fyi: CBT may be locked to the PC that signed up

This is basically just a reddit crosspost a friend sent me: https://www.reddit.com/r/PSO2NGS/comments/mvuz46/heads_up_the_global_ngs_beta_appears_to_bind_the/

But from the looks of it, if you sign up for the beta on one PC and then check on another (like if you signed up on a laptop but planned to play on a desktop), that PC will show as not being registered to the beta since the signup is apparently per-computer (along with being tied to your account). Haven't tried it myself, though.

Who knows how this actually affects the beta rollout, but figured it'd be worth mentioning (and not in one of the other random CBT complaint topics where it might be glossed over) since I figure some people might've signed up on some secondary PC because they couldn't access their main PC when the window opened.

It's for those who didn't do it right away yesterday. They already said it's likely going to be a lotto from here on out for those registering for the beta.

Those already in stay in from my understanding and their spots won't get removed.

That’s going to suck for me if that’s the case, my laptop is no where near powerful to run the beta. Thankfully a friend agreed to lend their gaming laptop for that weekend so I could try it out, but that will go out the window if this is true

It's only a couple people saying it and we don't know if they are signed into the same Xbox account with the Microsoft Store / Xbox Insider Hub account across machines.

It doesn't help that Microsoft allows (and encourages, last I saw) a Windows 10 device account to be used as a Microsoft account; these people may be effectively being treated as separate accounts on different devices because of this. It would help if these users were playing PSO2 on multiple machines as that would likely confirm it, but since people probably only use one machine to game that's understandable.

I'm particularly curious about the poster of the post linked; apparently they formatted their laptop and it lost its beta access? If it was using something like the MAC address it should have kept the beta access, so this makes me think as part of the formatting they made a new device-based Microsoft account and that would naturally get treated separately.

Would be nice to see screenshots of Windows Insider Hub on multiple machines, because that shows the Xbox avatar Mii style dude in the upper right. If this was machine-limited they'd have the same avatar in different machines not all of which had beta access. That'd confirm it.

@TEN-SQUARE-3 said in fyi: CBT may be locked to the PC that signed up:

That’s going to suck for me if that’s the case, my laptop is no where near powerful to run the beta. Thankfully a friend agreed to lend their gaming laptop for that weekend so I could try it out, but that will go out the window if this is true

fwiw, it sounds like if this is true that you can just sign up on your main PC anyway as well, it's one account per PC (according to a different topic there) but people there say they managed to sign up on another PC afterwards anyway so one account can register on multiple machines potentially

Juts make sure the sign up window doesn't close first.

@Miraglyth said in fyi: CBT may be locked to the PC that signed up:

It's only a couple people saying it and we don't know if they are signed into the same Xbox account with the Microsoft Store / Xbox Insider Hub account across machines.

It doesn't help that Microsoft allows (and encourages, last I saw) a Windows 10 device account to be used as a Microsoft account; these people may be effectively being treated as separate accounts on different devices because of this. It would help if these users were playing PSO2 on multiple machines as that would likely confirm it, but since people probably only use one machine to game that's understandable.

I'm particularly curious about the poster of the post linked; apparently they formatted their laptop and it lost its beta access? If it was using something like the MAC address it should have kept the beta access, so this makes me think as part of the formatting they made a new device-based Microsoft account and that would naturally get treated separately.

Would be nice to see screenshots of Windows Insider Hub on multiple machines, because that shows the Xbox avatar Mii style dude in the upper right. If this was machine-limited they'd have the same avatar in different machines not all of which had beta access. That'd confirm it.

I actually have an old laptop I used to play PSO2 on up till two months ago or so, so I just decided to unearth it (since i gotta reinstall PSO2 before some travel anyway) and went ahead and downloaded the insider app to check, and I can confirm that on the laptop the PSO2 beta is in the "available" section and not the "joined" section like it is on my desktop. Both comps are using the same store/xbox account.

for what I know Xbox Insider is a rooted program so it will register the machine that is selected to run but I don't think Microsoft handles access per machine and instead per account if not the betas they did for AOE and Flight Simulator will had blew up with the access to those, still is hard to tell how it works without knowing the other part of this.

@Akonyl said in fyi: CBT may be locked to the PC that signed up:

on the laptop the PSO2 beta is in the "available" section and not the "joined" section like it is on my desktop. Both comps are using the same store/xbox account.

Thanks, I felt that confirmation was missing before. This is better information.

Now this is curious. You have to wonder how they'd track this - especially on the PSO2/Sega side where all they probably get to see is the Xbox account.

I actually have an old laptop I used to play PSO2 on up till two months ago or so, so I just decided to unearth it (since i gotta reinstall PSO2 before some travel anyway) and went ahead and downloaded the insider app to check, and I can confirm that on the laptop the PSO2 beta is in the "available" section and not the "joined" section like it is on my desktop. Both comps are using the same store/xbox account.

I just had to do the dame thing on my friends laptop. This likely means the laptop I was planning on using, is not guaranteed to get in now, has the later entries are lottery based, but also if I do get in, means I would actually have two entries, taking a spot away from someone else because of this

on the laptop the PSO2 beta is in the "available" section and not the "joined" section like it is on my desktop. Both comps are using the same store/xbox account.

Thanks, I felt that confirmation was missing before. This is better information.

Now this is curious. You have to wonder how they'd track this - especially on the PSO2/Sega side where all they probably get to see is the Xbox account.

If what Jamesmor said was right, then it could just be something like the actual access is handled server-side per account, but the insider hub app caches the local state data to the registry/wherever so it doesn't have to ping the xbox services to show what you're registered to (which might be useful considering what we experienced, showing that the insider app server was run on a potato or something).

In which case, registering with a second computer wouldn't actually do anything beyond the server telling the app you're already registered, and your app updates to correct itself. That'd also explain the case of the guy who formatted and apparently lost beta access, but who knows for sure.