PSO2: NGS Rare Drops

I grew up playing Phantasy Star Online on my Dreamcast, Gamecube, PS2 and PC. The best part of the entire game was the hunt for rare items. Getting a shiny new red box drop from a rare enemy was always exciting and it made running over to the Tekker worth while. In PSO2 currently, rare drops flood your screen and don't provide that same feeling.

In NGS, PLEASE make visiting the Tekker fun/worthwhile and not a chore like the current setup in PSO2. Let's rare drops be rare drops!

There is a long ongoing trend towards instant gratification. Just take a look at all smartphone games and the reward popups/ daily login stuff etc. I know that the red boxes in pso2 dont mean anything but still people get manipulated by these mechanics all the time and love a billion rare drops after a 1min boss fight. But I know exactly what you mean. There was nothing more exciting than finding a rare in pso1 even after hundrets of hours of play. Sure not everything was useful (game on GC for example couldnt be balanced after it had been pressed onto a DVD so thats that), but I hate that shift (one of the reasons why I hate diablo 3 and PoE: too much loot).

Rare drops used to be more rare back in ep 3, honestly i much prefer the drops currently to then. It's not fun getting literal worthless vender trash for 99% of the drops

Rare drops being rare is fine, I think people just like the idea that they're getting something out of farming instead of nothing, which is where material currencies come in.

Which people then proceeded to complain about anyway.

Personally I think the game just needs worthwhile drops spread across more content than anything else, as PSO2 usually has everything valuable in 1 or 2 content pieces which gets stale quickly.

@Rorana said in PSO2: NGS Rare Drops:

Rare drops used to be more rare back in ep 3, honestly i much prefer the drops currently to then. It's not fun getting literal worthless vender trash for 99% of the drops

but thats what rares are now, 99% trash.

one of the things i've commented on in every survey so far is that i want the hunt for rares be worth it again. sometimes it's time intensive, sometimes you won't get what you want at all, most of the times the rare wasn't even that great to begin with, but it was always something worth hunting for and felt like you accomplished something. i hope to have that feeling back with ngs honestly. PSO2 is a pretty let down most of the time when it comes to rare weapon hunting. my current goal is the SJS.after that i'm pretty much clueless what to do next as i'm happy gear wise till NGS. all i can do is spend more time building more cras weapons for other classes.that's about it.

@Ki-Rin said in PSO2: NGS Rare Drops:

maybe to you, but i prefer being able to do stuff with the trade in currency they provide. Earlier drops were literally only useful for the meseta they provide. Also some of those drops have nice SAF to them or decent S grades. As i said before, everything in ep 3~4 (when rare drops were more rare) was basically a worthless drop.

@shadonic-0 said in PSO2: NGS Rare Drops:

one of the things i've commented on in every survey so far is that i want the hunt for rares be worth it again. sometimes it's time intensive, sometimes you won't get what you want at all, most of the times the rare wasn't even that great to begin with, but it was always something worth hunting for and felt like you accomplished something. i hope to have that feeling back with ngs honestly. PSO2 is a pretty let down most of the time when it comes to rare weapon hunting. my current goal is the SJS.after that i'm pretty much clueless what to do next as i'm happy gear wise till NGS. all i can do is spend more time building more cras weapons for other classes.that's about it.

All i can hope for is that it doesn't return to ep 4 levels of "hunt for this". I've run a casual alliance on ship 2 since PC launch and I cannot tell you how many people in my alliance quit because they felt like trying to hunt these rares felt like a waste of what little free time they had after work. I've been told time and time again that they don't want to spend their time after work rolling the dice for a weapon or units that they most likely will never get because they can't be on to farm it all the time. Like it or not, imo pso2 is a casual MMO at the end of the day, so I think they should be catering more towards that audience.

@shadonic-0 I just finished my Sealed Noadchi / Tsumikiri camo. It was fun and feels rewarding, that's the kind of content I hope we receive more of.

maybe to you, but i prefer being able to do stuff with the trade in currency they provide. Earlier drops were literally only useful for the meseta they provide. Also some of those drops have nice SAF to them or decent S grades. As i said before, everything in ep 3~4 (when rare drops were more rare) was basically a worthless drop.

All i can hope for is that it doesn't return to ep 4 levels of "hunt for this". I've run a casual alliance on ship 2 since PC launch and I cannot tell you how many people in my alliance quit because they felt like trying to hunt these rares felt like a waste of what little free time they had after work. I've been told time and time again that they don't want to spend their time after work rolling the dice for a weapon or units that they most likely will never get because they can't be on to farm it all the time. Like it or not, imo pso2 is a casual MMO at the end of the day, so I think they should be catering more towards that audience.

i can understand that. but PSO2 in it's current state is still doing it wrong. players of all types have played PSO and PSU and i never heared them complain about rare hunts, mostly vent their frustration about not getting something after xxx hours spent. the problem with PSO2 is it's powercreep. instead of hunting for top tier weapons, we spend time doing time gated content to get them and instead do rare hunts for desired S-augments and augment fodder in general to build our min-max sets. that's aweful. i don't mind Zig going a bit easier on us with the material requirements and instead offer good weapons and units, but the best? that literally takes the purpose out of PSO, which has been a grinder since it's dreamcast days. the excuse "it's casual, so it should be easy" is nonesense. PSO never has been forcing you to quit your social life or work to have something to show for it. you hopped on, met up with your friends to get some rare hunts done and moved on with your life.

if we keep the powercreep up though, NGS will run into a content drought quickly.people will simply log in when there is something new to get and log off when that's done.there is no longevity in that, no pride in accomlishing something, it actually feels more like work then a game at the end of the day.

@Anzio said in PSO2: NGS Rare Drops:

I grew up playing Phantasy Star Online on my Dreamcast, Gamecube, PS2 and PC. The best part of the entire game was the hunt for rare items. Getting a shiny new red box drop from a rare enemy was always exciting and it made running over to the Tekker worth while. In PSO2 currently, rare drops flood your screen and don't provide that same feeling.

In NGS, PLEASE make visiting the Tekker fun/worthwhile and not a chore like the current setup in PSO2. Let's rare drops be rare drops!

I completely disagree, and I far prefer gathering materials for equipment than hunting for unreasonably rare equipment.

When gathering mats to exchange for equipment or to upgrade equipment, there's a feeling of progression, there's a light at the end of the tunnel so to say. Hunting for unreasonably rare equipment is just discouraging.

For me, the ideal equipment system is the Monster Hunter system. Starting with base weapons, gathering materials from different sources to upgrade them (multiple tiers of upgrades), and having multiple different upgrade paths.

@Matt said in PSO2: NGS Rare Drops:

Rare drops being rare is fine, I think people just like the idea that they're getting something out of farming instead of nothing, which is where material currencies come in.

Which people then proceeded to complain about anyway.

Personally I think the game just needs worthwhile drops spread across more content than anything else, as PSO2 usually has everything valuable in 1 or 2 content pieces which gets stale quickly.

It used to be like that in previous entries of the series but in PSO2 Klauz is basically the "one size fits all" weapon series while in e.g. PSO1 a ranger would have to resort to a Guld Milla for lifesteal, a Frozen Shooter / Spread Needle for CC (which for general use doesn't even exist in PSO2 in any meaningful way) and a Berserk Vulcan for single target damage.

I feel like PSPo2 nailed what the drop rates should be while PSO1 was leading in regards to providing content with meaningful things to farm for.

To put it simply: Rares aren't.

Most of PSO2 still considers 7★ rare, including the red boxes and any NPC party members' now comically exaggerated reaction to you receiving anything 7★ or above. This is a consequence of power creep; I know it goes against Phantasy Star Online rarity tradition, but it would have been nice if they had reworked it so rare/red was shifted to being 10★ or above in Episode 3 and 13★ or above in Episode 5.

Fortunately New Genesis is going to start with a lower rarity as the highest available (4-6★?). It'll remain an open question if they plan to do power creep better when higher level caps and rarities are added, but it'll take a while to get to that point.

While we're on the subject I'm pretty much just talking about red boxes and drops being unsatisfying yet the game repeatedly telling you they're good and special. They aren't, and it feels jarring. What I'm not talking about is progress that asks for material grinding. For the most part I'm okay with that progress mechanism; the Klauz grind is a bit much for the time we've had to do it IMO, but that's a consequence of content rush and we shouldn't have such a condensed experience with NGS.

Agreed. Historically I'd say this is one of the biggest and most consistent mistakes the online Phantasy Star games have made. Sega really could do with learning that it kills variety to add a new rarity and then limit it to only being available in one or two quests or content types. It can't be that much work to update the drop lists in prior content, maybe scaling up their highest difficulty a bit accordingly which would suit the probably increased pace of lower-level levelling that tends to come with that kind of progression increase.

Then again perhaps with the idea of large-scale geography in New Genesis this might not feel so bad? If the harder and more rewarding content is added further away from the main city, it might contribute to a sense of progression instead.

i can understand that. but PSO2 in it's current state is still doing it wrong. players of all types have played PSO and PSU and i never heared them complain about rare hunts, mostly vent their frustration about not getting something after xxx hours spent. the problem with PSO2 is it's powercreep. instead of hunting for top tier weapons, we spend time doing time gated content to get them and instead do rare hunts for desired S-augments and augment fodder in general to build our min-max sets. that's aweful. i don't mind Zig going a bit easier on us with the material requirements and instead offer good weapons and units, but the best? that literally takes the purpose out of PSO, which has been a grinder since it's dreamcast days. the excuse "it's casual, so it should be easy" is nonesense. PSO never has been forcing you to quit your social life or work to have something to show for it. you hopped on, met up with your friends to get some rare hunts done and moved on with your life.

if we keep the powercreep up though, NGS will run into a content drought quickly.people will simply log in when there is something new to get and log off when that's done.there is no longevity in that, no pride in accomlishing something, it actually feels more like work then a game at the end of the day.

where is this gatekeeping mentality where if it's not grindy it ain't PSO coming from, not letting people that barely have some time to play craft the best gear by spending materials from the fight and gating it behind a drop is honestly such an outdated design and most of the population works long hours, just because you can stay at home 24/7 and grind all day for rares does not mean everyone can too.

Well, it's an issue with live service games. Very rare stuff is fine, but in games that are constantly updating with better and better stuff, nobody wants to do long farms because the gear they get will be outclassed in 2, 3, 4, 6, 12 months or whatever.

I loved the grind of PSO (and still do), but it only worked (and still works) there because the game doesn't expand. You are always working to a goal that doesn't shift the goal posts. PSO2 doesn't have this because a live service game has to make things better and better to get people to log on.

I loved the grind of PSO (and still do), but it only worked (and still works) there because the game doesn't expand. You are always working to a goal that doesn't shift the goal posts. PSO2 doesn't have this because a live service game has to make things better and better to get people to log on.

They don't have to do this, GW2 is a "live service game" and they don't constantly render everyone's gear useless in order ot get people to play new content which they would have done regardless.