FREE jp la's now being sold as scratch bonus

Just kind of funny a free event la on jp costs ~$50 on NA

4122ef2a-1d1f-4c47-9158-3bf95ad5140b-image.png

You're paying for 50 dollars in scratch items and you get it as a bonus. It's a bonus.

It’s a bonus that still has to be paid for. Let’s not kid ourselves, if it’s not available to F2P as an event like it apparently was in jp then it’s not free, it’s an incentive for paid users. That does seem pretty crummy, especially considering this scratch doesn’t look like it’s going to have a lot of high cost goodies to sell on the market. Players are still trying to get those elemental emotes to sell from the last scratch.

I’ve got no horse in this race, don’t care about those emotes in particular but I don’t feel this is right.

Yeah, writing it off as a bonus only works if it's something you can get via other means (like all the gold/rainbow keys they throw around).

Otherwise it's just a forced bundle if you want the "bonus" item, like how in FFXIV they sell in-game emote+irl statue combos for $200 where a lot of players just want the emote, but it lets SE say "well, the emote's just a bonus. It's really the statue you're paying $200 for ;)"

Wouldn't be the first time we've had a similar thing though where you had to pay more to get a certain "bonus" item on global than on JP.

Edit: my bad 😞

@Akonyl said in FREE jp la's now being sold as scratch bonus:

writing it off as a bonus only works if it's something you can get via other means

That's not how things work. Its labeled as a bonus, its rewarded as a bonus for doing a number of scratches. You dont have to relinquish the items you scratched for to get it. The definition of bonus doesnt exclude things that are otherwise unobtainable.

@Akonyl said in FREE jp la's now being sold as scratch bonus:

Otherwise it's just a forced bundle if you want the "bonus" item, like how in FFXIV they sell in-game emote+irl statue combos for $200 where a lot of players just want the emote, but it lets SE say "well, the emote's just a bonus. It's really the statue you're paying $200 for ;)"

That's not really a good comparison, not even remotely. Its When you're scratching you may do it be cause you want an item rewarded as a scratch bonus, but in reality you're paying for the individual scratch attempts and you're gaining those items. You cant just ignore that you're scratching N times.

If you don't like the concept just dont scratch. It ain't anything hard to understand.

@Laep said in FREE jp la's now being sold as scratch bonus:

That's not really a good comparison, not even remotely. Its When you're scratching you may do it be cause you want an item rewarded as a scratch bonus, but in reality you're paying for the individual scratch attempts and you're gaining those items. You cant just ignore that you're scratching N times. If you don't like the concept just dont scratch. It ain't anything hard to understand.

Imagine if there was a new single player Phantasy Star game, but the only way to obtain it was to buy 5 full-price call of duty games first, at which point it got added to your account. But then in another region, they could just get the game for free no strings attached. Would you actually just go "well if you don't like it, then don't buy call of duty"?

Because if you don't like the other examples, there's one that fits just as well to the "be forced to buy X things you don't care about in order to get the item that other people get for free" pattern. And I think you're honestly crazy if you don't see an issue with that example.

@Akonyl Thats an even worse comparison.

? How are you coming up with it costing $50? 45 scratch’s would be 9000 AC not 5150(49.99) Ac prices 100-.99 500-4.99 1000-9.99 3000-29.99 5150-49.99 10300-99.99

@Laep said in FREE jp la's now being sold as scratch bonus:

@Akonyl Thats an even worse comparison.

Can you explain why? I essentially replaced "scratch ticket" with CoD and "the emote" with "PSO2 game".

If your issue is "well they're different companies" that's superficial to the point I'm obviously trying to make, and if your issue is that 5 CoDs costs more than 35 scratches, then you're admitting that the monetary value of the "non bonus" portion matters in relation to the bonus portion, in which case I don't know how you're continuing with the pretense that it's "free".

@Akonyl Because it's not a good comparison. Theres no precedent for a video game being exclusively locked behind purchasing another video game multiple times. These are optional microtransaction scratch items and bonuses, you do not need them to play PSO2 which is a free to play game.

You are paying to scratch the scratch and being given a bonus after reaching certain tiers.

@SaviorZero82 I mean you could buy the 5150(49.99)+3000(29.99)+1000(9.99)= 89.97 with tax that should be 98.97, I’m still trying to see how you got $50

@SaviorZero82 he clearly just made a mistake in his writing it's not a super huge deal

@Laep Lack of precedent doesn't nullify the comparison, this aint a court of law. It shows the same core principles of tying items together in such a way as to make obtaining one item (which people may care about on its own) cost more by bundling it with unrelated items, if you don't like using video games as an example you can easily swap it with whatever real-world items you want to instead.

You'd have a point if these were items that only ever existed as a tack-on to this scratch, but the issue here isn't that they're doing that, it's that they're doing it while also offering the same exact thing to another group of people. It's the inconsistent monetary gatekeeping that's the issue and makes it feel kind of shit, when it comes along like so many other things that Global's seemingly got the short end of the stick on.

@Laep your right, I’m sorry I was stuck in home school mode and dug into it more then I should have.

My apologies