Phantasy Star Collection!

Man I just want PSO and PSU back.

@KOSMOSFAN22497 said in Phantasy Star Collection!:

Asking for a Phantasy Star V Is a lot like basically asking for a Mega Man X6 or a Star Wars Episode VII. So no. There doesn't need to be a V more over the fact that the OG team of the classic games are all but gone. Barring III ofc.

I think you meant Mega Man Zero, X6 was needed to explain how Zero was still alive.

@Mattwo7 said in Phantasy Star Collection!:

@KOSMOSFAN22497 said in Phantasy Star Collection!:

Asking for a Phantasy Star V Is a lot like basically asking for a Mega Man X6 or a Star Wars Episode VII. So no. There doesn't need to be a V more over the fact that the OG team of the classic games are all but gone. Barring III ofc.

I think you meant Mega Man Zero, X6 was needed to explain how Zero was still alive.

Don't wanna go too off-topic but... sorta. Originally Zero was made with X5's ending in-mind with MMZ resurrecting Zero following the events of X5. The sudden announcement that there would be an X6 apparently changed those plans.

That aside... I do agree with the previous statement. I think whenever people say they want a new 'classic' Phantasy Star game they don't mean an actual Phantasy Star V since... nearly anyone who's ever worked on the classic series had by now long left Sega or have been busy with other projects and Phantasy Star IV wrapped things up quite nicely hence the reason why PSO onwards would rely a lot on alternate universes rather than trying to finish off a storyline that's concluded.

@Hatsodoom said in Phantasy Star Collection!:

Man I just want PSO and PSU back.

Listening to the PSO soundtrack alone usually gives me my fix

I don't know if I would be ok with a full remake with how pso is now. If the game is just enhanced but with nothing really added to it then I am 100% down. (PSO1&2) Is a Gem by itself and was ahead of it's time. But I think adding the new fighting mechanic, P2W, and negative aspects of PSO 2 now would be a big mistake. Sill a full upgraded graphic and nothing else would be a miracle come true.

@Leonkh99 said in Phantasy Star Collection!:

That aside... I do agree with the previous statement. I think whenever people say they want a new 'classic' Phantasy Star game they don't mean an actual Phantasy Star V since... nearly anyone who's ever worked on the classic series had by now long left Sega or have been busy with other projects and Phantasy Star IV wrapped things up quite nicely hence the reason why PSO onwards would rely a lot on alternate universes rather than trying to finish off a storyline that's concluded.

I think a better comparison would be Sonic 4 or Homestuck^2 and the Homestuck dating sims (both made by What Pumpkin Studios instead of Andrew Hussie, though Hussie apparently made the Homestuck Epilogues which also did not need to exist)

@Mattwo7 Truth be told... I wouldn't consider Sonic 4 as an example of extending a franchise past its prime. The media I used as examples were those which had proper conclusions; Sonic 3 & Knuckles did conclude the Death Egg Saga but that didn't exactly mean the end for Sonic; after all the first game and Sonic CD didn't have the Death Egg and the story of Sonic Adventure was developed with the intent to build off of the lore introduced in Sonic 3. As such... there really was room for a Sonic 4 but what we ended up getting was a huge amount of missed opportunities.

Compare that to how MegaMan X5 ended; a final stand between X and Sigma where Sigma's seemingly defeated for good but at the cost of Zero and then ending on a huge timeskip which shows the world reconstructing or, since this is the PSO2 forums, Phantasy Star IV which established Dark Falz as being a spawn of Profound Darkness and ends with Profound Darkness defeated for good instead of merely being sealed away and all major conflict that was present throughout the classic series being resolved... it really is a satisfying ending. Assuming what people want out of "Phantasy Star V" is a new turn based adventure in the Algol system, you'd have to essentially undo or make pointless a lot of what that ending accomplished...

I think a better comparison would be Sonic 4 or Homestuck^2 and the Homestuck dating sims (both made by What Pumpkin Studios instead of Andrew Hussie, though Hussie apparently made the Homestuck Epilogues which also did not need to exist)

I agree with that.... Sonic 4 did NOT need to exist...

@Mattwo7 Truth be told... I wouldn't consider Sonic 4 as an example of extending a franchise past its prime. The media I used as examples were those which had proper conclusions; Sonic 3 & Knuckles did conclude the Death Egg Saga but that didn't exactly mean the end for Sonic; after all the first game and Sonic CD didn't have the Death Egg and the story of Sonic Adventure was developed with the intent to build off of the lore introduced in Sonic 3. As such... there really was room for a Sonic 4 but what we ended up getting was a huge amount of missed opportunities.

Compare that to how MegaMan X5 ended; a final stand between X and Sigma where Sigma's seemingly defeated for good but at the cost of Zero and then ending on a huge timeskip which shows the world reconstructing or, since this is the PSO2 forums, Phantasy Star IV which established Dark Falz as being a spawn of Profound Darkness and ends with Profound Darkness defeated for good instead of merely being sealed away and all major conflict that was present throughout the classic series being resolved... it really is a satisfying ending. Assuming what people want out of "Phantasy Star V" is a new turn based adventure in the Algol system, you'd have to essentially undo or make pointless a lot of what that ending accomplished...

Cool. People kept saying that PD was only sealed, don't know where they got that idea from....

@KOSMOSFAN22497 The same kind of people who are trying to fit every single Phantasy Star game into one timeline despite Rieko Kodama (the one responsible for the Classic Series) starting that all games starting from PSO1 are not set in the same universe as the Classic Series. Profound Darkness' presence in PSO2 definitely lead to people taking the superficial implications that "Profound Darkness was never truly gone" without looking into the fact that, much like every single Dark Falz, this is merely an entity with its own unique history bearing the same name.

It's established pretty clearly how the PSO2 Profound Darkness came to be, in a totally different origin story than the classic series. It's also established that the 1000 year rule does not exist in PSO2's universe (Dark Falzes start looking to reform/get a new host almost as soon as they are defeated-- also that rule is due to the very specific mechanics of the Algo System seal), but we still see people hanging onto that detail for NGS speculation.

I really wonder how many people actually played PSO2's story, rather than absorbing bits and pieces through UQs and hearsay.

@_Flux_ said in Phantasy Star Collection!:

but we still see people hanging onto that detail for NGS speculation.

I mean it's not like the player character has Magic MacGuffin Mary Sue Sword Purification Powers (which I shall now call MMMSSPP because I'm pretty sure this ability was never properly named) capable of both saving Persona and completely eradicating PD in the process that Xiera copied from Hitsugi's +20 Magical MacGuffin Mary Sue Sword of Not Being an Indecisive Idiot (which does have a name but I couldn't give a damn so I'll just call it the MMMSSNBII) or something.

I really wonder how many people actually played PSO2's story

tumblr_opdedfdnQ81tc7i0no2_500.png

(How I fail to find a gif with captioned with him saying "indeed" on Google is truly beyond me... It's like no one realizes that's his real catchphrase and not "I've come up with a new recipe")

I mean it's not like the player character has Magic MacGuffin Mary Sue Sword Purification Powers (which I shall now call MMMSSPP because I'm pretty sure this ability was never properly named) capable of both saving Persona and completely eradicating PD in the process that Xiera copied from Hitsugi's +20 Magical MacGuffin Mary Sue Sword of Not Being an Indecisive Idiot (which does have a name but I couldn't give a damn so I'll just call it the MMMSSNBII) or something.

I agree that is a terrible plot point and such a contrivance, but I'm struggling to figure out what that has to do with the 1000 year rule. Unless you're suggesting Sega might just stick it in there like it was a thing all along when it wasn't.

@KOSMOSFAN22497 The same kind of people who are trying to fit every single Phantasy Star game into one timeline despite Rieko Kodama (the one responsible for the Classic Series) starting that all games starting from PSO1 are not set in the same universe as the Classic Series. Profound Darkness' presence in PSO2 definitely lead to people taking the superficial implications that "Profound Darkness was never truly gone" without looking into the fact that, much like every single Dark Falz, this is merely an entity with its own unique history bearing the same name.

Indeed.. Although some people don't see it that way unfortunately.

@_Flux_ said in Phantasy Star Collection!:

I agree that is a terrible plot point and such a contrivance, but I'm struggling to figure out what that has to do with the 1000 year rule. Unless you're suggesting Sega might just stick it in there like it was a thing all along when it wasn't.

They'll make it happen unfortunately. DF is the Star bad guy of entire the franchise. I'm betting that they're counting on veteran players not caring/New being unaware of the story of Og PSO2 because that's how things work these days. Wouldn't be surprised if they called it "Amazing/Brilliant/Superb Story telling no matter how bad it is.