PSA: Convince someone in your alliance to not log in!

Now the CβT signup and Prologue 3 news has simmered down a bit, it's probably a good idea to draw attention to the third occurrence of arguably the worst type of campaign PSO2 has to offer, revealed in advance during Prologue 3:

ed26b429-f7ac-4bbf-9fea-545618eeb3be-image.png a7e9c4c7-dd95-49e3-9afa-1ecb17eb9f36-image.png

The returning players portion of the campaign usually requires players to have not played PSO2 for some time - generally a month prior - but to have played before that point.

This means if you have anyone in your alliance who hasn't played since the 14 April maintenance, it is in your alliance's best interest for them to not log in until after the 12 May maintenance so they can qualify as a returning player and get everyone an emote Global has never had before and which is likely to be quite expensive.

Honestly this iteration of this terrible campaign type is even worse than it usually is, especially on Global because the only way for a returning player to qualify this is to not log into PSO2 on purpose and miss most of the ARKS Appreciation Event rewards in the process. The only way for an alliance to get 545: Kneel as a reward is for one of its members to sacrifice their ability to get 283: Dance 41, 451: Elaborate Dance, 376: Groovy, 478: Cross Legs (a revival PC players already missed once btw), 477: Rainbow Drop Acquired! and a ton of accessories, weapon camos and rainbow keys (likely harming their ability to complete the level 100 campaign)!

But hey, if you have someone in your alliance who's been away for a while and they've taken a renewed interest thanks to Prologue 3 and the upcoming Road to New Genesis campaigns, see if you can convince them to avoid logging in for another 2½ weeks because there's a reward in it for you.

Are those things tradable?

@Cakewalk said in PSA: Convince someone in your alliance to not log in!:

Are those things tradable?

Since most of the items mentioned haven't been available in Global yet and since Global makes some items that are tradable on JP not tradable, we have no way to know. 478: Cross Legs is tradable at least, and without logging back in to confirm I think 451: Elaborate Dance and 376: Groovy are as well? The rest haven't been distributed to anyone yet since their campaigns either haven't started yet or haven't been running long enough for that reward to be available.

Honestly, I don't really even know anyone in our Alliance that well (it just kind of works and we all kind of jive despite doing our own things) so I doubt we'll manage either of these unfortunately. Really hate campaigns like this 😞 Like at least make it in our control-- coercing someone to join or hoping someone returns isn't fun.

I've never had problem with the returning player campaigns, basically free stuff for casual alliances like mine and gives some of my older players more reason to com back. As for the new player campaign, just make a 2nd account and join for a new player, its what I did since we aren't really recruiting atm.

@Princesse-Jen said in PSA: Convince someone in your alliance to not log in!:

Like at least make it in our control-- coercing someone to join or hoping someone returns isn't fun.

What's interesting is it's been so little time since our last campaign that people who qualified as returning players for that but stopped logging in even before it ended might still not qualify as returning players for this upcoming one.

But yes an alternative qualification method like cumulative AP gain would be super appreciated and way less unfair. It was always funny that the first campaign Global got like this was called "Encourage Alliance Activity" but what it was really looking for was alliances with inactivity.

@Rorana said in PSA: Convince someone in your alliance to not log in!:

I've never had problem with the returning player campaigns, basically free stuff for casual alliances

The problem is many alliances cannot qualify. Especially the casual ones.

If you're in a full alliance of 100 people or something then the odds of one of its members happening to return after not playing for around a month is probably higher, especially if the alliance is serious enough to have its own Discord server to allow members to pester idle members with pings and DMs. But if you're in a small friend-group alliance of like six people who've all played recently? It's a campaign that was made literally impossible a month before it even started!

And considering Global in particular has been running a wealth of campaigns that have rewarded logging in and playing as much as possible including Windows 10 Incentives and ARKS Appreciation during this time, dropping a don't-play campaign now is even more hypocritical and punishing than usual. Which is why I've posted this PSA to try and help alliances make the best of a bad situation.

@Rorana said in PSA: Convince someone in your alliance to not log in!:

As for the new player campaign, just make a 2nd account

As a small warning, we still don't know if that qualifies as fair use for multiple accounts.

I've tried asking GMs multiple times over the months (September 1, September 2, October, April) to clarify this use specifically because it would give active or small alliances protection from bad campaigns like this but it does completely undermine their (badly flawed) spirit. But thus far there's been no answer so this is definitely a "do at your own risk" deal for now.

I'm wondering if you will still get the emote if you have an active returning player boost, but log in before the campaign starts.

@MiyenHalo said in PSA: Convince someone in your alliance to not log in!:

I'm wondering if you will still get the emote if you have an active returning player boost, but log in before the campaign starts.

I can answer this one as a definite no.

You must have not logged in for the specified period before the campaign starts. Anyone who had returning status prior to the maintenance that starts it and keeps it after the maintenance, does not qualify. Similarly anyone who would gain returning status during the campaign before logging in does not qualify either as that would mean they had logged in early during the don't-login period.

I'm pretty sure my alliance has been burned both ways on that one during the original campaign by the way, since we recruited a player with the returning player icon in the first couple days and the last couple days of the campaign and they were both in the alliance for the campaign closure maintenance yet we didn't qualify for Operating Terminal.

TLDR: It is absolutely not sufficient to have one alliance member who has the returning icon at some point during the campaign. They must meet the precise condition of having not logged in at any time in the specified time period prior to the campaign's start.

And yes I think that's another issue with this type of campaign, because this way of deciding who counts as returning and who doesn't is weird and blocks people who should absolutely qualify under the spirit of what the campaign is trying to do.

Ah damn would have been nice. I should have quit for longer lol. Thanks for the info.

What even qualifies as a new player?

@Knight-Raime said in PSA: Convince someone in your alliance to not log in!:

What even qualifies as a new player?

If it's like previous campaigns, it'll be any player whose PSO2 account was created during the campaign period.

Note that like the returning player icon, it's possible for someone to create an account before the campaign starts and still have the green-sprout icon over their heads after the campaign starts. Unless the campaign format has been improved, these players will not qualify for the campaign, so even recruiting someone with the new-player icon after the campaign begins is not a guarantee your alliance will qualify.

*Edit

Deleting response cause I didn't realise this was a new campaign and I agree with what is being said. It's a bit silly to put this after arks appreciation. Requires basically bad faith actions to get the returning playing reward...

Aaaand this garbage campaign is detailed!

Recommendation for alliance leaders, prepare to take screenshots of your alliance members' login status, viewable here:

Options ➡ Community ➡ Alliance Commands ➡ Alliance Member List ➡ Offline

Presently this will show anyone who hasn't logged in since 12 April. Sadly that doesn't cover the qualification window covered by this event:

495449f6-ae21-4ff5-82a2-d7a89e273fd2-image.png

If someone logged in between 17 March and 12 April they cannot qualify as a returning player for your alliance, but they will still show as "No recent logins" in the member list... so yet again we'll have no way of knowing if our alliance has any qualifying returning players until the rewards are distributed on 7 July, long after the campaign has ended and after we won't be able to do anything about it. Lovely! 😠

But at least this alliance info screen can give you information about who is away and who returns during the campaign period, so it's the best imperfect indication we'll be able to get.

@Miraglyth said in PSA: Convince someone in your alliance to not log in!:

What's interesting is it's been so little time since our last campaign that people who qualified as returning players for that but stopped logging in even before it ended might still not qualify as returning players for this upcoming one.

To give an update on this though, according to the campaign details this won't quite be the case.

The last edition of this horrid campaign required new or returning players to log in between the 16/17 March maintenance and the 13/14 April maintenance. The don't-log-in window for this new campaign has the same start date but its end date is 22 April.

This means anyone who joined or returned during the last campaign but then left again within about a week can qualify as a returning player for this new one.

What's also interesting is the start time of this campaign was 22 April, seemingly for both new and returning players. Previous ones started in the maintenance they were announced in. This means if you had a new player who started any time in the last 3 weeks joining your alliance, it'll already qualify for the new player rewards.

When the FOMO is so intense you're begging your alliance members to not play... Fedoratoids...

You've got a problem with a PSA now?

Update

Today's maintenance revealed to us that the weapon camos from the second and previous edition of the new/returning player campaigns - * Judge of History and * Schrift Bilden - are not tradable. Only the rappy suit outfits can be placed in the Player Shop. If your alliance didn't qualify - something I remind we had no way to be sure about during the campaign period - you cannot get these items now.

Something to think about for this third edition of the campaign.