Help please with controller setup

Trying to find a decent bind setup for a normal xbox 360 USB controller is proving to be impossible for even one class of my choice, rifle Ph, as I need all 6 of my PA slots to get a comfortable spread of all my PAs+movement Tech (zond something) and I'm left with nothing not taken for normal play that's easily doable. I'm stuck using controller for now since a sudden medical problem is making my hands numb, I will see a doctor asap but until it gets better, a controller is the only way I can play anything, and mine has no paddles at all.

in the settings there's a part to change the controller commands but thats is pretty much all that can be helped, the configuration is up to the person to find what is the most confortable setup and to help with that do it in the training room so you can use your PAs and combos.

@ZeeHero9271 I remember @VanillaLucia posting some interesting controller keybinds through Steam, but I can't find the posts atm so hopefully he'll see this.

FWIW, my 2 alts have run into similar roadblocks and I've approached them each differently:

• For my Force I have the same Rod equipped in multiple weapon slots with different PAs. Each weapon slot has a movement PA and Megiverse equipped, but the damage dealing PAs are different so I just change weapons when I want to use a different element. (Still kind of annoying because it takes 2 button presses to switch weapons)

• For my Hero I have a single TMG equipped with all damage dealing PAs and moved everything else to the sub-pallet. However, I mainly use the sub-pallet for the movement PA and Hero Time as I have a Lifesteal sword I switch to through Hero's ability to cycle weapons.

On my end I run the following which can be linked here via Reddit as I cannot recall where my previous post was on the Steam Forums:

Default Controls (Xbox Buttons):

• A: Jump
  • B: Interact
  • X: Action 1
  • Y: Action 2
  • LB: Unmapped
  • RB: Back Palette/Rear Palette
  • LT: Lock-On (on a Full Pull + Release this triggers "Z" on the keyboard which changes the camera to the over-the-shoulder camera and back)
  • RT: Action 3
  • LS: Call Subpalette/Use Subpalette Item
  • RS: Change Camera Mode (this is a placeholder that can be changed with anything, perhaps just Lock-On itself)

Steam Input (LB Shift) Action Set:

• LB + X: Subpalette1 ("1" above the WASD on the Keyboard)

• LB + Y: Subpalette 2 ("2" above the WASD on the Keyboard)

• LB + RT: Subpalette 3 ("3" above the WASD on the Keyboard)

• LB + B: Subpalette 4 ("4" above the WASD on the Keyboard)

• LB + D-Pad Left: Weapon 1 ("Numpad 1" on the Keyboard)

• LB + D-Pad Down: Weapon 2 ("Numpad 2" on the Keyboard)

• LB + D-Pad Up: Subpalette 1 (Chat Shortcut set to "/spal1" which I have set to Control+F1 on the keyboard)

• LB + D-Pad Right: Subpalette 2 (Chat Shortcut set to "/spal2" which I have set to Control+F2 on the keyboard)

• LB + LS: Subpalette 6 ("6" above the WASD on the Keyboard which typically means as this is my Photon Blast/Dark Blast)

• LB + RS: Subpalette 0 ("0" above the WASD on the Keyboard which typically means this is my Moon Atomizer)

Steam Input (RB Shift) Action Set:

• RB + A: Dodge Action ("X" below the WASD on the Keyboard)

• RB + B: Subpalette 5 ("5" above the WASD on the Keyboard)

• RB + D-Pad Left: Weapon 3 ("Numpad 3" on the Keyboard)

• RB + D-Pad Down: Weapon 4 ("Numpad 4" on the Keyboard)

• RB + D-Pad Up: Subpalette 3 (Chat Shortcut set to "/spal3" which I have set to Control+F3 on the keyboard)

• RB + D-Pad Right: Subpalette 4 (Chat Shortcut set to "/spal4" which I have set to Control+F4 on the keyboard)

• RB + LS: Subpalette 6 ("6" above the WASD on the Keyboard which typically means as this is my Photon Blast/Dark Blast)

• RB + RS: Subpalette 0 ("0" above the WASD on the Keyboard which typically means this is my Moon Atomizer)

Steam Input (LB + RB Shift) as Shift Modifiers for both LB and RB Shifts:

• LB + RB + X: Subpalette7 ("7" above the WASD on the Keyboard)

• LB + RB + Y: Subpalette 8 ("8" above the WASD on the Keyboard)

• LB + RB + B: Subpalette 9 ("9" above the WASD on the Keyboard)

• LB + RB + D-Pad Left: Weapon 5 ("Numpad 5" on the Keyboard)

• LB + RB + D-Pad Down: Weapon 6 ("Numpad 6" on the Keyboard)

• LB + RB + D-Pad Up: Subpalette 5 (Chat Shortcut set to "/spal5" which I have set to Control+F5 on the keyboard)

• LB + RB + D-Pad Right: Subpalette 6 (Chat Shortcut set to "/spal6" which I have set to Control+F6 on the keyboard)

My preference for these controls comes from playing Dragon's Dogma Online and Dragon's Dogma where you have two "palette" buttons that switch the inputs depending on your context. For instance, in Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen you have your normal attack and your heavy attack alongside your interaction button. However, if you hold the palette swap buttons (L1/R1 or L2/R2 on PlayStation controls) you switch to different pages of attacks you can map and use. Phantasy Star Online 2 is already very close to this so what I have done is that I have made it so you can easily access your subpalette using another button (in my case L1/LB) and using the same button inputs and combinations you would use for your back palette/rear palette.

You can definitely switch these up if you would like as I helped a friend set their controls so that they can use the triggers at the palette swapping buttons instead and they kept LB as a dodge button instead of a lock-on button which as a result allowed them to keep RB as Action 3 for both the subpalette and normal gameplay. My logic for this subpalette then follows with an example:

• Subpalette 1: Photon Art/Technique (or Item if you are a Etoile or a Luster)

• Subpalette 2: Photon Art/Technique (or Item if you are a Etoile or a Luster)

• Subpalette 3: Photon Art/Technique (or Item if you are a Etoile or a Luster)

• Subpalette 4: Photon Art/Technique (or Item if you are a Etoile or a Luster)

• Subpalette 5: Photon Art/Technique (or Item if you are a Etoile or a Luster)

• Subpalette 6: Photon Blast/Dark Blast

• Subpalette 7: Class Skill/Technique

• Subpalette 8: Class Skill/Technique

• Subpalette 9: Class Skill/Technique/Compound Technique/Complex Photon Art/Healing Items

• Subpalette 0: Moon Atomizer

Due to how easy it is to access all items on the subpalette my first five items are dedicated to attacks or healing techniques because they are all within reach of a button press which in my case is holding L1/LB or R1/RB and pressing the normal attack buttons. As a result, the second half of the subpalette is more for utility which can be expanded with input options like Dualshock 4's Touchpad (which I also use for similar mappings). As it is utility, you would have to press both LB and RB together to access these which makes it very easy to keep Shifta/Deband/Zanverse away and elsewhere or to have your Compound Techniques/Complex Photon Arts/Class Skills tucked away without having to dig through the subpalette or to make more awkward movements such as clicking around on the subpalette to get to the skill you need. This also allows you to easily swap between weapons and subpalettes so you can have something like each Hunter weapon or each Fighter weapon having access to all of their photon arts you want to use (effectively up to eleven actions at once) as the subpalette is used just as easily as the main palette and the back palette.

To run this in Steam Input, you have to enable Steam Input mapping on your controller and then you will have to go and run Steam as an Administrator due to the game's anti-cheat (GameGuard) blocking all keyboard-related inputs if you do not run Steam as an Administrator.

In my process, you only have three action sets in total (the Default, the LB Shift, and the RB Shift) and LB/RB on the Default action set is mapped instead to switch action sets. When released those two will return to the Default action set. In the related inputs, LB will have a Shift Modifier for RB being pressed (and the same for RB having LB as its Shift Modifier) which will let you combine LB + RB to have the combined inputs I mentioned. You do not have to go this full mile but this makes it so that you are fully compatible with the default controls and have an extra layer. However if you follow my controls completely (which includes lacking a Dodge Action) you will have a rough time if you do not use Steam as an Administrator due to how essential I consider the Dodge Action. My setup makes the Force difficult to play due to losing the ability to save your techniques but a friend of mine I mentioned earlier kept their dodge action binding and instead lost their "Change Camera Mode" option so their Lock-On ended up on the Right Stick as their Left Bumper became their dodge button.

My hope is that Sega allows us as players to map the subpalette naturally to the controller or to even give players the ability to have a second palette button like what I have ended up doing to give controller users access to the subpalette. But I will definitely say that at least for myself this is a very big quality-of-life differences when you can use the subpalette just as easily as you can with the main palette and rear palette alongside having access to chat shortcuts (which you can expand on further for yourself) or when you can swap weapons/equipment with ease.

If you need further assistance or clarification I can try my best to help.