PSO2 NA, a analysis/rant on the good, the bad, the content

So, I'm Rika. I've been with PSO2 a very very very long time (and phantasy star almost my whole life). This thread isn't meant to bash NA (though it probably will), but to discuss our version of the game, what content we do or do not have. I wrote this because I care about this game. This will be very ranty. This is also not meant to be a suggestion topic. This is not meant to be a censorship discussion topic either (will only be briefly mentioned). This is about just getting our base game in full and not feeling left out when JP gets things and we don't. I did my best to format this.

I'll make a tldr on the bottom however I care a lot about this game, I want the best for it. I have almost 1900 hours on NA alone (and over 2000 on jp). I have over 5000 on PSU. Thousands of hours on PSO, and many hours developing my own quests on the original PSO. If you still don't think my topic deserves a read then I tried.

edit: One note. Some of these are long gone issues or ones that cannot be fixed. I'm still calling Sega out on them that they were bad decisions.

So where to start:

• The game is censored, however that's not what this topic is about. I'm just mentioning this because parts of what I consider the base game are missing.

• Strato's red outfit anyone?

• A lot of weapon looks. Due to no old type weapons. Like the double cannon from PSO? Good news it's in PSO2! It's been in pso2 since episode 3! Bad news, not in our version though. I'll admit they have been adding camos of these old types, but this could have been handled so much better. There are so many old weapons with unique appearances. Phantasy star (at least as of PSO) has always been about finding cool items. They might not even be good items, but we still want them. I think JP not only has these items available, but is getting a shop with all of them.

• The Varuna specific drop, Bonds Hachette. I don't know if this is censorship or just a oversight. If a oversight though, why?????? If censorship? ???????????????????????????????? It's not in the divide medal shop either, so I'm finding this as... intentional.

• The free smart innerwear. Was the plan to sell it to us, but too many of us knew it was free and we would complain, so you just didn't release it? Was the plan to give it to us when episode 4 released and you forgot? What's the deal here????

• Missing neat events. Japan JUST finished theirs. Why didn't we get the webpanel event? NA not worth paying 1 guy/girl to set up a web page that's mostly done? JP has had several to our 0 since NA came out. It's fun to work towards things. It's more of a interaction with the game. Wow, now that this event just came out, it's even more watered down than expected. Really disappointing. So, jp get's mop-up and fire swirl and some pso npcs. We do too. Great right? No. JP's get's a webpanel event for them,a special badge shop with event npc. Us? We our missing our easter xia (who I assumed the anniversary one would replace) and we get more rising badge 5's (that have already been available) we can farm, yay..... This one actually really lowered my motivation to play, like massively. More on this here if interested: https://forum.pso2.com/topic/10974/when-fireswirl-releases-please-give-us-the-20th-anniversary-webpanel/23

• Weren't a lot of people for the ff14 collab? What happened to that?

• Why are base augment capsules STILL in our mission pass? We have almost the core game that JP has high-end items wise so...?????

• Having untradeable items here that are tradeable on JP. In my opinion untradeable items are just not fun especially ones that I know are tradeable elsewhere. We have some untradeable items that are untradeable for seemingly no reason on the NA version.

• Some sg/ac items we have here are free on jp.

• Where's the extreme quest NPC Alis? No, not Alis from episode 5. She has green hair. Does she really matter? Not really. Just a seemingly random thing missing. Alis. Thank you Church10129 and Psublog.

alt text

• Why doesn't Cougar NX spawn and why is Knight gear only spawn in the heaven hell solo extreme quest? Edit: okay Knight gear also spawns in mining base vr too. Still doesn't spawn in random emergency trials though.

• Why did you skip White day? Like it or not, it's part of the core game. It doesn't need to be big here, doesn't need a scratch. White day lobby and lovey rappy/emperrappy. It's been in NA PSO and NA PSU. There wasn't even anything going on ingame that month. No updates. Very little reason to not put the white day lobby up. Before you say "we don't celebrate white day". Fair enough, but just so you know, JP doesn't celebrate thanksgiving but got turkey rappys last year. (they also got a SEA PSO2 specific rappy this year as well, which we didn't).

• Skipped limited quests. Now sure, there may not have been time to have every single one up, but why not put the ones we never got as triggers in the badge shop? Some of these quests dropped special camos which has a only source of rainbow keys at the moment which isn't meant to be. These item's are rarer than they should be and were never farmable in the first place.

• WHERE IS MINING BASE 2?! Yeah this is a bit too late the ship has sailed, but still is ???????????????????????????????????. Why is this urgent quest missing???????

• I still find the treasure shop to be more useful than the fresh finds shop. Only thing fresh finds has going for it is it's "pretty ui". Id forgive fresh finds if the stuff was tradeable, but it's not.

• I remember wayy back a new player deleted their white badges, not knowing what they are. They figured it out, went to support to get them back. Support said no. A item with one source, one that can be verified (has to do with recruiting a friend). Like.. really support???????? What's the point of support if all they can do is say "we can't help you" or link you somewhere that can be easily found yourself? There are reasons people use support, cause they have a issue they can't resolve. To be honest though, I don't see the JP version caring either. That doesn't make it right though.

• I remember someone having payment issues. Payed for something and didn't receive it. Was told "it's complicated". No it's not. If it's complicated, you're doing it wrong.

• Where are our Labeled blocks??????? You recently made trigger blocks which is good, took a very very long time.

• When we weren't even in episode 4 yet, didn't some time attack leaderboards have a "ultrahard" requirement to participate (which we didn't have access to)???? Couldn't have made a extrahard leaderboard for us?

• Extrahard free quests? I have a feeling this was just a failed experiment on jp which is why we don't have it, however it would be nice to play a free quest we don't just outright one shot everything in.

• The xbox version players having to have xbox live gold to play. I'm not sure if this is the case anymore. My gosh though, you should have either had free premium for xbox logged in users (the technology is actually there). JP has a web cafe. You get points while logged in at a web cafe (which there was a shop for) and I think you get premium while logged in there as well. Why didn't you do this for us NA'ers?

• Is the launcher fixed yet? I still see people sayin their game deleted itself. I use tweaker though. People shouldn't have to, to make sure their game has a less of a chance of deleting itself. There was a point where PSO2 jp was easier to play than NA as a NA player early on. JP cacha boss vs pso2 na randomly deleting itself.

• I feel like if people used to mission badge shop got screwed over if they bought stuff before the augment capsules were released.

• ESTsoft handling multiple games. I don't know if they have specific people working with PSO2, but PSO2 should have a dedicated team. Team @GM-Deynger what do you do when working when not posting on the forum (which you seemingly few topics only post one day of the week). This isn't a insult, I'd actually like a honest response. Write up the news? Answering support tickets? Discussing content strategy with sega headquarters? If I do get a response though, it will probably "right answer" not the "honest answer". But I can hope! Optimism is why I gave NA a chance in the first place.

• I may have missed a ton of things, but now I ask. How does this effect PSO2:NGS? When JP get's a event on JP, do we just get nothing, or just a watered down version? When something in NA NGS comes out it just has something completely random missing? Is this the "NA way"? I may not know every item that's missing, but some people do in fact want these missing items.

• I will say that not a lot of thought seems to go through released content at times. (see lack of the 13* unit exchange with some of the new urgent quests being released). Yay that some old content got updated drop tables when JP got them for urgent quests that have no triggers in jp, but na does. Not thought out, nor tested.

• Phantasy star idola not linked to pso2 na. Makes me think idola NA was just a cash grab.

• Remember last summer when a room decoration made it so you couldn't enter that room? Aida fixed the issue in a couple hours, sega didn't have a fix for like a month if I remember.

• Our announced updates times. JP get's announcements for content that doesn't exist a month in advance. We get our announcements a couple days in advance for content that already exists. I just don't get it.

• PSO2 NA physical merchandise? Not sure why this doesn't exist. I'm sure some would be VERY interested in this (even I am, well was). You could have had a store on your site selling this stuff Sega.

• Voice tickets? What's so hard about this one? These voices EXIST ingame already and always have. Partner characters have these voices, why can't we? "But then we'd have to pay the...", then pay them. Fine if you can't get voices for every anime collab ticket, but not the base game voices???

• Lack of flavor text on items. Is this a super big deal? No. Do a lot of people read it? Also no. Is it super noticable that every sword in the game can be used as a sword? Yes.

• Many examples of a lack of Quality assurance above.

Added ones

• Our ship screen. The several other ships in "maintenance" is just weird. Seems really "unprofessional" I guess? Also every player notices this one. This one can still be dealt with, not sure why it hasn't been.

• Several PC clients. I can see why they're doing it. Hoping to get more players by being on multiple platforms. I still don't like it though. This one's super up to debate. I'm sure some players don't mind this and I accept that. Maybe just a nitpick with me. I guess I just like everything being in one place. However this leads to something a lot of you might care about a bit more. My next point.

• No extra security option like jp has (second factor authentication?). I think they get a code texted to their phone if signed up for it when they want to sign in. Apparently due to not having a "main sega account" we can't actually get this. Really unfortunate. I would like this feature.

• JP got mark receptors before outside of AC/SG sources. I THINK the first ones were available via a campaign and not from ac/sg. NA should have had a campaign for these in my opinion at least once that wasn't locked behind scratching 30+ times. Just found this one scummy. Proof thanks to Church: https://www.bumped.org/psublog/pso2-jp-maintenance-02-27-2019/

SO I ask you? Why settle for less? Why settle for missing things? PSO2's gacha is very very expensive. You deserve the full game. Don't settle for less of an effort. I hope at least all of you can agree on this. This topic may have a lot of complaining, but it's for all of us.

Is pso2 NA as it is still a good game? Sure. Do us NA'ers deserve to be cared about? Yes. Our time and money is precious. I personally don't want to feel bad about playing the NA version. I want to feel my time and or money is well spent. Remember Sega the internet exists, we know what's missing. we put effort into this game, we want effort from you. Sure, you did better than PSU NA, but.... that's realllllly not hard. All these tiny problems add up and feel really cash grabby. I don't want to play a cash grab. JP is far from perfect as well. PSO2 in general is far from perfect, but that's a whole different topic. Na has done some things right over jp, but I can only really make a tiny list. Arks hours was a good idea. Triggers for urgent quests was also a good idea, kind of.

If you can't have all the events? Fine we can't have 8 years worth of events in 1. I accept that. Try to find a feasible solution and also keep in mind, your JP version exists. It is easy to find out what they get, it always will be. Do not release something on JP and right after give us a inferior version. It feels really bad. This doesn't look good for NGS' future when it comes out. I am very very close to not giving NGS NA even a chance, I've almost run out of optimism.

Anyone feel free to chime in on what's missing. Or help me with links. 😄 Give this topic some love! FORCE @GM-Deynger TO READ THIS. Make them take us more seriously! Thanks for reading!!!!! Show your support! Feel free to disagree, but just remember, I tried to put as much care as I could into this topic. I don't want to see NA versions of Sega games get shafted anymore! Also, NO FIGHTING. There is no point of fighting here. I don't want this topic to get locked. This is my last attempt to make the game better. Have a nice day!

Tldr; I want NA to be cared about. Don't we deserve better? It's not right stuff is missing and that's what this topic is about. Also how this effects NGS. Is NGS going to be missing stuff/lacking events as well? I reallly think you should read the rest of the topic though, better context.

Must be getting to a dire situation on JP, this is the second "why settle PLEASE COME TO JP" thread in a week

Weren't a lot of people for the ff14 collab? What happened to that?

They can't just will a collab at any time that they want to happen.

Some sg/ac items we have here are free on jp.

And some items that are free here are sg/ac items on jp.

JP has a web cafe. You get points while logged in at a web cafe (which there was a shop for) and I think you get premium while logged in there as well.

Isn't this literally shut down because of covid?

Phantasy star idola not linked to pso2 na. Makes me think idola NA was just a cash grab.

Different company handling it.

As for censorship, you tried to say thats not what the topic is about and then the TL;DR is literally 25% about censorship...

There are things I agree with, such as the untradable camos issue, but that's likely a bug. Yeah it takes a bit to fix, but you can tell how much SEGA is backed up on bug fixing just by today's JP bug fix notes which were GIGANTIC.

@Laep said in PSO NA, a analysis/rant on the good, the bad, the content:

Must be getting to a dire situation on JP, this is the second "why settle PLEASE COME TO JP" thread in a week

This is not a "come to jp thread", I currently play NA. I'm TRYING to make NA a better place. To make NA worth our time.

@Theuberclips said in PSO NA, a analysis/rant on the good, the bad, the content:

JP has a web cafe. You get points while logged in at a web cafe (which there was a shop for) and I think you get premium while logged in there as well.

Isn't this literally shut down because of covid?

And some items that are free here are sg/ac items on jp.

Phantasy star idola not linked to pso2 na. Makes me think idola NA was just a cash grab.

Different company handling it.

As for censorship, you tried to say thats not what the topic is about and then the TL;DR is literally 25% about censorship...

The shut down because of covid is irrelevant. That feature has existed in jp for a very very long time. I'm saying the technology exists and isn't utilized in NA. I'm not even talking about web cafes for us. They could have used that for xbox players, instead they had to pretty much pay for premium while being free, and pay extra to get premium. That's not right.

Fair enough. JP vastly outweighs us on that one though.

Why should phantasy star idola be handled by another company in the first place? I find this to be a bad decision on their part.

And it's a tldr, and a overview. A lot of my points are about stuff that is missing. I've barely even mentioned what is censored. I'm even unsure what is censored or just a oversight. It still makes me feel bad so it went there. It even says you should read the whole topic for more context. edit: I changed the tldr a lil.

To me this doesn't read like a "Please come to JP" topic like the other one does. It comes across as a more earnest effort to get Global (it stopped being called NA eight months ago) past some of the really questionable omissions it's had for a surprisingly long time.

That said, some of these points have further information that's worth sharing, and others I fully agree with and am equally baffled by. To help this post's readability I'll start the response for each of the bullets I choose to respond to with a summary:

@RikaPSO said in PSO NA, a analysis/rant on the good, the bad, the content:

The free smart innerwear. [snip] What's the deal here????

Agree

Honestly this will never not be ridiculous. Innerwears like Silence Lied [In] are identically discreet and they've given Global players a Versus Annihilation choice ticket so every Global player has free access to that now. That single-handedly rules out both censorship and monetisation as possible reasons. What the heck is left?

And before anyone calls me out on it yes I main a male character. But it still bothers me both that several paid-currency female basewears cannot look as their creators (Sega) intended, and that players cannot best use several paid-currency basewear because they were made to use Smart Inner as the innerwear. And it frustrates me that despite this having been brought up dozens of times it's never been looked at, which is a reasonable cause for worry that Global will be granted the same default options as JP for New Genesis.

Why doesn't Cougar NX spawn

Detail

If I remember, that's a collaboration enemy? Perhaps there's some licensing issues with it?

The xbox version players having to have xbox live gold to play. I'm not sure if this is the case anymore.

Detail

Microsoft is scrapping the Xbox Live subscription requirement for free-to-play games and services which should be coming into effect very soon.

How does this effect PSO2:NGS? When JP get's a event on JP, do we just get nothing, or just a watered down version?

Agree

What bothers me most about our highly scuffed 20th Anniversary celebration is when it happened.

Most of our events from May 2020 to March 2021 have been full bore, but if they hadn't been we'd have been able to excuse it for either the event itself needing the content from a future Episode we hadn't reached yet or to simplify the event to allow us to rush through the content progression faster.

But we've broadly caught up with JP now. With the exception of a handful of quest types like CM3 and a small number of upgrades like 50k AP per week, we're almost in parity. We even get some changes like 50 Parallel World clears on the same day as JP.

So why is it now we're getting a watered down version of something JP just got? That's what confuses me. I know they're focusing on New Genesis but the GMs have signalled in the past that they'd like to reduce players setting the game down until NGS and giving us feature-stripped versions of events is only going to make that worse, surely?

I just hope this is because of the New Genesis focus, or perhaps a rather unfortunately-chosen means to alleviate some of the alleged recent JP complaints that Global is getting more than them. If this sort of thing happens after New Genesis releases, Global players' confidence is going to plummet fast since many of us remember that as what killed Blue Burst and Universe.

not a lot of thought seems to go through released content at times. (see lack of the 13* unit exchange with some of the new urgent quests being released)

Agree

Especially with that example. It'd have made sense if the missing 13★ unit exchange was an oversight in the maintenance two weeks ago, but it's been one of the hottest player requests since very shortly after it ended and it's nowhere to be found today while players are sitting on literally dozens of 13★ units now. I don't like using the word but that really seems quite incompetent on the developers' part.

Phantasy star idola not linked to pso2 na.

Detail

Another company took on the license to publish and run IDOLA in the west. We don't know whether Sega / Microsoft / ESTsoft had tried assembling the means to run it first, and while we can presume there were some efforts to work with Boltrend Games on connecting the two (there was a brief promotion on the PSO2 side to celebrate its release) it seems most likely this ran afoul of separate handlers being unable to agree terms.

Our announced updates times. JP get's announcements for content that doesn't exist a month in advance. We get our announcements a couple days in advance for content that already exists. I just don't get it.

Agree

And the biggest agree of the list. For a long time it's hit a lot of Global players as weird that we go into most maintenances knowing little to nothing about what we'll be getting from them, or even worried that we might not be getting various additions that for our content progression we are overdue and sometimes badly need (case in point the 13★ unit options).

This is sometimes over-reported, such as the outcry for L ring slotting into units which we only got a little later than we should have done - and when we did, we got the revised version that didn't destroy the rings way ahead of time - so I'm wary about getting genuine complaint confused with the occasional exaggerated whining.

But to be clear, it really would be nice if we were given the kind of detail about upcoming updates that JP players have enjoyed for years including the whole life of Global to date. It seems quite obvious (I hope!) that the bottleneck is the JP development team not providing our community management team with the information to share in the first place.

What's weird is that besides parity itself, I know some people are looking forward to being on par with JP for New Genesis because it'll mean we can just read the upcoming update details shared in Japanese and not have to wait. And that's really a bit of a silly situation to be in.

physical merchandise? Not sure why this doesn't exit. I'm sure some would be VERY interested

Agree

The funny thing is I've recently expressed such myself.

21 players will benefit from a merchandise giveaway that's starting soon. That's clearly meant to be a one-time thing since items like the album CD have a disclaimer about the in-game item code not working on Global. But what's really weird is those items now have prices, in dollars.

Sega have multiple online merch stores called Sega Shop that would be perfect for it, including for North America with international delivery to most countries, the UK and the EU both with international delivery to several countries.

These are shops that sell iPhone 8 cases for Altered Beast, a series that last saw a game in 2005. I don't buy any argument that says Phantasy Star Online 2 wouldn't do better in the store than that.

I been whining about the missing weapons for months! they don't seem to care.

I was expecting we would get 13* unit exchange, riser/fluxio, 15* Hr/Ph/Et weapon collection or maybe some appearance of Xia(If she isn't dead already, I can't even remember the last time I see her) but it seem like I have way too much expectation.

Maybe I'll just hibernate until NGS come since they seem to care about that more than base pso2 now, or maybe they'll messed it up on NGS too idk.

Thankyou so much for anyone who came to take the time to read, even if ya disagree. 😄 I'll try to reply to your points @Miraglyth when I get the chance!

Also about voice ticket, I played on SEA server when it was still running and they have voice ticket in their scratch. iirc it's pretty much the same on Taiwan server too. Which really make me question why Global can't do the same or it's just that they're less competent than those shitty publisher. 🤷

@Melforne

I don't know maybe they are less competent who know? 😿

@Melforne said in PSO NA, a analysis/rant on the good, the bad, the content:

Also about voice ticket, I played on SEA server when it was still running and they have voice ticket in their scratch. iirc it's pretty much the same on Taiwan server too. Which really make me question why Global can't do the same or it's just that they're less competent than those shitty publisher. 🤷

Copyright and VA contracts are a very delicate matter so I could see why GL doesn't have voice tickets that aren't PUSONICOMI.

• Voice tickets? What's so hard about this one? These voices EXIST ingame already and always have. Partner characters have these voices, why can't we? "But then we'd have to pay the...", then pay them. Fine if you can't get voices for every anime collab ticket, but not the base game voices???

"Then pay them" It shows that you've never looked into how expensive some of the voice actors voice packages may be, VA contracts are very specific and when making a "Voice ticket sale" you need to specify a time period in which these will be sold and how much % of the revenue the VA's agency will get from the sale, so while they most likely did a contract such as "Use voice for BOSS , Story , Partners" you're technically not selling those so the agency doesn't get a cut out of that aside from the premium paid for the job done initially , so if they were to sell the voice tickets again that would be paying EACH individual VA which is a TON of money involved for something that not a lot of people might invest in due to a lot of players just playing with a muted game.

You're allowed to criticize what you're given regardless of the circumstance. Making fun of it is how we get lousy games.

@Miraglyth said in PSO NA, a analysis/rant on the good, the bad, the content:

If I remember, that's a collaboration enemy? Perhaps there's some licensing issues with it?

It is a collab enemy but Border Break is a SEGA IP so that shouldn't be much of an issue.