WARNING! For Steam users

Today I got disconnected from the game because of ISP issues and then I tried to run the game again and it can't get through the gameguard phase,I tried to restart the client for a few times,and still failing,and I thought,"Hey maybe some of the game files are corrupted,let's try to verify the game files through steam",and oh boy what a grave mistake that I was made. I verified the game and in a matter of seconds,it's done,and told me that I need to download the whole game again,THE WHOLE 70GB!!! FML!!! XD. This maybe not a problem for people with Ultra fast connection,but my slow crappy Asian internet connection will take minimum 1 day just to download the game.

I just want to warn people so they won't make the same mistake that I did.

NEVER EVER VERIFY PSO2 GAME FILES IF YOU'RE A STEAM CLIENT USER!!!

This is so stupid,this is the 1st time happened to me,after all of this years I'm using steam and playing MMOs through steam. This shouldn't be happened at all,actually this is an amateurish mistake from PSO2 dev team,even games from indi dev from early access never done this to me.

You add GLOBAL in your game name now,that means almost THE WHOLE WORLD can play your game,the dev should already know this world doesn't have the same connection speed and quality,this verify files feature is crucial for game with big file size.

I have my lessons now,after this I'm gonna backed up the games in my other hard drive so that if this happened again I can just delete the whole game folder and copy paste the back up

And for the PSO2 dev team,I hope you guys can fix this issues so that future and present PSO2 players that have client issues can fix their problem much faster and efficiently.

Just remember DON'T EVER VERIFY YOUR PSO GAME FILES AND MAKE BACK UP YOUR PSO2 GAME FOLDER!

Well at least until there's a confirmation from PSO2 team that that have fixed this issues

Thanks!

If I had to guess the file structure in the verification phase is not linked properly which essentially leads to a nuking of the entire PSO2 install and a long redownload process. Seems like something that would have been thought about if you ask me 🤷

@YagyuChan Yup that might be it,as I said before that's an amateurish mistake from the PSO2 team dev. I don't think they never use Steam before,a game developer is a gamer too,right? lol I bet they also play other games on the daily basis,and we still can agree most of us, dev or not are using steam.I bet they also must have some kind of problems in their game and they use the verify feature to try to fix it.

I'm just hoping they'll fix this,i think it's an easy task to do since even an early access game dev can do this.I can't see a game developer from SEGA can't do this lol

Before this happened again to other people that didn't read forum about the warning. Or hey I should make this post again on steam and maybe can ask somebody to pin this (in this forum and steam discussion)

modules:composer.user_said_in, @FallenDevil86, WARNING! For Steam users

I'm just hoping they'll fix this,i think it's an easy task to do since even an early access game dev can do this.

So... what is "this", exactly?

Verify integrity most likely just checks that your copy of the game files match the version of them in the public branch. Steam might do similar when the game is updated to decide which files need to be downloaded (though it might limit this to a list of files that have been changed as part of the updates published since the last time the user updated).

Point being, we might not want to rule out the possibility that the GameGuard issue encountered was either indicative or potentially even caused (how does GameGuard interact with PSO2 files again?) the files to be modified in a way that made them all fail verification.

Next time I know I won't be playing for a few hours I'll see if verification does the same for me without that GameGuard issue beforehand. And if it does, I'll immediately re-verify after the download completes to see if it fails successively. That should give us more information about what's happened here.

@Miraglyth said in WARNING! For Steam users:

modules:composer.user_said_in, @FallenDevil86, WARNING! For Steam users

I'm just hoping they'll fix this,i think it's an easy task to do since even an early access game dev can do this.

So... what is "this", exactly?

Verify integrity most likely just checks that your copy of the game files match the version of them in the public branch. Steam might do similar when the game is updated to decide which files need to be downloaded (though it might limit this to a list of files that have been changed as part of the updates published since the last time the user updated).

Point being, we might not want to rule out the possibility that the GameGuard issue encountered was either indicative or potentially even caused (how does GameGuard interact with PSO2 files again?) the files to be modified in a way that made them all fail verification.

Next time I know I won't be playing for a few hours I'll see if verification does the same for me without that GameGuard issue beforehand. And if it does, I'll immediately re-verify after the download completes to see if it fails successively. That should give us more information about what's happened here.

This=the ability to verify pso2 files correctly,for now it seems like steam and pso2 files don't link correctly so steam isn't verify the game files properly (it only took vew seconds),it's not right since my other big files games need minutes to verify it all.

Why did I bring early acess games? well Sega is not new in gaming development and steam,they should know this feature better lol

For PSO2 I think steam don't verify the game files,they only update/download the files and put it on top the unupdated files

I just want to make sure my game files integrity is okay,and also I didn't know that gameguard is a separate thing from the game,I thought when I verify the game files if the gameguard files are corrupted it'll just redownload the gameguard files. I was wrong It downloaded the whole game all over again XD

Well at least now I know my mistakes and I don't want this happened to other pso2 players

@FallenDevil86 said in WARNING! For Steam users:

This=the ability to verify pso2 files correctly [snip] it's not right since my other big files games need minutes to verify it all.

Do those other games use GameGuard? Were they failing to launch when you tried to verify them? And so on.

My point here is you've made an assumption that because your game - that was already failing to launch - needed redownloading once, the verify process must be doing something wrong and that it'd definitely happen to everyone else even if their game was running fine when they tried. That's rushing to conclusions a bit.

My other point is that "the ability to verify pso2 files correctly" isn't really an answer to the question. Why is it incorrect now, and what about that incorrectness makes you so confident it would be "an easy task" ?

@FallenDevil86 said in WARNING! For Steam users:

For PSO2 I think steam don't verify the game files

And this is surely a hasty assumption, that Steam inexplicably gives developers the ability to forcibly make its verify integrity facility not actually do any verification. What's the basis for that being your first guess?

More likely, the way PSO2 works may be incompatible with how verify integrity works. If for instance verify integrity uses checksum comparisons and regular PSO2 gameplay marks files such that their checksum changes, that'd cause a consistent verify integrity failure in a way that is far from an easy fix (and remembering we had similar issues with the Microsoft Store).

PSO2's file structure was hideous even by 2012 standards and it hasn't improved since JP release. The game has tens of thousands of files with obfuscated 32-character hex names, some of which are so asininely small Windows reports their disk size as 0 bytes.

2cd92ca4-128a-4591-87fa-4e83d31658da-image.png

I won't discuss the issues that brings, but it's enough to say the game's file structure has been involved with lots of trouble before now and it's quite unlikely to change now unless NGS also provides a completely rebuilt client that finally does away with this kind of trouble.

All that said, I've just exited PSO2 on Steam and verified integrity as I described last post. It took around 30 seconds over two steps (step 2 was something about redistributables that finished too quickly for me to read) so it wasn't near-instant as it was for the OP but it did still fail pretty much everything.

cffb19a1-a2d1-43e9-abe7-7f71b1d689d8-image.png

I'll get to the redownload later. Once it's done I'll immediately re-verify to also check if it fails before the game has even been launched, since that'd be more information. My suspicion for now is that it'd succeed that, but as soon as the game is launched it'd change something to cause verification failure thereafter.

@FallenDevil86 PSO2 isn't the only game with this issue, there are other online games with launchers like PSO2 that have the same problem with Steam's option to verify the files, though it's usually games that get their updates through their launchers and not through Steam that have this issue.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that. PSO2 used to update through its launcher on Steam; a couple months ago they tried to rework it to use Steam but reverted it that same maintenance. More recently they did rework it to use Steam, and I don't recall having to redownload 70 GB at that time. So it's possible that rework itself caused the state of files to change in a way that would cause a one-time verification failure that wouldn't need to be fixed thereafter.

Hmmm,t never play other MMOs,I mean from steam that using game guard before. I was playing game that using game guard years ago,mostly from korean games,and from other publishers like aeria games,etc.This is my 1st time playing steam game that using game guard. I'm so used with the "normal" steam games,so I'm used with a habit,when the games isn't work,fist thing that I would do is verify the game files,if it's okay then work on other solutions if the problems persist.

So this all PSO2 games to have convoluted file structures etc,so this problem is just a bomb waiting to explode (in steam),and the victim is me XD

Oh well I hope NGS will be better in term of files managament,If this happened again when ngs come,it'll be sucks since it'll be more than 100gb of files to download all over again lol

Hey idk,I think this post should be pinned,so newer player like me won't experience this too. And also I'll make the same post at steam discusssion later,just for precaution reason

Game Guard has been established as a garbage and unreliable program since Nexon first launched Mabinogi.

It's partly why Nexon had to develop an in-house program to replace it.

Don't know who worked on that development team or if they're still in the industry, if SEGA wanted to consult Nexon about that.

This happened to my husband and after the reinstall the files were corrupted and he couldn’t get past loading screen. He had to download Tweaker to fix it. It apparently happens with a lot of Steam games.

@Miraglyth said in WARNING! For Steam users:

I'll get to the redownload later. Once it's done I'll immediately re-verify to also check if it fails before the game has even been launched, since that'd be more information.

Sorry for it taking a day to finish; I used Steam to limit the download speed to a level that wouldn't slow down the internet for anyone else here.

As promised I let the post-validation download complete, used Steam's backup feature (which took 45 minutes!) and immediately re-validated without launching the game first.

95e56fb4-ec87-438f-9dd9-c2fad20fc2e2-image.png

The same failure, again after about 30 seconds. I'm really quite surprised by this. Anyone familiar with the old launcher that did all the file management should remember that it would take a significant amount of time to check 90,000+ files, so I'm quite curious about how this is handled on Steam and why it's failing. Does it have a single checksum for a large group of files, and if that one checksum comparison fails all constituent files are labelled as needing redownload?

I uninstalled the (practically zero-size) game and am restoring that backup now (another 40 minutes). It'll be interesting to see if that works; if so that's something Steam users could try to potentially save themselves a full redownload in the future.

Edit: Restoring the backup worked fine, which means either the verification performed at the end of that passed successfully or there isn't verification performed at the end of that. Either way my Steam version is back up and running much faster than it'd have been had I redownloaded the game again.