP-dependent phase/behavior changes would begin. At least in D2. In D1, however, we had to hazard our best guess based on where the bar was in relation to the boss's name. Like in the Crota's End raid, we knew once the bar was close to a certain letter we had to hold back and wait for an opening, because as soon as the HP was depleted beyond that point the boss would spam his full-wipe ability over and over. To my knowledge there's no such mechanics in any of PSO2's boss fights but still, an HP bar would be useful.

And I hear you on the numbers. I read forum posts and hear youtubers talk about hitting multi-million point attacks. I still have no idea if I have ever landed even a 6-digit attack because they pop up and disappear way too fast. Same with EXP. I can usually catch it if it's 5-digits but beyond that it could be 6 digits or 10 and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Just moves too fast. In some ways I wish there was a way to log attack damage and EXP gains to get an idea of what's the most efficient method.

There are definitely things that could be tweaked and improved in the game that aren't necessarily major game changers. Although given how near to release NGS is, it seems unlikely any such changes will be made to PSO2, but possibly such improvements may make their way into NGS.

@Demo-Hell said in Show enemy HP bar:

For example I can't play if don't know enemy HP, this is strange and not good.

this is a terrible mistake of the game developers, Sega may not even hope that the players will play this game.

This is all I'll say on the matter, perhaps you made a terrible mistake, Sega has had this game running for 8 Years in Japan before localizing, now its going on 9 years & 1 year for Global. Surely if any of the topics you've created were an issue they would have been addressed Prior to 8 years or localization, granted NGS is coming & bringing in a slew of changes some of which you have mentioned-*.

-* However I asked you very kindly in a prior topic you created about "your history with the Phantasy Star franchise to desire such changes to this Series" & never replied, not even a whisper. So I'll personally agree with the "just ignore them and move on" since you truly are "The Walking Problem" you claim to be.

Plus going back for a brief moment, there are other successful series like the aforementioned Monster Hunter w/out HP bars. So clearly in this sole regard I suggest trying to break the mold on your current mindset & give it an honest try aside from all the concerns & dis-satisfactions with the game perhaps there's something to this game you might enjoy, but you seem to be so wrapped up with the negatives, you're not giving it a fair shot. Not everyone enjoys this game, a lot of people are waiting for NGS for that very reason.

Despite the frustration shown above I kindly ask you either give it an honest try & find something to in-game to enjoy or quit & leave the forums be. A lot of topics here have meaning from players who actually enjoy the game & those topics mean more than your petty complaints because the game doesn't reach your standards because its missing this & that.

(I apologize for any other person(s) finding issue with my comment, but I'm just speaking my mind.)

@Church10129 said in Show enemy HP bar:

For example I can't play if don't know enemy HP, this is strange and not good.

this is a terrible mistake of the game developers, Sega may not even hope that the players will play this game.

This is all I'll say on the matter, perhaps you made a terrible mistake, Sega has had this game running for 8 Years in Japan before localizing, now its going on 9 years & 1 year for Global. Surely if any of the topics you've created were an issue they would have been addressed Prior to 8 years or localization, granted NGS is coming & bringing in a slew of changes some of which you have mentioned-*.

-* However I asked you very kindly in a prior topic you created about "your history with the Phantasy Star franchise to desire such changes to this Series" & never replied, not even a whisper. So I'll personally agree with the "just ignore them and move on" since you truly are "The Walking Problem" you claim to be.

Plus going back for a brief moment, there are other successful series like the aforementioned Monster Hunter w/out HP bars. So clearly in this sole regard I suggest trying to break the mold on your current mindset & give it an honest try aside from all the concerns & dis-satisfactions with the game perhaps there's something to this game you might enjoy, but you seem to be so wrapped up with the negatives, you're not giving it a fair shot. Not everyone enjoys this game, a lot of people are waiting for NGS for that very reason.

Despite the frustration shown above I kindly ask you either give it an honest try & find something to in-game to enjoy or quit & leave the forums be. A lot of topics here have meaning from players who actually enjoy the game & those topics mean more than your petty complaints because the game doesn't reach your standards because its missing this & that.

(I apologize for any other person(s) finding issue with my comment, but I'm just speaking my mind.)

what success has this game achieved without HP bars? Is this game even in the TOP 500 in terms of the number of players? TOP 5000?

Without the enemy HP bar , this game won't be successful for another 9 years.

At first I though you were not worthy of my blocklist, you just made yourself worthy of it, since you ignore everyone who has actual input.

Seems there is nothing you like about PSO2, so why even bother playing it, not only will yo be blocked any and all threads you started will be thrown on my ignore list.

@Demo-Hell

1. It is absurd to judge the population of a game over a silly thing like hp bars, I don't see why anyone would decide to play or not play the game on whether the hp bars exist or not.

2. Population-wise, I'm pretty sure its among the top 10 among the RPG genre, yes the game is Action RPG, its not FPS, its not Strategy (Enemy HP bars would be understandable in strategy games, however PSO2 is not one so its definitely unnecessary)

@Kan Wasn't PSO2 absurdly popular in Japan? Seems kind of silly to judge it by a one-year compressed Global release of a 8 year old game instead of by the 9 years over there when it was fresh.

@AiC-L Hm? I didn't judge it based on how old is it? Did you mean the genre? The genre is what sega defined it as, Did you mean the population? I was only considering the global population there.

For example I do damage enemy by 100 hp in second, and i don't know, enemy has hp 1000 or 100000, this is bad and strange..If SEGA can not add hp bar, then just show info about enemy HP before mission started. And game has very big count of not needed dialogues, but this is not single player game, in multiplayer game need more gameplay and smaller pauses like dialogues.

@Kan Yeah, I meant the population of the JP server compared to other JP game servers. Argument doesn't really feel fair to take what was introduced to us as an 8 year old game and compare it to games that we got new and had time to build a following. It's always going to be at a disadvantage on the age side, even over in JP now.

@Demo-Hell Just skip the story scenes then. Nothing in the game actually requires you to know lore.

@Demo-Hell you do have a good point with regards to the hit points of bosses and other monsters and it's only fair to know how strong they are but when you reach a high enough level you can take out the lesser monsters with a single blow, especially if you max out your weapon so in all fairness if they don't put a bar they should at least show current/max hp numbers

Ok, I've got to weigh in on this whole "a game can't be successful without enemy HP bars."

Have you never heard of Final Fantasy?

Do you have any idea how many games are in that franchise?

Do you have any idea how widely beloved and wildly popular that franchise is?

Can you name even ONE entry in its now THIRTY-FOUR YEAR lifespan that gave enemies HP bars? Because I sure can't.

PSO2 has enjoyed immense success and popularity even when official releases were restricted to a single country and the rest of the world had to rely on third-party ports and translation add-ons to be able to access it for eight years. Sure the graphics haven't aged well (the wooden block hands and stiff character movements are laughable compared to even indy games in the contemporary market) but the gameplay, the lore, the overall feel of the game is still strong. An HP gauge on enemies would be CONVENIENT, yes, but the lack thereof is anything but "game breaking."

If, despite all this game has going for it, you feel it is "entirely unplayable" without that one minor feature I feel I must agree with those here who say this game, quite simply, is not for you.

And yes, I am well aware of how frustrating that realization is. I wasted five years an dwell over $400 (not counting the cost of system upgrades) on Destiny while bombarding Bungie's forums with critiques, suggestions, constructive criticism, and thoroughly developed ideas on how things could be tweaked or why certain aspects should be removed, or enhanced. I frequently broke the 10,000 character limit in my posts trying to cram in as much detail and exposition as I could to support my stance.

In five years not one suggestion I had ever made, regardless of how much support it got form the community, ever made it into the game.

Here you are, with no solid supporters rallying behind you, and the best, and only, argument you've been able to make is "This game can't be played without an HP bar" even though quite literally MILLIONS of other people have been playing this game for damn near a decade without that feature.

If you want a game dev to make fundamental changes to their game you need to bring them something more compelling than "ONE player out of 3,344,616 feels this game is completely unplayable without this feature."

This post is deleted!

@Demo-Hell okay you are absolutely wrong, first I agreed now I disagree, yes the health bars would be helpful but you are saying if they don't add them that the game will not become successful? have you even played PSO2? or are you joking because it didn't have health bars at all except in some fight, and it was successful and well famous. Also, a game doesn't have to make top rankings to stay alive. It seems like you are the type of players that play to show off rather than enjoy the game

HP bars can be added in the hud, at the top left corner or wherever is now that info. Some PSOBB modded servers have them and even after thousands of hours and years playing the game without them, I don't see them as a bad thing, they are optional and can help you time your combos better (in PSO at least, since it's not a button masher and quick and strong attacks have a number of advantages and disadvantages)