so, in regards to the cutscenes from EP 5 and onward (spoilers btw, fair warning)

anyone else really not like how like visual novel esk they felt? i prefer more where we can see our character and how they react to stuff. thankfully we see this with the dark falz avatars we absorb, espieccaly with apprentice and Gemini. just wish the visual novel stuff happened less. also wish the cutscenes coudl'v shown us taing more advantage of dark blast as well as paying attention to our classes, such as having us use katans if we're bravers or phantoms, instead of the giant sword we seem to wield a lot.

I also didn't like the switch to visual novel mode. Hope they go back to cutscenes for NGS.

I felt like the devs kept wanting to be like other games with the VN part and some stuff with the story which I found disappointing. It's like they got bored doing what they were doing. For NGS I hope they stick to being PSO2 and cut the "Sword Art+Fire Emblem" nonsense too. (especially that video game nonsense, wtf )

@NovaOmegaBlood Since the visual novel type of cutscenes are easier to make, that resulted in more effort being put into the action cutscenes, so, personally I prefer this approach, VN style for the exposition/talking only cutscenes but better quality action cutscenes.

Plus, visually I find the VN type of cutscene far better than the ep1 talking cutscenes, where a character just walks to the player, stands there talking, and goes away.

Honestly, I just liked the nostalgia trip, as it was something commonly found in late nineties, early two thousands JRPG games. So yes, I liked the later scenes better than the earlier exposition related scenes. That said, I like when they mixed and matched cutscene types. Made for a fun experience. But that's just my take on it.

I wasn't really a fan of the earlier way of doing cutscenes. It was just a bunch of pointless standing around with not much being said or done. Really the only time I liked it was with EP 4 but I think that's because that was anime as heck and so things were more appealing and interesting. I'm indifferent about VN style scenes. They fit explaining things and idle chatter better. But I can't say I love them or dislike them. If that frees up resources to make action scenes better than I support it. EP6 was rife with good action scenes.

Prefer the original way cutscenes were done since the VN cutscenes kinda felt low budget to me and I always just press the skip button on them.

@YagyuChan said in so, in regards to the cutscenes from EP 5 and onward (spoilers btw, fair warning):

Prefer the original way cutscenes were done since the VN cutscenes kinda felt low budget to me and I always just press the skip button on them.

The original way of doing exposition/talking cutscenes were pretty much just the characters standing and talking while doing standard emotes, the VN cutscenes are not really different from that other than the change in perspective.

But since the VN cutscenes are likely easier to make, that frees up resources for the action cutscenes to be better than they used to.

@YagyuChan said in so, in regards to the cutscenes from EP 5 and onward (spoilers btw, fair warning):

I was actually going to bring that up but didn't thinking it was just me. I also felt it had a "low budget" feel to it. Maybe its the combination of 3D graphics and VN?

Even with the old way sometimes looking kind of stiff I think it looked better/more realistic than a constant backdrop with characters fading in and out imo. I think the different camera angles really help too.

I didn’t enjoy the cutscenes because it didn’t hit the mark for nostalgia for me, now if we got some 90s graphics to go along with it then that would’ve been fun for a chapter or two!

Strong disagree - Episode 5 and 6 handled their cutscenes far better than Episodes 1-4 did. Like Ezo pointed out, the detail in the modeling of characters during more action heavy scenes was leaps and bounds better than anything we had up to that point, and that as thanks in no small part to them turning your standard talky cutscenes into the Visual Novel / Fire Emblem / Anime JRPG style format.

They really didn't change anything either when you get down to it - The majority of Episode 1-4's cutscenes were just standing around and talking, with little to no movement between the characters, or the movement that was there being extremely stiff. Tossing that out, in favor of just using standing models speaking towards the camera, and instead putting a bigger budget towards the more action-heavy cutscenes, worked out a lot better in my eyes.

I wouldn't mind the VN cutscenes as long as we could see our character with everyone or see them in third person even if it's still relatively still.

But for the most part, I did find them really offputting.