Regarding to TWEAKER pso2 Can they join the GLOBAL closed beta test?

@Miraglyth said in Regarding to TWEAKER pso2 Can they join the GLOBAL closed beta test?:

Meanwhile I haven't personally heard about Denuvo being used as a front for CCP data theft but since Denuvo is based in Austria and their owners Irdeto are based in the Netherlands (both subject to EU's heavy data protection laws) it's difficult to imagine. I'm guessing the idea came from Irdeto's South African owners also having a sizeable stake in Tencent? But that's pretty tenuous.

Honestly, the only reason people were screeching that Denuvo was some kind of CCP datamining rootkit was, and it really irks me to say this, because Genshin Impact was a Chinese made game, and thus racist asshats automatically assumed that because Denuvo installs it's self inside your PC's kernal, it therefore must be some kind of absolutely insane conspiracy that the game was some how designed specifically to steal your information.

The whole thing was beyond being tenuous, it was literally just racist redscare tactics because Genshin was a chinese-made game. That's it, that's the entire reason. Denuvo isn't great, and my biggest gripe with it comes from it causing games to chug because of how invasive it is. As far as it being some kind of malicious piece of software, though? No, it's no more malicious than Gameguard or, on topic, the Tweaker or FFXI's Windower.

But racists gonna racist, sadly. It's really like you posted - people are completely misunderstanding what certain software does, and use popular buzzwords like rootkits, bloatware, and data-mining to somehow try to push their own personal agendas towards whatever software they don't like. But when there's actual need for evidence to be presented - be it Denuvo, the Tweaker, or anything of the like, it always comes up completely flat.

Even trying to argue that the Tweaker is somehow bloatware is laughably flimsy, since one need only look at their CPU processing and usage through the task manager to quickly understand why, and how, that term doesn't apply to the software.

@Blade-Syphon said in Regarding to TWEAKER pso2 Can they join the GLOBAL closed beta test?:

Honestly, the only reason people were screeching that Denuvo was some kind of CCP datamining rootkit was, and it really irks me to say this, because Genshin Impact was a Chinese made game, and thus racist asshats automatically assumed that because Denuvo installs it's self inside your PC's kernal, it therefore must be some kind of absolutely insane conspiracy that the game was some how designed specifically to steal your information.

That's not just racist but it's obnoxiously ignorant. If Genshin Impact wanted to mine various aspects of a user's data out of the alleged Chinese-ness of its heart (lol) it wouldn't need Denuvo to do it in the first place.

It would actually be the least useful of their options; Anti-Cheat can likely submit (i.e. upload) and centrally store system information as needed for its previously-mentioned ban management service. This would be wholly limited to data that is 100% non-identifying, because otherwise Irdeto would be committing GDPR violations all over the place. In other words they can retain that non-identifying Genshin Impact account #8675309 ran Genshin Impact concurrent with a process that was a positive match for a Genshin Impact trainer, but they can't log that you're Dr. Fred Bob who works in hematopathology.

If they wanted that they'd either have to do that directly through Genshin Impact (which again wouldn't need Denuvo) or to somehow persuade Irdeto to put in a bunch of effort to convert what is in all likelihood a legitimate service into spyware and knowingly in contravention of recently-enacted and severely upheld privacy laws whose discovery would likely put an end to any of their other business relationships so fast that the heavy fining they'd also get would feel insignificant. Does that really sound realistic?

I know I'm ranting about this a little and it's somewhat off-topic since even Denuvo isn't really the subject of this thread or likely to have any involvement with Phantasy Star Online 2, but it really bothers me when fools try to come up with such badly misplaced reasons to dislike Denuvo because as you say there are good reasons for gamers and consumers alike to detest it and all misinformation does is give people ammunition to dismiss even those good reasons.

But hey, at least that criticism seems to be shared with Tweaker too, so perhaps we can return to the topic with that: To anyone who wants to speak of their dislike for Tweaker: That's fine! You do you. I personally have no opinion of it beyond limited second-hand gratitude for reducing the damage Microsoft Store did to the game in the important time of its PC release. But if you want people to take your criticisms seriously, maybe you don't want to undermine yourself with laughably baseless accusations?

@Miraglyth

Oh trust me, you're preaching to the choir here on this one brother. Literally ever criticism that people threw at Genshin was unjustly because it was a Chinese-developed game. Literally everything thrown at the game was misinformation and uneducated stupidity to try to insist the game was some kind of malware from China. You know, kind of like what a few posters in this topic were trying to do in regards to the Tweaker because they don't like one of the people behind it?

I never said any of it made any god damned sense to ANYONE who has even the smallest amount of computer literacy.

I don’t think Tweaker is going to steal my information or anything but I don’t like third party software for games because I feel it’s the company’s job to make a playable game. I’ve definitely read the horrors of early MS store hell for PSO2 and even recently saw how it fixed an updating error on Steam so I see its use but if I don’t have to use third party software then I’d prefer not to.

That’s ridiculous about those awful accusations, though.

@Coil how am i breaking TOS i may not be an expert on this field but I don't see any problems using the tweaker if you say its a rootkit miner i have an app that monitors everything that is running even viruses and I don't see any suspicious activity in tweaker the guys below even said that there is no proof that tweaker is stealing or mining using my computer.

I have been using the Tweaker for over 6 years now and I am yet to see it steal my information or install a Crypto miner on my PC.

@Milk said in Regarding to TWEAKER pso2 Can they join the GLOBAL closed beta test?:

I don’t think Tweaker is going to steal my information or anything but I don’t like third party software for games because I feel it’s the company’s job to make a playable game.

With all the corner cutting nowadays, that's too much to ask. Playable? Barely. Enjoyable? Eh...

Even with people that pay for early access to test it for them, some companies cut so many corners it's a miracle that it can be called a game.