Will there be incentives to play normal PSO2 after NGS is released?

I understand that this is a big jump from one game-mode to another, however I can't see Sega just jumping the ship on their most successful title to date to branch off to something that might not even theoretically work out for them.

In the event NGS is released, are there going to be incentives to play normal-pso2 in the future afterwards? Alot of players have invested alot of time, and money into the base game over the years, and that's saying that lightly as the game is a decade old in Japan.

I hope so (!) I mean beyond self driven goals and things (which to be fair is pretty big motivation). Theres is still quite alot of content to work through if you so desire. Im planning on doing both. I guess its a case of we'll have to wait and see, but maybe someone knows something.

I’m leaning towards yes, they went to effort of updating the graphics engine and to tie both games into the same launcher, so you can easily swap back and forth.

I don’t think we’ll see a lot of new content in the near future, has the main focus to begin with will be ngs, but i can definitely see things like cross game seasonal events, campaigns etc. I hope in the future base pso2 goes like ff xi after an initial content drought when ff xiv dropped, it now is getting a steady rate of content and is still doing well today. Even without any of that theirs still plenty to work through and play on your own.

Really have to see, but I'm leaning towards no.

Development for "new" PSO2 content have stopped completely since the challenge mode released last December - everything since then have been re-runs/reskins into UH with the exception of mop-up operations which is just reusing old assets. Many things developed for NGS are not backward compatible for PSO2.

No new scratches for many months other than the Oracle Renew Collection for NGS - rest have been just re-runs or old scratches being consolidated into permanent scratches, including FUN scratches with all consumables including shop tickets removed from them. Then on top of it the announcement of mission pass removal (never really liked the system, only wanted to earn the capsules). I wouldn't be surprised if they start removing methods of earning weekly SG from the base PSO2 game to push people to play NGS.

@HarmlessSyan said in Will there be incentives to play normal PSO2 after NGS is released?:

Really have to see, but I'm leaning towards no.

Development for "new" PSO2 content have stopped completely since the challenge mode released last December - everything since then have been re-runs/reskins into UH with the exception of mop-up operations which is just reusing old assets. Many things developed for NGS are not backward compatible for PSO2.

No new scratches for many months other than the Oracle Renew Collection for NGS - rest have been just re-runs or old scratches being consolidated into permanent scratches, including FUN scratches with all consumables including shop tickets removed from them. Then on top of it the announcement of mission pass removal (never really liked the system, only wanted to earn the capsules). I wouldn't be surprised if they start removing methods of earning weekly SG from the base PSO2 game to push people to play NGS.

While this is all true, SEGA would have been all hands on deck to get ngs ready to launch, well has much as possible anyway with covid. Hopefully once ngs launches and they get done with the initial teething problems that tends to happen with new online games, hopefully that will free up some personnel to do some content for pso2 from time to time.

How do you people stay alive when an actual sequel to a video game series is released? Situation where absolutely nothing carries over unlike in NGS. I mean it's fairly obvious that NGS will be pushing 95% of the new assets while PSO2 gets remixes of everything old. PSO2 in the first place from the JP server perspective often had problems releasing satisfying amounts of content on time even before NGS works in progress going behind the scenes. There is also about 0.1% chance of some magical backtracking on NGS happening, as from developer's viewpoint it would be probably easier to fix NGS by making it more like PSO2 in case everyone prefers the latter.

@Hooonter said in Will there be incentives to play normal PSO2 after NGS is released?:

PSO2 in the first place from the JP server perspective often had problems releasing satisfying amounts of content on time even before NGS works in progress going behind the scenes.

You kinda answered your own question. NGS will be having the same "problems" releasing satisfying content consistently post release as well, a lot of people will be sitting duck waiting for next patch of story and other updates that come along with it. During this content downtime, the entertainment would be PSO2 (assuming the highly likely situation where sega continues to try and push out content, no matter how low in quantity in PSO2 along with NGS)

@Kan

Sure, but in that case specifically it will not be worse than not deciding to develop NGS at all. It's just better to go full throttle into NGS without being restrained by plethora of things the developers would complain about from time to time, rather than split resources too much between NGS and PSO2. If they can only develop one new EQ boss per 2 months it's better to put it in NGS rather than wait 4 until NGS and PSO2 can each get their own.

@Hooonter Going full throttle is a bad idea from business perspective. If they try to eliminate downtime, the content will be too fast to keep up with and where PSO2 lasted 9 years, NGS wouldn't even last 2 years and their roadmap would be finished (assuming they can push out content that fast), leaving the remaining content to be remixes of the past and such too soon. Minimizing the downtime would be the better term but even then, the downtimes would exist, along with miscalculations on it

@Kan Regardless of the terms used, I don't think the situation is much different from the release of a new episode content-wise. You can always go back to PSO2 or the content of a previous episode of PSO2, but there is not much point in giving more resources to PSO2 than what it already has with the current roadmap. The best compromise I can think of would be backfeeding some assets developed for NGS back into PSO2 quests. Otherwise half the point of NGS is restarting a lot of things that were broken in PSO2 as per audience or directors' opinion so you have better, smoother base to develop for, which also makes it counter-intuitive to try to meander with your roadmap back into PSO2 development too much

@Hooonter I believe it IS much different than release of new episodes. In this case, PSO2 and NGS will be running simultaneously as different... modes. Think a better analogy will be a new type of quest or a new play mode, like perhaps pso2 & challenge quests. While the PSO2 will exist, there will be room for improvement in challenge quest and perhaps new quests in cq etc

Edit: A little rephrasing: PSO2 and NGS will have their own events, their own urgent quests and timings, their own separate content with no gameplay-relationship existing between them, so they are quite different than just a new episode

No one knows. But I don't think they want to just end pso2. We likely won't get new new content. But I don't see why they wouldn't continue with UQ updating and maybe mini campaigns.

If anything I think they invested into perma scratches so pso2 can remain as a SG farm of sorts. It is the only currency that goes between both games.

I think the link and update thing is more specifically to have a bigger player retention jump from PSO2 to NGS, rather than to keep PSO2 incentivising.

If they did NGS and just released it, many players would jump, but quite a significant number would not, as nobody wants to lose everything they have, and PSO2 itself was still very hot in the past couple of years, it's not like it was dying by any stretch of the imagination.

By having this link, NGS instead just feels like a proper continuation of your adventure, rather than a reset, and therefore more and more people will stay engaged with the new project.

@Matt Yep, plus keeping PSO2 alive gives new players that will start with NGS a chance to check out the PSO2 story.

They're literally getting rid of all packs and season pass stuff from pso2. It's pretty clear PSO2 is going to be on maintenance mode for the rest of its life.