"proc" what it means

Not sure if its my age and/or youthful general PSO inexperience. I figure it means activate or trigger things, effects, etc. But what does it "proc" itself mean? Is it short for something or an acronym?

Much grass.

o/ =^.^=

Programmed random occurrence

@Laep said in "proc" what it means:

Wow, truly would have never guessed that.

My sincerest thanks. 🙏

o/ =^.^=

"Proc" is a common gaming term generally used to describe effects that happen at random. It's often used to talk about equipment or skills that have a random chance to do something.

If I have a sword that has a chance to cause double damage, and the effect went off I might say "Oh my sword just proc'd for huge damage". In terms of things directly related to PSO2, the hunter skill "Iron Will" has a % chance to save you from death, so if you had this skill, get nuked for all your health, and Iron Will saves you, then you could say "Iron Will's proc just saved me from death". We could also talk about what it takes to proc a PSE in PSO2.

@KnightHarb1nger said in "proc" what it means:

I figure it means activate or trigger things, effects, etc. But what does it "proc" itself mean?

Activate is a good way to think of it; there's also the synonym process.

@KnightHarb1nger said in "proc" what it means:

Not sure if its my age and/or youthful general PSO inexperience.

fwiw, it's also just one of those general pieces of old internet game jargon like mob and aggro, it's not something specific to PSO.

@Laep said in "proc" what it means:

Pretty sure this is just a backronym used since the real source is so archaic by this point (process/procedure from back in the MUD days). People'd probably have just called it a PRO in that case (or made up some other acronym) + a decent amount of people call abilities that trigger other abilities procs anyways, even if it's a guaranteed trigger effect.

https://web.archive.org/web/20190430115428/http://www.nerfbat.com/2006/04/15/what-is-a-proc/

Thats awesome stuff. I kinda thought about "interwebbing it". But since somehow in my almost half century on this erf never came across it. I searched these forums instead. And gave up after the 3rd page of its mentioning w/o it being spelled out. I cried the proverbial Uncle and asked muh fellow ARKSeses. ;~)

MUDs man.. ..gah I miss those dayz. Back before the internet. When you had dial-in to BBSes (Bulletin Board Systems) etc. to play some of them. My all time favorite to this day is still MajorMUD. And the memories of cobbling together little scripts to play the game for you while you went to skool. 😸

@Xaelon I've been wanting to ask you for a while now. Where did you get that forum avatar from? I've tried image searching for it off and on. But with no real origin success.

Thanks again guys for the deets and commiserations. 😻

o/ =^.^=

@KnightHarb1nger My avatar is Vivi from FF9 (from some piece of official art I believe), but someone gave it a liberal dose of photoshop magic.

There's no information on it because it was specifically made for me about 10 years ago as part of matched signature and avatar set.