Show enemy HP bar

SEGA can add enemy HP bar to PSO2? I can't play because I don't know enemy HP.... It's too hard...

It's strange when you don't know the enemy hp. This interferes with combat tactics. Also this is bad for new players.

Just hit them until they die. How hard can it be?

putting health bars in the bosses and enemies in PSO2 will not help at all, in UQ the quantity of damage appearing in the bosses and their height will make pretty difficult to see and even when doing solo stuff most of the bosses don't fully appear in the screen to see a health bar so staying like it is now works the best.

Honestly "just like" games like Monster Hunter the enemies tend to be predictable when you bring them down to lower health. The combat is typically an endurance test of how capable you are as a player to keep up with the enemy until someone goes down and if it is you that is going down you may need to rethink your gameplay and your strategies.

I don't mind it too much in this game but if you do play in Divide Quests you do get a sort of "life bar" that shows you how far along you are in a fight especially if you do the later Steps where you fight bosses rather than just enemies.

There are a few bosses that change or use certain attacks at HP thresh holds (Like Luther's time stop at 2/3 and 1/3 HP, or Shiva's pull-in when low HP), and there are bosses that show remaining HP based on what breaks off of them (all the machine bosses and Persona in his UQ/trigger).

Just to say, the NGS UQ boss appeared in the beta had a HP bar. Maybe that'll be the standard of NGS, but I don't think they'll add HP bar to existing PSO2 bosses.

For example I can't play if don't know enemy HP, this is strange and not good.

@Demo-Hell said in Show enemy HP bar:

Would be nice to see enemy HP? I guess. "Can't play" because you can't see enemy HP? Yeah, right...

Does this mean you haven't even completed the games tutorial mission?

@Yggranya said in Show enemy HP bar:

Would be nice to see enemy HP? I guess. "Can't play" because you can't see enemy HP? Yeah, right...

Does this mean you haven't even completed the games tutorial mission?

it's the same as chopping wood with a knife and you don't know how much longer you will chop it down

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=skqdnAEv9pQ

you are like this woodpecker in the video, you hit and hit but you don't see how much wood is left????

this is a terrible mistake of the game developers, Sega may not even hope that the players will play this game.

If all you care about is reducing an arbitrary number to zero or emptying a bar instead of actually learning the game's mechanics and fighting, this game is not for you. There's enough braindead mainstream games on the market as is

it's the same as chopping wood with a knife and you don't know how much longer you will chop it down

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=skqdnAEv9pQ

you are like this woodpecker in the video, you hit and hit but you don't see how much wood is left????

this is a terrible mistake of the game developers, Sega may not even hope that the players will play this game.

what kind of analogy is this? you are comparing of using the wrong kind of tool for the job to a information

health bars were never needed in any kind of game even old games didn't had those and until today Monster Hunter never added one and that doesn't make the game become a hardous task you just need to adapt also several bosses have specific attacks when their hp reach certain thresholds

@Jamesmor That is exactly what I mentioned in my earlier post here, yet it was completely ignored, as another person stated if the OP thinks the game is too hard since there are no visual indicators on target HP, then this game is not for them. This guy is basically making new threads just to nit pick things in PSO2 he doesn't like, he won't last long, so lets just ignore him and move on (he is not even worthy of taking up space in my blocklist, since he is not that annoying yet).

Boss behavior changes as HP is reduced, there are often "cut-in" NPC commentary indicating the boss's relative HP status. It's kind of an element of "immersion" to NOT have enemy HP bars. I've been gaming for like 30 years now. It is only recently and in a select few games I've ever played that enemy HP/Status has been a thing, namely Pokemon and Destiny. The only "old school" games I can think of that had them (aside from Street Fighter and that whole genre) would be the arcade-style, side-scrolling "Beat 'Em Up" games like Final Fight.

That said, I can see both sides of this debate. On the one hand, yea, just learn the mechanics, learn to "read" the enemy's movements, there's no reason to get hung up on specifics. On the other hand, at least for bosses (it would be fairly pointless on the low-rank enemies), it can be helpful to have that visual indicator so you can say "Ok, we're almost at this threshold where the behavior will change, so take this moment of reprieve to prep up rather than focusing on DPS for a moment," and when they're down low enough, it's nice to have that visual cue to make the judgement call between "pull back and brace for the next big move" and "pour it on and take 'em down before they can even launch that move." Playing Destiny there were a lot of these high-tension "clutch" moments in Raid and Strike boss encounters where ammo and special ability management can make all the difference, and we'd have to make that call between "save it for the next DPS round" and "unload everything, hold absolutely nothing back, empty all your heavy weapons, and we can finish this right here and now and not have to spend another 5-10 minutes waiting for the next DPS phase" (during which there was often a long list of things that could go horribly, horribly wrong, cause a complete wipe, and force us to start the whole encounter over again). It's something that I sometimes miss while playing PSO2. And sure, it would also be useful to help players get a rough gauge of how effective their DPS is relative to the boss's overall HP by being able to see how quickly (or slowly) the HP bar drops. I mean sure, you can just look at your own numbers and say "well when I use this class/loadout I'm averaging about 34k per hit but this other set-up is doing 60k, but it's also a bit slower" and form there you're stuck just estimating which one overall will be the more effective/efficient approach. Thing is people simply learn things differently (not "better" or "worse," just different) so while "crunching the numbers" is fine for some, others do better being able to "eyeball it" with a visible gauge.

And speaking of Destiny, it offers a solution to one of the potential issues mentioned here: how to even see the HP bar. In pretty much every boss encounter in Destiny their name/title appears at the bottom of the screen along with their HP bar. That way it's always in view without being intrusive. It could also be integrated into the HUD that appears in the top left of the screen whenever an enemy is close enough to lock on to, and could be applied to breakable pieces as well as the low-tier enemies. That would work similarly to the way games like Final Fight operated, with only the currently targeted enemy's HP on screen rather than seeing a cluster of HP bars obscuring the screen.

So, it is do-able without being disruptive to the current HUD, but the question still remains is it really necessary, or would it just be more convenient? Personally I'd have to put it in the category of "would be nice to have but we don't NEED to have it." But just because it's not necessarily "needed" by everyone that doesn't make it a bad idea, either. Personally I would be in favor of it so long as it doesn't cause lag issues (already have more than enough of that to deal with because of using the original XB1 console).