How likely is it that NGS's servers will crash because its only on the Microshaft store

Genuine question.

I don't think it being on the MS store has any connection to the server quality. I'm a little worried about getting stuff installed and whatnot, but the servers themselves should be alright.

Server quality varies based on how many try to get in at the same time. The MS store has nothing to do with servers at all. The most well funded MMO's still have server issues from patch days due to high influx of players.

Try not to spread such blatant misinformation simply because you don't like the MS store.

Servers of multiplayers games will always crash on the first couple of days. Doesn't matter if its microsoft store or another store or launcher. It happens and happened it with xbox insider hub even though it isn't launcher. It just shows how popular somethings is. Even if beta sign ups wasn't through xbox insider hub something like this would still have happened.

I'd hope they'd prepare for the beta though. They know exactly how many people are going in, so that shouldn't be a problem. I would say that they've had several to iron out the technical bugs as well, but that's on the JP side and I don't know what they changed under the hood for Global.

The hosting and distribution of client files, the hosting of the game service itself and most recently the hosting of the service to handle closet beta signups are all separate. The first of these list even splits out into three separate hosting locations on PC.

The New Genesis CBT is expected to be hosted on an Azure provision, the same way PSO2 Global has been since its own closed beta and the same way New Genesis will likely continue to be post-launch which in many ways will effectively be a big update to the existing service.

The Xbox-only PSO2 "closed" beta (which had no account limit so it was functionally an open beta) and the Microsoft Store only PC launch both filled the block capacity on all blocks in all ships that were available at the time, and Sega responded by increasing that capacity either by increasing their Azure provision or by allocating more of the unused provision they had set aside for the possibility.

The NGS closed beta claims to have a limit on the number of signups that will be given access. If so they have to assume at least 95% of that number (presumably the 100,000 from the CBT website plus whatever allocation increase they mentioned on Twitter that they deemed fair or necessary) will be trying to play as soon as the CBT begins and prepare a temporary Azure provision capable of supporting that. Unless access turns out to be unrestricted or they mess up somehow we should expect that access during CBT won't be congested.

Any subsequent open beta or New Genesis' June release - which will be available on all three PC storefronts from day one, not that it has any relevance - is up in the air though. They'll make a judgment call about how many players they expect to be present on launch and try to provision accordingly. If they under-estimate interest it'll be another congestion scenario and that won't have anything to do with the Microsoft Store.

Just to make things clear here even if the beta was on Steam or Epic you would still be connecting to a Microsoft Azure server since that is what the PSO2 server is hosted on. All Steam and Epic do is provide a means to launch the game and make/link account data with that associated account so in essence it is just a handshake between Steam/Epic and the PSO2 MS Azure servers. So my point here is that you are still using Microsoft services to connect to and play PSO2. As for the MS Store while I can understand the game uninstalling itself is seriously annoying I got to say that Steam and Epic versions are using the same code with light modifications such as not being UWP and not using Xbox Live to retrieve character data and connection status from the server so in theory these versions can easily uninstall themselves too. SEGA took steps against this by making the respective PC platform handle all patching for the game so that the MS Store for example won’t see update files as foreign and nuke the entire game. Yes it is not perfect but there is not much else they can do about it. Lastly on server load expect a day one crash of the server since I feel that this beta will operate similar to the PSO2 Global beta with no player cap since SEGA wants to probably test a quite substantial player load on the server but this is what betas are for which is to find bugs and potential load problems.

Were there many server issues during the Xbox beta? Because I know that the PC release at least went pretty fine server-wise, the landslide of issues all came from the client and its terrible integration with the MS Store. That's all been mostly ironed out though now, so I'd be surprised if there were nearly as many client side issues in NGS.

If the NGS servers explode on launch though, I doubt it'll have much to do with the MS Store itself, and more just issues related to the game itself (like the graphical issues JP's been having that's delayed the graphics update for us).

@Akonyl said in How likely is it that NGS's servers will crash because its only on the Microshaft store:

Were there many server issues during the Xbox beta? Because I know that the PC release at least went pretty fine server-wise, the landslide of issues all came from the client and its terrible integration with the MS Store. That's all been mostly ironed out though now, so I'd be surprised if there were nearly as many client side issues in NGS.

If the NGS servers explode on launch though, I doubt it'll have much to do with the MS Store itself, and more just issues related to the game itself (like the graphical issues JP's been having that's delayed the graphics update for us).

There was a server issue on Day One of the original game's CBT on XBOX, but they took it down for about an hour or two and then put it back up and it worked fine since then

SEGA isn't like NcSoft thankfully. When Aion hit, they didn't have the server capacities for the flood of people coming and the result was long queues that persisted for 2 months(they didn't expect Aion to be a big hit on launch day LOL). Thousands of players couldn't play Aion because they couldn't get INTO the servers. The login client itself wasn't an issue.

So basically the client is just a tunnel we go through to get to the server and the server then checks if we can go in.

tl;dr - if 20,000 people try to get in the servers, expect less to be able to get in.