International PS4 and Switch Release Lie?

So NGS is around the corner and PSO2 graphics update is coming soon. It was announced the PS4 release would be soon after Microsoft and that was a year ago. I already have the PC version but that's not the point. I have PS4 friends and family that'd I love to experience the game with and I can't because someone wants to hold on to PSO2 until it stops generating revenue for them so they can hand over a dead corpse to Sony, and we all know its about money and not the fans. At this point I'm sure my suspicions were right too. Microsoft "asked" to bring PSO2 internationally and SEGA had no intentions from the start. While I'm ready to give PSO2 the sweep under the rug and go MMO hunting again I'd still give NGS a chance if, and its a strong "IF", they don't pull that exclusivity deal crap. Good for you if you'd still like it, greed ruins a game for me and rather not have my fond memories of Phantasy Star ruined by greedy corporate. Anyways, we have months till NGS is out and a month for the beta. I wouldn't be too surprised if the PS4 release of PSO2 were to happen just after NGS launch date and the Switch right after if not before PS4's.

Why not wait for NGS and then complain. The current version of pso2 is a game that I wouldnt recommend to anyone.

Speculating, not complaining. If you don't like the current version of PSO2 then why bother on these forums when its literally about about the current version? Not the point anyway so move on if you don't want to hear it, period.

Microsoft paid Sega for the PSO franchise to be under contract with them outside of Japan. You likely won't see PSO2 or NGS on anything Microsoft doesn't own.

Xbox and PC for the rest of the world only.

Microsoft paid for Sega to bring PSO2 (And NGS) over. Does it limit the potential audience for the game? Perhaps, but they're the ones who made this whole thing possible in the west. I imagine MS has power over what PSO2 gets released on and when.

I can’t find anywhere they gave a solid time frame for a ps4 release, if ever. We know Microsoft has an exclusive contract what we don’t know are the exact details and how long the contract lasts for.

Yes it’s about money, it cost Microsoft a lot of money for this to be brought over, everything from 8 years worth of content to be translated and voiced, to infrastructure and maintenance of it. It doesn’t make sense from a business stand point to invest like that and then not put something in place to make sure you’re making your money back. If companies aren’t making money they eventually go bankrupt and can’t bring over games.

Now don’t get me wrong I hope ps4 gets a global version at some point, more players means a longer life span, but without Microsoft no one would be able to play a localised version of the game.

It might get a release if one, SEGA has it planned, and two, Sony doesn't add restrictions to the game. Sony is censor happy anymore, Devil May Cry 5 a prime example, and with Sony effectively no longer a Japanese company,(as they shut down their Japanese branch, and their headquarters is now located in California) or one even friendly to that market, many developers from Japan are moving away from the platform. And Microsoft is all too happy to take over the void left by Sony. I get that people are unhappy that this game may never come to market on the global variant of that platform, but you can thank, and blame Sony's current CEO, and overall company for its decisions.

PlayStation is grandfathered in over in Japan, and so that's why it showed up during the Japanese trailer for the game, but if you pay close attention to the global variant, nowhere is Sony's console even mentioned. In fact New Genesis only mentioned Mircorsft products, and Steam, with the Epic Store quietly being added later. Furthermore, the only mention of PlayStation came when the game was first teased to get a North American release, but only one trailer had that, the rest, after a point stopped having PlayStation even mentioned. Likely because Sony wanted them to cut a lot out of the game. It's a very mature rated product, and Sony doesn't like fan service games that come from Japan. At least not anymore. Let's be honest here Sony is digging its own grave, just like Microsoft almost did when they tried to quietly Jack up the price of their Gold subscription services this year.

Neither Microsoft , nor Sega, ever once stated that the international release would ever be on PS4 or Switch. Someone from Microsoft said they wouldn't block it if SEGA wanted to release the International version on other platforms, but they never said it would be on other platforms. So far, SEGA has been keeping it to PC platforms which started with Steam and then EGS. They have still never mentioned PS4 or Switch for the international release, though.

@Anarchy-Marine said in International PS4 and Switch Release Lie?:

It might get a release if one, SEGA has it planned, and two, Sony doesn't add restrictions to the game. Sony is censor happy anymore, Devil May Cry 5 a prime example, and with Sony effectively no longer a Japanese company,(as they shut down their Japanese branch, and their headquarters is now located in California) or one even friendly to that market, many developers from Japan are moving away from the platform. And Microsoft is all too happy to take over the void left by Sony. I get that people are unhappy that this game may never come to market on the global variant of that platform, but you can thank, and blame Sony's current CEO, and overall company for its decisions.

PlayStation is grandfathered in over in Japan, and so that's why it showed up during the Japanese trailer for the game, but if you pay close attention to the global variant, nowhere is Sony's console even mentioned. In fact New Genesis only mentioned Mircorsft products, and Steam, with the Epic Store quietly being added later. Furthermore, the only mention of PlayStation came when the game was first teased to get a North American release, but only one trailer had that, the rest, after a point stopped having PlayStation even mentioned. Likely because Sony wanted them to cut a lot out of the game. It's a very mature rated product, and Sony doesn't like fan service games that come from Japan. At least not anymore. Let's be honest here Sony is digging its own grave, just like Microsoft almost did when they tried to quietly Jack up the price of their Gold subscription services this year.

Actually, Sony's overall HQ is still in Japan. Sony Interactive Entertainment, or SIE group, is composed of not one, but TWO Headquarters. One is still located in Japan, while the other is in San Mateo, California. Bother parts of SIE Group have equal say in policies for the platform. If it seems one has more control than the other, it is only because the one seemingly in control is more convincing to the other side to get them to agree with them. In this case, SIE LLC in California.

I don't see FFXIV on Xbox so Sony fans can just deal with it like Xbox fans have to deal with it.

@Sega-Genesis said in International PS4 and Switch Release Lie?:

I don't see FFXIV on Xbox so Sony fans can just deal with it like Xbox fans have to deal with it.

I think microsoft did try to to get FFXIV only their consoles. From what I've read the game would have been required xbox live gold to play online (and have to have the game subscription as well). Square Enix said no. I don't remember my source though, so take it as a grain of salt I guess. 😞

@Kurogaea said in International PS4 and Switch Release Lie?:

It was announced the PS4 release would be soon after Microsoft and that was a year ago.

As with many other responses this topic has already seen, I'd like to see a source for this alleged announcement.

I could be mistaken but I believe the only time PSO2 Global was hinted to be destined for other platforms was Phil Spencer (Microsoft) after the E3 reveal almost two years ago. "Yes, like, it'll end up on all platforms, I don't e- that's not the point..." This is not an announcement, and it would probably be on Sega / ESTsoft to make that. Moreover this was long before New Genesis was confirmed and we have no idea how Microsoft is involved with the creation of that; there could now be a console exclusivity that wasn't on the cards two years ago.

@Ragnawind I do recall an article (link here) where Phil Spencer did say that the game would be on "all platforms" at some point but that has already been about two years now since then.

I would not be surprised if this was simply hopeful talks about the game coming to the other platforms like the Nintendo Switch and the PlayStation 4 and that these simply never came to light or weren't actually considered for the "all platforms" moniker. I still feel it would be nice to see but I am curious to see how Microsoft and Sega would be handling this if it really is still the case that Phantasy Star Online 2 would show up at some point on these platforms.

For those that want to PLay PSO2 on thier PS4.. I trhink its possible, But there is a caveat- You will need to manually link your account to your PS4 : ( https://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-link-epic-games-account-to-ps4) I think this may work and it may be the only way to do it. Since PSO2 is Crossplay So why not.?

Looks like people are playing steam games on PS4 : https://youtu.be/8j55J9yufTA

@Sakesubaki The only way to play PSO2 on PlayStation 4 and 5 currently is via the Japanese version of PSO2, where an actual release of the game exists both digitally on the PSN store and physically via the deluxe packages.

Also that first link only explains linking your PSN and Epic Games accounts together, and the second is just straight clickbait lies.

I don't think the issue with PSO2 global releasing on PS4 and 5 is within Sega but mostly because of Sony, since they changed their policy over fanservice games several ended up being heavily censored or just straight up canceled and I doubt Sega will want to censor their main cash flow game to satisfy Sony ridiculous demands.

now with Switch in Japan the game runs using a cloud service because the hardware can't handle the game so in order to be released in the console is that the same system is used for global and is not impossible to do it but considering that Sega is focused now in NGS they probably don't have enough developers to focus in the system in the moment.